Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 24, 2017, 01:29:26 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Other/Miscellaneous
| |-+  Off-Topic Discussion (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Rate The Last Movie You Saw
Pages: 1 ... 530 531 [532] 533 534 ... 1166 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Rate The Last Movie You Saw  (Read 1807245 times)
moviesceleton
Bounty Killer

The glance that makes holes in the silver screen

View Profile
« Reply #7965 on: May 15, 2010, 11:04:08 AM »

I've come to see that I'm not a real Coens fan, meaning that most of the movies I've seen from them are 5-7.5/10. That includes Raising Arizona, Miller's Crossing, Fargo, O Brother Where Art Thou?, The Man Who Wasn't There, Intolerable Cruelty and The Ladykillers. Only The Big Lebowski, No Country for Old Men and Burn After Reading I can rate higher.

Actually, I think Burn After Reading is their funniest movie. But that's only after one viewing; I'm not sure how a re-watch would serve it. The case with The Big Lebowski and Burn After Reading is similar to the case of Holy Grail and Life of Brian: BAR and LoB have more and better jokes than TBL and HG, but TBL and HG have some mysterious ingredient that makes them something special, something more than just another comedy. They are true cult classics and not without reason, but that "cult" word implies that they are certainly not for everybody.

Certainly not for Groggy. Evil   

BTW, do we have a pure Coen Bros. thread somewhere?

Meet John Doe (1941) - 4/10
How many times can a director film the same story over again? Well, I guess there's no limit to it, granted every movie justifies itself. This doesn't. I enjoyed both Mr. Deeds and Mr. Smith: They have Jean Arthur and they make some good points. This movie has a bland romantic subplot with Barbara Stanwyck and is just  plain populist all the way through. Plus, for a comedy this has awfully few jokes, and even fewer good ones. But when they brought up the Jesus Christ card, I bursted out laughing. 

"Once Upon a Time in America gets ten-minute ovation at Cannes"
moviesceleton
Bounty Killer

The glance that makes holes in the silver screen

View Profile
« Reply #7966 on: May 15, 2010, 01:50:46 PM »

Benny's Video (1992) - 10/10
Fuck La pianiste, see this.

"Once Upon a Time in America gets ten-minute ovation at Cannes"
Groggy
Bounty Killer

This post gets Agnew's stamp of approval!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7967 on: May 15, 2010, 09:14:32 PM »

Iron Man 2 - 8/10 - My immediate gut reaction: the best superhero movie ever. I wasn't a big fan of the original, which was a Robert Downey Jr. away from being a bland and dull action flick. But the sequel definitely delivered, topping the original in plot, characters, and action. There wasn't a moment that I felt was unnecessary or boring, which is what I primarily require from a popcorn flick. And it's nice to see that a) most of the creative energy went into plot and characters, not shoving hamfisted messages down the audience's throat, b) the movie was a lean 125 minutes including credits, not overstaying its welcome for a minute. Downey was excellent, having a lot more to work with than in the original; Scarlet Johansson was hot as hell; Mickey Rourke and Sam Rockwell made great villains. All in all, it was about as good as this sort of film can get, and you really can't ask for more than that. Good call Jinkies.

« Last Edit: May 15, 2010, 10:05:30 PM by Groggy » Logged

Saturday nights with Groggy
titoli
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #7968 on: May 16, 2010, 10:47:19 AM »

Cose da pazzi (1954) Left me speechless. This is the kind of pseudo-intellectual stuff which might have found some kind of production  and some goodwilling underpaid politicized actor in the '60's and '70's. But to see downtoearth comedians like Fabrizi (and Viarisio)  degrade themselves with lame jokes and lame lines in an amateurish plot made up by neverheardof firsttimers it is astounding. Add to that the Pabst signature and you have really soemthing to inspire you to make up your own movie: you can't do worse. Really crazy stuff , like the title says. ( I give it 1\10 because Carla Del Poggio is very pretty here.

« Last Edit: May 17, 2010, 04:07:16 AM by titoli » Logged

Groggy
Bounty Killer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7969 on: May 16, 2010, 02:10:04 PM »

Mackenna's Gold - 5/10 - What the hell is this? One of the weirdest, most disjointed and disorienting Westerns I've ever seen. Aside from that Omar Sharif wants some Indian gold, nothing that happens makes a lick of sense or follows any comprehensible pattern, except for the constant theme of Gregory Peck slugging people. It has its moments but it never amounts to anything coherent. Lots of pointless cameos, all of whom turn up just long enough to get whacked (and mostly at once, at that). Peck is Peck, Sharif is unconvincing as either a Mexican or a bad guy (can't wait to see his take on Che Guevara), Julie Newmar is really something. Gorgeous cinematography, occasionally ruined by over-the-top editing. Decent score ruined by a cornball song about vultures. Annoying narration. The earthquake at the end was cool I guess.

Dust Devil
Bounty Killer

Smoke Tuco, so you can't bullshit!

View Profile
« Reply #7970 on: May 16, 2010, 04:05:23 PM »

Affliction (1998) - 8/10

It's a pity only James Coburn won an Oscar for this, Nick Nolte sure did deserve one also, as well as Paul Schrader, but it was Benigni's year. The characters are heavy, though they speak in a way everybody can understand.

« Last Edit: May 16, 2010, 04:06:38 PM by Dust Devil » Logged

No matter how cleverly you sneak up on a mirror, the reflection always looks you straight in the eye.
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

View Profile
« Reply #7971 on: May 16, 2010, 04:31:59 PM »

Iron Man 2 - 8/10 - My immediate gut reaction: the best superhero movie ever.
There's hope for you yet . . .

That's what you get, Drink, for being such an annoying Melville fanboy.
Groggy
Bounty Killer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7972 on: May 16, 2010, 05:10:21 PM »

Always good to have your approval Jinkies.

Groggy
Bounty Killer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7973 on: May 16, 2010, 10:38:25 PM »

Wyatt Earp - 7-8/10 - see the pertinent thread.

titoli
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #7974 on: May 17, 2010, 04:51:36 PM »

The Mummy (1999) - Extremely entertaining, with that touch of humor which makes it all the more valuable. Kids stuff, but worth watching. 8\10

titoli
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #7975 on: May 17, 2010, 04:54:25 PM »

The Mummy Returns (2001)  Not as good as the first one, though it has and exciting first 30 minutes, before the action leaves England. It adds little to the first one except for the boy. 7\10

Groggy
Bounty Killer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7976 on: May 17, 2010, 07:27:53 PM »

The first Mummy is goofy fun, but the sequels are pretty dire.

Dust Devil
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #7977 on: May 18, 2010, 01:48:24 AM »

Dog Day Afternoon (1975) - 7 to 7.5/10

From what I understand the director and the screenwriter took some liberties with the characters, making them appear more sympathetic and benevolent than they were in reality. Thus while watching it I had the feeling this was much more tragicomic and much less tense than it should have been. I have no complains about the actors, they did a good job.

No matter how cleverly you sneak up on a mirror, the reflection always looks you straight in the eye.
titoli
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #7978 on: May 18, 2010, 12:05:16 PM »

Tony Rome (1967)  Good plot (though some characters - the lezzies and the pusher - are beyond their clichè), good dialogues and one-liners. Sinatra has a wonderful delivery but he doesn't fit the character: too small and old, a pity. 7\10

Dust Devil
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #7979 on: May 18, 2010, 01:11:48 PM »

Any Given Sunday (1999) - 6/10

I may have said it already: this looks like made for MTV, that's the best and at the same time the worst thing about it. Entertaining crap just don't go into it too serious. Oliver Stone goes American football-MTV Cribs-human drama-big decisions-whatever. Big cars, 1000 $ hoes, huge houses, etc., etc., etc. Every excess money can buy. And then there's James Woods, huge as always.

Pages: 1 ... 530 531 [532] 533 534 ... 1166 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM