Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 14, 2024, 08:06:29 AM
:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Other/Miscellaneous
| |-+  Off-Topic Discussion (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Rate The Last Movie You Saw
0 and 7 Guests are viewing this topic. « previous next »
: 1 ... 1394 1395 [1396] 1397 1398 ... 1401
: Rate The Last Movie You Saw  ( 5041941 )
Cusser
Bounty Killer

Remember, I always see the job through !

« #20925 : November 19, 2023, 08:20:34 AM »

"The One who got Away", 1957, British 6/10

The film chronicles the true exploits of Oberleutnant Franz von Werra, a Luftwaffe pilot shot down over Britain in 1940. He initially tried to escape while captive in England, but was later successful during transfer to a Canadian POW camp.[3] Von Werra was the only Axis POW to succeed in escaping and make it home during the war.

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

The joy of loving is to live in a world of Mandom

« #20926 : November 21, 2023, 01:54:26 PM »

The Innocent (2022) - 5/10. Lame Louis Garrel film, winner of 2 Cesars, nominated for eleven! Proof yet again that the French don't know shit about movies.

"McFilms are commodities and, as such, must be QA'd according to industry standards."
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

« #20927 : November 22, 2023, 04:29:25 PM »

The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari (1920) The Noir Style Template - Directed by Robert Wiene.
Written by Carl Mayer and Hans Janowitz. Cinematography by Willy Hameister, Production Design by Walter Reimann, Walter R?hrig, and Hermann Warm, Set Decoration by Hermann Warm

I'm not a film historian, but this film is most probably the first where the Noir Visual Style, we all love, was originally depicted in the moving image.
The roots of the style are in Expressionism, Cubism, and Futurism with World War I injecting a mass insanity element that expressed itself aka German Expressionism. This was realized and depicted on film, "on the cheap," by incorporating all four of the above into innovated three dimensional set designs by Production Designers Hermann Warm, Walter Reimann, and Walter R?hrig.

"The first Expressionist films made up for a lack of lavish budgets by using set designs with wildly non-realistic, geometrically absurd angles, along with designs painted on walls and floors to represent lights, shadows, and objects. The plots and stories of the Expressionist films often dealt with madness, insanity, betrayal and other "intellectual" topics triggered by the experiences of World War I. (as opposed to standard action-adventure and romantic films)." (Thompson, Kristin. Bordwell, David. Film History: An Introduction, Third Edition. McGraw Hill. 2010, p.91)

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

« #20928 : November 22, 2023, 05:38:59 PM »

The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari (1920) The Noir Style Template - Directed by Robert Wiene.
Written by Carl Mayer and Hans Janowitz. Cinematography by Willy Hameister, Production Design by Walter Reimann, Walter R?hrig, and Hermann Warm, Set Decoration by Hermann Warm
Yes, but how do you score it? Is it of historical interest only, or does it still have the power to grab us in 2023?

"McFilms are commodities and, as such, must be QA'd according to industry standards."
stanton
Bounty Killer

« #20929 : November 23, 2023, 03:36:21 AM »

"The One who got Away", 1957, British 6/10

The film chronicles the true exploits of Oberleutnant Franz von Werra, a Luftwaffe pilot shot down over Britain in 1940. He initially tried to escape while captive in England, but was later successful during transfer to a Canadian POW camp.[3] Von Werra was the only Axis POW to succeed in escaping and make it home during the war.

A surprising story for a British movie about the war.

The German version concealed that von Werra's luck to escape was in the long term bad luck for him: He returned to the German air force and died in the war in 1941.

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

« #20930 : November 23, 2023, 05:33:56 AM »

Yes, but how do you score it? Is it of historical interest only, or does it still have the power to grab us in 2023?

check your PM ;-)

« : November 23, 2023, 05:35:21 AM cigar joe »

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
Cusser
Bounty Killer

Remember, I always see the job through !

« #20931 : November 23, 2023, 08:16:56 AM »

The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari (1920)
We viewed this way back in film class in 1974.  I remember very little of it.

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

« #20932 : November 23, 2023, 09:44:24 AM »

We viewed this way back in film class in 1974.  I remember very little of it.

Here watch this beautiful restoration on the largest screen you have: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-lfEp5t2FlE

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

« #20933 : November 25, 2023, 01:44:51 PM »

Le otto montagne / The Eight Mountains (2022) - 10/10. A friendship between two 12-year-old boys begins in the Italian Alps. Forty years later, it ends there. This is a very well-written film which, I understand, is adapted from a novel. The nature photography is spectacular, although, oddly, the entire film is composed for Academy ratio. The editing is so fine I had to restrain myself from applauding at every cut.
1st blu-ray viewing. Given the aspect ratio the home theater experience is on par with the one in the cinema. The alps look great, and I want to visit. Interesting that this and Top Gun: Maverick, to two best films of 2022, were both bro-mances.  The spirit of Leone not only lives on, it thrives.

Novecento
Bounty Killer

« #20934 : November 27, 2023, 06:42:02 PM »

1st blu-ray viewing. Given the aspect ratio the home theater experience is on par with the one in the cinema. The alps look great, and I want to visit. Interesting that this and Top Gun: Maverick, to two best films of 2022, were both bro-mances.  The spirit of Leone not only lives on, it thrives.

Just ordered the Blu-ray. Didn?t catch it theatrically, but figure it?s worth the blind purchase. However, your comments on Top Gun: Maverick concern me? granted I didn?t catch that theatrically either, so never got the full experience so to speak.

« : November 27, 2023, 06:43:16 PM Novecento »
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

« #20935 : November 27, 2023, 07:57:47 PM »

However, your comments on Top Gun: Maverick concern me? granted I didn?t catch that theatrically either, so never got the full experience so to speak.
I saw it twice in IMAX, once for me, once for you. So you're covered.

Trois couleurs. Rouge (1993) - 9/10. Still not quite perfect. https://35mm.online/en/vod/feature-films/trois-couleurs-rouge

noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

« #20936 : November 28, 2023, 02:52:41 AM »

Trois couleurs. Rouge (1993) - 9/10. Still not quite perfect. https://35mm.online/en/vod/feature-films/trois-couleurs-rouge

Unfortunately not.

The Wrong Man - 6,5/10
Pretty well done, but the psychologic trauma the whole affair produces on the Fonda family didn't age well. It's as if they had lost a kid. Cheer up guys.

Petit Paysan (Hubert Charuel, 2017) - 7/10
It starts out very good but cannot figure out a way to end so it becomes clich? and avoidant of all the difficulties the character created for himself earlier. But despite the whole plot, the movie is a great way to learn about farmers in Europe these days. Also, the first film where Swann Arlaud was discovered by mainstream audiences.

« : November 28, 2023, 02:55:33 AM noodles_leone »

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

« #20937 : November 28, 2023, 06:27:15 PM »

A plein temps/ Full Time (2021) - 7/10. A single mother of two must commute each day to Paris where she serves as the head chambermaid of a 5-star hotel. Seeking to better herself, she risks her position by surreptitiously absenting herself from work to go to a job interview. There is also a transport strike on, a new maid to train, and she must get home before the woman who watches her kids has a meltdown. Can saving the world be any tougher? This is quotidian life shot, edited, and scored as if it were a thriller. And it's a lean 88 minutes as well. Now streaming free on amazon Prime.

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

« #20938 : November 30, 2023, 08:29:29 PM »

The Flesh of the Orchid (1975) - 8/10. Maybe this is a retelling of "No Orchids For Miss Blandish," although it sure is different. James Hadley Chase got a writing credit, though, so maybe.  Charlotte Rampling is first billed, which makes sense, as she does a full frontal nude scene here. She also puts out the eyes of every guy who tries to jump her. The interesting thing is, she's not crazy, it's just everyone around her who is. This leads to a rather high body count by the end of the picture. Interesting supporting cast: Simone Signoret, Bruno Cremer, Hans Christian Blech. Alida Valli has a weird cameo. This was Patrice Chereau's first feature.

« : November 30, 2023, 08:31:22 PM dave jenkins »

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

« #20939 : December 02, 2023, 11:04:38 PM »

Napoleon (1955) - 6/10. Sacha Guitry's take on the great man. I haven't seen Didley Squat's recent effort, but I'm going to assume it doesn't have as much singing and dancing as this version. Also, none of the bon mots. This has two different actors playing Bonaparte (Daniel Gelin and Raymond Pellegrin), and Michele Morgan as Josephine. Guitry himself plays Talleyrand, who narrates the story. The cameos are amazing: Gabin, Jean Marais, Yves Montand, Micheline Presle, Serge Reggiani, Orson Welles, Dany Robin, Maria Schell, Danielle Darrieux. There's one particularly hilarious one of Erich von Stroheim playing Beethoven. Watch it in two parts, beginning here: http://rarefilmm.com/2019/06/napoleon-1955/

: 1 ... 1394 1395 [1396] 1397 1398 ... 1401  
« previous next »
:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM

SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines