Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 22, 2017, 04:17:20 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Other/Miscellaneous
| |-+  Off-Topic Discussion (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Rate The Last Movie You Saw
Pages: 1 ... 608 609 [610] 611 612 ... 1166 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Rate The Last Movie You Saw  (Read 1803863 times)
titoli
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #9135 on: May 11, 2011, 01:40:36 PM »

Maybe if you change the title to Rate the Last Movie You Saw That Doesn't Have a Thread Devoted to It.

I can't, it's not my thread. But I wonder how you still need to be explained that.  Roll Eyes

Groggy
Bounty Killer

This post gets Agnew's stamp of approval!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9136 on: May 11, 2011, 02:50:08 PM »

It's not an issue of needing it "explained." This thread serves a specific purpose, no specific requirements necessary. Plus there's the fact that, for four years, I used it to keep track of what movies I'd seen, until someone started cut-'n'-pasting my posts into other threads. I'd rather contribute a post I put a scintilla of thought into a movie thread then something I burped out with half a brain cell.

Saturday nights with Groggy
drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

trust a man who wears both a belt and suspenders?

View Profile
« Reply #9137 on: May 11, 2011, 03:11:05 PM »

In my brief (yet very, very informative and enjoyable  Afro)  time here, one thing I've learned is that Groggy takes this whole thing twice as seriously as all the other BK's combined  Wink But considering that he travels with his own crew, can hit the rowels off a spur with the same ease as shooting down a telegraph wire, is always the quickest to dig his filthy hands into the loot, knows when the time's been wasted, and and is the only person to ever give the Man With No Name trouble with his adding, I think he deserves some serious respect. (Even if he will not show the same respect to a man who's been caught)   Afro Afro Afro

and then, in a different incarnation, he goes off to become a priest cuz he is too much of a coward to do what I do.

"Please forgive me, brother..."

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

trust a man who wears both a belt and suspenders?

View Profile
« Reply #9138 on: May 11, 2011, 03:15:33 PM »

... hey, we better watch out; if this discussion about "how long discussions can go on at the RTLMYS thread  before a mod will create  new thread for it" goes on for too long, it'll soon be moved to its own thread  Wink

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
titoli
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #9139 on: May 11, 2011, 04:32:26 PM »

It's not an issue of needing it "explained." This thread serves a specific purpose, no specific requirements necessary. Plus there's the fact that, for four years, I used it to keep track of what movies I'd seen, until someone started cut-'n'-pasting my posts into other threads. I'd rather contribute a post I put a scintilla of thought into a movie thread then something I burped out with half a brain cell.

So this is the "half a brain cell" thread? MMM.  Cool
Do as you please, but I think that, as you contributed to single movie threads, to reflect how your attitude towards them changes is important, especially towards western movies. I can understand that this thread may function as a notebook, but I think that the other function is more important, especially for those who  contribute more to the board. Anyway, you still didn't rate The Gunfighter. Angry

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

View Profile
« Reply #9140 on: May 12, 2011, 05:52:16 AM »

America America (1963) - 7/10. Elia Kazan's account of how his uncle, as a young man of Greek extraction from Anatolia, inexorably made his way to a better life in America. This film has much that I can recommend: interesting casting, Haskell Wexler's b&w widescreen photography, insipired editing, arresting locations (in Greece and Turkey), a great Greek folk music score, even an unconventional credit sequence at the end. The story is also interesting, but much of what happens is of little surprise, and there are a number of plot points that Kazan just lingers over interminably. The result is a 173 minute movie that is 50 minutes too long. Nonetheless, it is a film worth seeing, perhaps more than once.

That's what you get, Drink, for being such an annoying Melville fanboy.
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #9141 on: May 12, 2011, 08:26:44 AM »

America America (1963) - 7/10. Elia Kazan's account of how his uncle, as a young man of Greek extraction from Anatolia, inexorably made his way to a better life in America. This film has much that I can recommend: interesting casting, Haskell Wexler's b&w widescreen photography, insipired editing, arresting locations (in Greece and Turkey), a great Greek folk music score, even an unconventional credit sequence at the end. The story is also interesting, but much of what happens is of little surprise, and there are a number of plot points that Kazan just lingers over interminably. The result is a 173 minute movie that is 50 minutes too long. Nonetheless, it is a film worth seeing, perhaps more than once.

I liked it also. DJ, you forgot to mention that it also has Frank Wolff.

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #9142 on: May 12, 2011, 08:49:12 AM »

Cry Danger (1951) so far my favorite Dick Powell noir, 10/10

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #9143 on: May 12, 2011, 11:20:08 AM »

I liked it also. DJ, you forgot to mention that it also has Frank Wolff.
Very brief part at the beginning (he plays an Armenian on the cusp of the genocide).

Groggy
Bounty Killer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9144 on: May 12, 2011, 12:12:20 PM »

Dr. Strangelove - 9/10 - 5th viewing. Definitely a film that gets better each time you watch it. Having a greater familiarity with the time period in question than my previous viewings helps too.

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #9145 on: May 12, 2011, 01:52:20 PM »

Dr. Strangelove - 9/10 - 5th viewing. Definitely a film that gets better each time you watch it.
Exactly right. You may now graduate to the next level. Wink

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #9146 on: May 13, 2011, 06:29:04 AM »

Not as a Stranger (1955) - 9/10. Mitchum is an ambitious med student who can't cover his tuition, so he marries a nurse he doesn't love (Olivia de Havilland, with a peroxide 'do and a pretty convincing Swedish accent) in order to get his hands on her savings. Bob means no ill will to Olivia, he's just obsessed with his career and has a heart of flint. Melting that heart is the trajectory the film takes. This is the woman's film par excellence, with lots of great bits about the medical profession circa 1955, and a wife who stands by, and finally gets, her man. The supporting cast is fantastic: You Will Believe that Broderick Crawford Can Teach Medicine, also, that Whit Bissel could be a venal surgeon, and that Charles Bickford could be a country doctor with a bad ticker. Gloria Grahame shows up briefly as a very fetching brunette, Lee Marvin has a speaking cameo, and Frank Sinatra plays the loyal friend with a conscience who also provides occasional comedy relief. Hey, this is a Stanley Kramer film I actually like--a near cinematic miracle!

Groggy
Bounty Killer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9147 on: May 13, 2011, 12:21:37 PM »

Mildred Pierce - 9/10 - 2nd viewing.

Groggy
Bounty Killer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9148 on: May 13, 2011, 05:35:06 PM »

Ulzana's Raid - 9/10 - Initial thoughts: the best Indian-centric Western I've seen, or at least on a short list with Devil's Doorway and Broken Arrow. Review to come.

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #9149 on: May 14, 2011, 10:37:26 AM »

Il gattopardo (1963) - 11/10. Second theatrical viewing of the restored version. I will never get tired of watching this film.

« Last Edit: May 14, 2011, 10:40:50 AM by dave jenkins » Logged

Pages: 1 ... 608 609 [610] 611 612 ... 1166 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM