Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 20, 2024, 02:11:12 AM
:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Other/Miscellaneous
| |-+  Off-Topic Discussion (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Rate The Last Movie You Saw
0 and 3 Guests are viewing this topic. « previous next »
: 1 ... 1399 1400 [1401] 1402
: Rate The Last Movie You Saw  ( 5062867 )
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

The joy of loving is to live in a world of Mandom

« #21000 : April 12, 2024, 06:59:43 PM »

Monster (2023) - 7/10. The latest from Japan's Kore-eda. I don't often like his films, but this one is more interesting than usual. It tells a story from three different perspectives, a kind of Rashomon approach, but without the unreliable narrators. Instead, there is a clear, objective sequence of events, but many of the details are elided on the first pass. On the second pass we learn more, and finally the third time through we get everything necessary to reconstruct the whole story. The filmmakers could have smoothed everything out with simpler chronology, but that would have made for a less interesting film. And it's more than a gimmick; the first telling features a parent's perspective, the second run-through gives us only the information an elementary teacher has, the third version is centered on the two school boys who are the film's central characters. This fits-and-start approach serves to convey what is certainly the film's thesis: that adults can't really understand children. A young person may appear to be a "monster" only because adults lack information, and evil is only the result of misunderstandings.

"McFilms are commodities and, as such, must be QA'd according to industry standards."
Jill
Bounty Killer

This time I did

« #21001 : April 15, 2024, 06:23:14 PM »

My Darling Clementine - 8/10

A nice classic movie. Doc Holliday kinda steals the show (as is his habit, apparently)

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

« #21002 : April 16, 2024, 10:00:19 AM »

My Darling Clementine - 8/10

A nice classic movie. Doc Holliday kinda steals the show (as is his habit, apparently)
For me, the photography steals the show: https://www.fistful-of-leone.com/forums/index.php?topic=1205.0

"McFilms are commodities and, as such, must be QA'd according to industry standards."
Jill
Bounty Killer

This time I did

« #21003 : April 17, 2024, 08:02:49 PM »

Jesse James (1939) - 9/10

A very fun watch. Looks surprisingly beautiful (they probably did some remastering, because the colours and picture quality are excellent for how old it is). Great cast too. Certainly not historically accurate but a good story, and although Jesse is mostly depicted as a folk hero, he still comes off as a complex character.

Now I definitely need to watch the sequel where Frank hopefully kicks Bob Ford's sorry arse.

drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

trust a man who wears both a belt and suspenders?

« #21004 : April 18, 2024, 04:26:24 PM »

Jesse James (1939) - 9/10

A very fun watch. Looks surprisingly beautiful (they probably did some remastering, because the colours and picture quality are excellent for how old it is). Great cast too. Certainly not historically accurate but a good story, and although Jesse is mostly depicted as a folk hero, he still comes off as a complex character.

Now I definitely need to watch the sequel where Frank hopefully kicks Bob Ford's sorry arse.

I have seen both though not in quite a while. I liked both, though I don?t remember my rating and it probably wasn?t as high as yours  ;)

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

« #21005 : April 18, 2024, 08:32:20 PM »

The Beast (2023) - 4/10. WTF is this??? It starts out riffing on a Henry James story ("The Beast in the Jungle") but quickly goes its own way. Apparently, there are three time periods in which the action occurs: 1910, 2017, and 2044. Lea Seydoux moves among them courtesy of a sensory deprivation tank and some weird drug, all for the purpose of "purifying her DNA." WTF? There's a guy she keeps meeting up with in all her "lives" who may be in love with her and she with him. They have a hard time connecting, though. Meanwhile, in 2044, AI has taken over the world which, we gather, is a bad thing. A sense of menace is always present, which manifests itself in Lea's dreams as either evil dolls, a killer pigeon, or Roy Orbison's "Evergreen." WTF? Matters take an even more sinister turn when things devolve into a woman-in-peril picture. I might have enjoyed the Invasion of the Body Snatcher's type ending if the film didn't take so long to get to it. The movie is actually 146 minutes and achieves that in spite of the fact there are no traditional end credits (IMDb explains: "At the end of the movie, there are no final credits, only a QRcode with the text "G?n?rique / Scan me" redirecting to a mp4 video file containing the credits. During these credits, there is an extra scene."} WTF? In any case, the filmmakers needed to cut 30 minutes of bloat out of this thing. Not everyone agrees: consulting with my date afterwards, I learned Mrs. J gave the film an 8/10. WTF?

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

« #21006 : April 19, 2024, 11:59:31 AM »

The Taste of Things/ The Pot Au Feu/ La passion de Dodin Bouffant (2023) - 8/10. Sort of a cross between Love Story and Babette's Feast. Lots of cooking--the film opens with a 20-minute sequence detailing the preparation and consumption of a gourmet meal. Generally this appealed to me, but I wasn't happy with a lot of the digital cinematography--some frames looked like they'd been copied on an old color Xerox machine--and I thought the ending was weak. Also, director Anh Hung Tran occasionally showed his vulgar side: in one match cut, he went from an image a caramelized pear to Juliet Binoche's torso and ass. Yeah, man, how arty.
The recipes: https://www.tasteofthings.film/cookbook

« : April 19, 2024, 05:02:32 PM dave jenkins »

Dust Devil
Bounty Killer

Just an old friend.

« #21007 : April 20, 2024, 12:01:33 AM »

Pulp (1972) - 6/10

Mike Hodges' (of Get Carter fame) second movie is hard to rate as it doesn't take itself very seriously, nevertheless I can not say I was bored. Professional performances and directing that takes advantage of it, as well as the setting and locations. With: Michael Caine, Lionel Stander, Mickey Rooney, Lizabeth Scott and Nadia Cassini (as well as a few others). If you don't find it entertaining, you can immagine how this would look if it was made today.

Jill
Bounty Killer

This time I did

« #21008 : April 25, 2024, 03:17:06 PM »

The Return of Frank James (1940) - 8/10

This was a lot of fun. It's good to see Henry Fonda take the starring role this time (and good to see a lot of characters carry over from the first movie).

Some very beautiful locations, too.

Jill
Bounty Killer

This time I did

« #21009 : April 29, 2024, 06:32:57 PM »

Final Fantasy 7 Advent Children - 7/10

What's going on? I only have a vague idea, even knowing the games. But everything looks ridiculously cool XD

T.H.
Bounty Killer

« #21010 : May 07, 2024, 08:41:02 AM »

Deep Cover (1992) - This has aged well, and it feels much more unique or idiosyncratic than I remembered. It's very well directed by Bill Duke with some great shots and lighting. However, this one does lose momentum at some point in Act III, which keeps it from achieving true greatness. But this is a very worthy neo noir, though I wish Deep Cover the song would have played a more prominent role in the movie. B

Claudia, we need you to appear in LOST COMMAND. It's gonna revolutionize the war genre..
drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

trust a man who wears both a belt and suspenders?

« #21011 : May 08, 2024, 04:22:45 AM »

Unfrosted (2024)

Jerry Seinfeld?s movie about the battle between Kellogg?s and Post to come up with breakfast biscuit that culminated in making of Pop Tarts.

I hardly ever watch comedy but I am a lifelong Seinfeld fan so I watched this. It?s absolutely hilarious, I laughed the entire time. I see it is rated really low (5.6/10 on IMDB) but it?s terrific.

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
T.H.
Bounty Killer

« #21012 : May 08, 2024, 09:42:39 AM »

New Jack City (1992) - A reasonably entertaining movie carried by its cast outside of Judd Nelson, who has a throwaway character that feels like he's in a completely different movie -- I'm not alone in that opinion. It's not one of those movies that improves on additional views, it just functions as passable entertainment. This is one of the token examples of a movie that badly needed an otherworldly soundtrack to elevate the material. A cast can only do so much.  C

Menace II Society (1993) - While the opening 20 minutes arguably approaches greatness, the movie never sputters out of control even though there are a couple awkward spots and it can be labeled as a movie with just a series of bad situations that the characters experience. Where it shines is that it's so damn unapologetic and rough -- much more than I remembered. Almost always, flawed protagonists are infinitely more interesting than squeaky clean characters. Hollywood doesn't have the balls to make a movie like this anymore.  B

Claudia, we need you to appear in LOST COMMAND. It's gonna revolutionize the war genre..
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

« #21013 : May 09, 2024, 11:36:39 PM »

Hiroshima mon amour (1959) - 9/10. I finally figured out why Three Colours: Blue has a cameo (actually two) by Emmanuelle Riva: Kieslowski's film is a response to Resnais's. Both films deal with a lead female who has suffered a traumatic loss; both films show the protagonists working through those traumas; both films explore the themes of memory and forgetting; both films use music as a means of telling the story (late in HMA Riva bends over a sink to splash water on her face; at first we hear only the water; then suddenly up comes the theme associated with life in Nevers: she has recalled, once again, her dead German lover). One big difference is in the conclusions: at the end of HMA, Riva has achieved something resembling a Dianetic "clear"; at the end of Blue, Binoche has written a symphony. I can see why Kieslowski might have wanted to respond in the way that he did. Also, K dispensed with all flashbacks. The flashbacks in HMA, however, are the glory of the film. They allowed Resnais to prove, cinematically, that time is an illusion. Interestingly, I understand that Resnais didn't even consider them to be flashbacks.

Jill
Bounty Killer

This time I did

« #21014 : May 10, 2024, 04:03:55 AM »

According to search I never rated this: Billy Budd (1962) - 9/10

The only reason for the -1 is Peter Ustinov miscasting himself as Captain Vere. He still does a decent job but the character really calls for a more aristocratic looking actor. I wish he cast Sir Alec Guiness, Peter O'Toole or Max von Sydow. A young and cute Terence Stamp makes for an excellent and believeably innocent Billy, and Robert Ryan is a chillingly evil but still tragic Claggart (now that's a perfect casting if I have ever seen one).

I'm surprised there is no more recent film version of this. Isn't it mandatory reading in English-speaking countries? And there's been some popular Age of Sail shows in recent years. The opera is performed relatively frequently, but the movie industry seems to have forgotten this.

: 1 ... 1399 1400 [1401] 1402  
« previous next »
:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM

SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines