Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 18, 2019, 10:10:52 PM
:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Other/Miscellaneous
| |-+  Off-Topic Discussion (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Rate The Last Movie You Saw
0 and 8 Guests are viewing this topic. « previous next »
: 1 ... 339 340 [341] 342 343 ... 1220
: Rate The Last Movie You Saw  ( 2531320 )
Groggy
Bounty Killer

This post gets Agnew's stamp of approval!

« #5100 : January 09, 2009, 02:53:49 PM »

All About Eve - 8/10 - Perhaps a bit too long but more than redeemed by the script and the performances - I especially loved George Sanders, as Addison DeWitt is the kind of film character I love to watch just be an asshole. And the ending was wonderfully mean and karmic.

Saturday nights with Groggy
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

« #5101 : January 09, 2009, 04:40:27 PM »

These Thousand Hills (MELLER ALERT) 6/10

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
Groggy
Bounty Killer

« #5102 : January 09, 2009, 08:59:13 PM »

Doubt - 8-9/10 - Since no consensus was reached while I was here (and since Gran Torino, IMDB's lying aside, wasn't playing at the theater I went to) I made my own selection and am quite satisfied with my choice. Although it takes a bit long to get going, once the main plot gets underway it's endlessly fascinating. The direction and cinematography are quite striking, save a few awkwardly placed Dutch angles. The script is very well-written and never seems to be reaching for profundity; it definitely transcends its stage roots and thanks to Shanley's fine direction it becomes appropriately cinematic. Needless to say the cast is brilliant: Meryl Streep and Philip Seymour Hoffman are both exceptional (particularly the former), and it's worth the price of admission to see just their big confrontation towards the end. Amy Adams does an excellent job as well; she's not only a luminous movie star, she's a very good actress to boot. (Viola Davis also deserves mention for her brief but very strong role as the mother of the boy who's the center of the plot.) The biggest flaw is an incredibly lame, clunky last line that I found borderline insulting, but that's not a fatal flaw. I'm not sure if I definitely want to give it a 9, my next-highest rating; I'll have to chew it over for a bit. But it's damned good, and I'd rate it as my number 2 of the year.

« : January 10, 2009, 07:55:37 PM Groggy »

moviesceleton
Bounty Killer

The glance that makes holes in the silver screen

« #5103 : January 10, 2009, 03:41:26 AM »

Strangers on a Train (1951) - 9.5/10
Definitely one of the best Hitchcock movies I've seen. O0

"Once Upon a Time in America gets ten-minute ovation at Cannes"
moviesceleton
Bounty Killer

« #5104 : January 10, 2009, 05:59:55 AM »

The Killers (1946) - 8.5/10
Siegel's version is waiting in my shelf. I could watch it right away but on the other hand I don't think I want to see the same story twice a day.

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

« #5105 : January 10, 2009, 06:53:31 AM »

The Killers (1946) - 8.5/10
Siegel's version is waiting in my shelf. I could watch it right away but on the other hand I don't think I want to see the same story twice a day.
But it's not the same story (though they are similar). In 1945 you have an insurance investigator working the case, in the 60s version it's the killers themselves who do the investigating. That puts a completely different spin on things.

Ya measly skunk! A-campin’ on my trail and lettin’ me do the work an’ then shootin’ me in the back. IN THE BACK!
T.H.
Bounty Killer

« #5106 : January 10, 2009, 09:45:49 AM »

But it's not the same story (though they are similar). In 1945 you have an insurance investigator working the case, in the 60s version it's the killers themselves who do the investigating. That puts a completely different spin on things.

Siegel's version is pretty damn good, even if the racing scenes drag quite a bit. But this movie has a scene involving John Cassavetes punching Ronald Reagan in the face. For that, and that alone, this movie is worth watching.

yeah, 46 is better but I really like 64.

Claudia, we need you to appear in LOST COMMAND. It's gonna revolutionize the war genre..
Groggy
Bounty Killer

« #5107 : January 10, 2009, 10:14:57 AM »

Strangers on a Train (1951) - 9.5/10
Definitely one of the best Hitchcock movies I've seen. O0

O0 O0 O0

noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

« #5108 : January 10, 2009, 10:36:16 AM »

Before the Devil Knows You Are Dead    8/10

Wow, that makes me fill guilty to have missed all the recent movie of Syndey Lumet... Magnificent acting, good script, and great modern-but-no-videoclip-camerawork... I was expecting a 6 out of ten, i was obviously wrong. The only flaw is that even if you feel compassion for the characters (all of them), you never actually get moved. It's a little "cold". Strange thing to notice: the french title has absolutly nothing to do with the original title ("7h58 ce samedi là", which means "7h58 that saterday").

New music video: ZOMBIE APOCALYPSE https://youtu.be/p968oyMo5B0
www.ThibautOskian.com
PowerRR
Bounty Killer

« #5109 : January 10, 2009, 12:38:09 PM »

Mystic River - 9/10
As a director, Eastwood's closest film to a masterpiece. Nice Wallach cameo, too.

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

« #5110 : January 10, 2009, 03:39:16 PM »

Gran Torino (2008) - 5/10. Clint Eastwood's final (?) bid for an Oscar-winning performance. Unhappily, the film has little else to offer: no great plot, no interesting supporting characters. Sure to please Eastwood's legion of fans, though. Missable.

Ya measly skunk! A-campin’ on my trail and lettin’ me do the work an’ then shootin’ me in the back. IN THE BACK!
Groggy
Bounty Killer

« #5111 : January 10, 2009, 07:54:03 PM »

Frost/Nixon - 8/10 - Early on, I was disappointed. The movie seemed to be going for a tacky "docu-drama" angle (complete with handheld camera work and "interviews" with the characters), which I generally find annoying as all get out, and most of the build-up was rather dry. But the movie really came to life when the actual interviews got under way; from the half-way point on it's endlessly gripping, enough to ignore the early flaws and Howard's workmanlike direction. As in Doubt, the movie largely succeeds on its performances. Sheen is good if not horribly impressive (his character seemed to be aping Tom Hanks in Charlie Wilson's War for much of the film), but Frank Langella is absolutely astonishing: his drunken phone call to Frost, and especially Nixon's final speech where he's cornered into admitting wrong-doing are some of the most brilliant pieces of acting I've ever seen. Seriously. Very good supporting cast too, particularly Sam Rockwell and Kevin Bacon. Not so amazing that you absolutely need to go see it, but a very entertaining use of 122 minutes. #4 of the year behind Valkyrie, and just ahead of Changeling. Full-length review to come.

« : January 10, 2009, 07:58:25 PM Groggy »

Atlas2112
Bounty Killer

formerly Gay Patrick Stewart

« #5112 : January 11, 2009, 01:04:39 PM »

Gran Torino (2008)- 7/10
review in appropiate thread

Slumdog Millionare (2008)- 8/10

The Curious Case of Benjamin Button (2008)- 6/10

next weekend i plan on hitting up Valkyrie, the reader, doubt, and possibly Milk

Groggy
Bounty Killer

« #5113 : January 11, 2009, 01:10:53 PM »

Doubt and Valkyrie are both excellent, I hope you'll enjoy them. O0

moviesceleton
Bounty Killer

« #5114 : January 12, 2009, 08:21:13 AM »

Last Tango in Paris (1972) - 6.5/10
A kind of a disappointment.

Walk the Line (2005) - 8/10
A kind of a pleasant surprise.