Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 22, 2024, 02:14:43 AM
:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Other/Miscellaneous
| |-+  Off-Topic Discussion (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Rate The Last Movie You Saw
0 and 2 Guests are viewing this topic. « previous next »
: 1 ... 1398 1399 [1400] 1401 1402
: Rate The Last Movie You Saw  ( 5064707 )
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

The joy of loving is to live in a world of Mandom

« #20985 : March 07, 2024, 08:45:11 PM »

Trois Couleurs : Rouge 8/10
Second viewing. This one sometimes reaches the greatness of Blue but doesn't sustain it on the long run. I wonder if Kieslwski didn't get a bit lost in his style and forgot to focus on what he was actually capturing once the art direction and the great camera moves were set up. The dialogues are especially lacking here and there. It's still a great movie, but only the shadow on the Dostoevskian masterpiece it could have been. Of course the way it ties the trilogy together in the end helps it steal a point in rating.
He perhaps overedited his pictures, snipping out things that most audiences would have found useful. I think this is a temptation that most filmmakers avoid, but with K I think he assumed his viewers knew what he was doing as well as he did. He really hated building in redundancies. There's a moment in Red when the camera suddenly dollies back down a hallway and then pans to reveal an empty room. That shot really looks cool, but it would sure have been nice if K had left in some hint as to its significance.

"McFilms are commodities and, as such, must be QA'd according to industry standards."
noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

« #20986 : March 08, 2024, 03:13:23 AM »

Maybe K relied too much on "significance" and not enough on having something happen on the screen? Hence cryptic dialogues and camera moves that "mean" something but rarely "do" much? I'm overstating my point for the sake of clarity: he was not the most cerebral filmmaker ever, he was just a bit too cerebral, or too philosophical, losing some of the basics on the way.

« : March 08, 2024, 03:16:44 AM noodles_leone »

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

« #20987 : March 09, 2024, 06:52:11 PM »

About Dry Grasses (2023) - 10/10. It takes three hours before we get to the grasses--the movie is mostly about a snow-bound town in eastern Anatolia and the teachers who live there. Truly great actors that no one outside of Turkey could possibly know about perform a series of interconnected character studies. The term "Chekhovian" is applied to the film in several reviews, and it's warranted. Either Nuri Bilge Ceylan has cribbed directly from the great Russian writer (he's done it before) or he has now mastered the art of uncanny imitation. Which means, of course, that the film is very talky. But it remains a very cinematic movie also: the director has developed the ability to film in available light and only in available light. Or so it seems. If he uses fill lighting at any time it is completely undetectable. Great writing, great performances, great photography. Forget the Oscars: this is the best movie of 2023.

"McFilms are commodities and, as such, must be QA'd according to industry standards."
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

« #20988 : March 11, 2024, 05:21:36 PM »

Once Upon a Time in Anatolia (2011) - 9/10. After apprehending a murderer, Turkish authorities go in search of a body. They find it. Nuri Bilge Ceylan: "The title was an actual quote from one of the drivers in the real story, and even though I like Sergio Leone, there?s no reference to him in this film. Maybe this is a Turkish western, but I never thought about it." https://cineuropa.org/en/interview/204434/

The Wind Rises (2013) - 9/10. Wow, an animated feature that's a real movie, and a very good one. Ostensibly about the guy who designed the Japanese Zero for Mitsubishi, the film just skips over the use to which that plane was put. In fact, WWII itself goes missing here. The other fast one Miyazaki pulls is that the guy's wife never had TB at all, that was a condition contracted by a completely fictional character with a similar name pulled from a novel. But what can you say when the results are so good? Anyway, it was something to watch while awaiting the home video release of The Boy and the Heron.

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

« #20989 : March 15, 2024, 07:57:38 AM »

"The Lady with the Dog" / Dama s sobachkoy (1960) - 8/10
Second viewing, first on 35mm film (a pretty good print considering the age). A romance based on Chekhov's short story. The story in its whole complexity: A married man and a married woman fall in love and try to cope with it. Hammy at the worst, breathtaking at the best. Awesome score, especially the lovers' theme - check it out if you can find it somewhere (I couldn't).
So much like a 40s film, it's hard to believe it was released just two years before Tarkovsky's first feature. The guy playing the male lead could be the Russian John Ireland. This would make a great double bill with Brief Encounter.

noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

« #20990 : March 18, 2024, 12:02:05 AM »

Once Upon a Time in Anatolia (2011) - 9/10. After apprehending a murderer, Turkish authorities go in search of a body. They find it. Nuri Bilge Ceylan: "The title was an actual quote from one of the drivers in the real story, and even though I like Sergio Leone, there?s no reference to him in this film. Maybe this is a Turkish western, but I never thought about it." https://cineuropa.org/en/interview/204434/

I own the BD but have only seen the first 15min a long time ago. It was gorgeous to look at. Is there anything more to it than a great atmosphere and gorgeous scenery?

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

« #20991 : March 18, 2024, 09:17:17 AM »

I own the BD but have only seen the first 15min a long time ago. It was gorgeous to look at. Is there anything more to it than a great atmosphere and gorgeous scenery?
Lots of chat. Also, an angel bearing light.

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

« #20992 : March 22, 2024, 07:37:29 PM »

The Dunwich Horror (1970) Director Daniel Haller, Writers Curtis Hanson, Henry Rosenbaum, Ronald Silkosky
Stars Sandra Dee, Dean Stockwell, Ed Begley, Lloyd Bochner, San Jaffe, Talia Coppola Shire. A very good psychedelic version of the H.P. Lovecraft's The Dunwich Horror.

A heads up for Dark Shadows fans. I watched the original Dark Shadows run from roughly 1966 through to the end of the Count Petofi story line November 1969. Then situations changed and I couldn't catch it any longer. I was able to view the Dark Shadows films when they came out on VHS. And I was able to finally view the complete series after I purchased the Coffin Set.

Which brings to the reason for this post. The Leviathan Story Line, which was a bit of an over reach for the budget available on the soap. Well if you want to see what it could have looked like The Dunwich Horror (1970) is what it could have been. It's in the right time period and has a lot of he familiar elements Dunwich is Collinsport,  Dean Stockwell is essentially the Jeb Hawkes character, Sandra Dee is the Carolyn Stoddard character, Ed Begley is a Professor Stokes like character, Lloyd Bochner is a combo Dr. Woodard / Julia Hoffman. You got an old house like Collinwood, a sort of Widows Hill, the Leviathan stone alter and the locked room with the Leviathan. The special effects are great. You can check out a pristine print for free on Tubi. Well worth a watch. 8/10

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

« #20993 : April 05, 2024, 04:17:41 AM »

A Man Like Eva (1984) - 7/10. A great premise--that R.W. Fassbinder's life can be presented as one of his films--is enhanced by the central performance of Eva Mattes. Is that really Evan under all that facial hair? I guess her voice gives her away, but over the course of the picture I forget she's even there and see only Fassbinder. https://rarefilmm.com/2024/04/ein-mann-wie-eva-1984/

Jill
Bounty Killer

This time I did

« #20994 : April 09, 2024, 11:38:56 AM »

Not quite rating, but I don't know where to ask: I've seen there's a new (still ongoing) tv series about Billy the Kid, has anyone seen it? Is it worth a watch?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Billy_the_Kid_(TV_series)

Edit: Dune II - 7/10. The ending felt rushed and unfinished. And now we have to wait for Messiah... Alia not even being born yet is ridiculous. The Baron was extremely underutilized.

« : April 09, 2024, 03:18:56 PM Jill »
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

« #20995 : April 09, 2024, 05:52:49 PM »

5 Fingers (1952) - 8/10. In Ankara, early 1944, the British ambasador's valet (James Mason) sells secrets to the Germans--including details of Operation Overlord!  Based on a true story, this film has several things going for it: Turkish locations ("where the events actually occurred"), a Benny Herrmann score, Mason's performance (of course), Danielle Darrieux, and Joe Mankiewicz's dialogue. Plus there's a very satisfying twist at the end. It was only on this viewing that I realized it was the underling in the German embassy who wrote the book.
Wow, YT comes through again: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gXbgwL9lUUc

Jill
Bounty Killer

This time I did

« #20996 : April 10, 2024, 04:06:45 PM »

Ride the High Country - 7.5/10

Finally got around to watching this. It's an enjoyable piece, although it could have been a bit longer. The characters felt like believeable people, whether decent or terrible. Good to see the usual Peckinpah actors.

I'd compare it to watching an early Verdi opera. Bit of a diamond in the rough, but the core elements are there, and you can see where they will develop.

Gorgeous landscapes, though.

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

« #20997 : April 10, 2024, 04:21:36 PM »

Ride the High Country - 7.5/10

Finally got around to watching this. It's an enjoyable piece, although it could have been a bit longer. The characters felt like believeable people, whether decent or terrible. Good to see the usual Peckinpah actors.

I'd compare it to watching an early Verdi opera. Bit of a diamond in the rough, but the core elements are there, and you can see where they will develop.

Gorgeous landscapes, though.
Now watch The Deadly Companions. :)

Jill
Bounty Killer

This time I did

« #20998 : April 10, 2024, 07:47:21 PM »

Now watch The Deadly Companions. :)

Hope I can find it!

I also should watch Face to Face. Back in the day I couldn't get my hands on it but now I got it (in Italian, with subs).

Jill
Bounty Killer

This time I did

« #20999 : April 12, 2024, 01:16:31 PM »

Face to Face (1967) - 8/10

Pretty solid movie with interesting character development for both leads. Volonte is beautiful, as usual (and since I had a version with Italian audio, I got to listen to his own voice). And William Berger is always a treat to have.

Also I like the 19th century style Italian when they used "voi" instead of "lei" for the formal you. It's what I'm used to in opera  ;D

« : April 12, 2024, 04:41:13 PM Jill »
: 1 ... 1398 1399 [1400] 1401 1402  
« previous next »
:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM

SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines