Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 11, 2017, 08:10:39 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Other/Miscellaneous
| |-+  Off-Topic Discussion (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Rate The Last Movie You Saw
Pages: 1 ... 183 184 [185] 186 187 ... 1169 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Rate The Last Movie You Saw  (Read 1831215 times)
Whalestoe
« Reply #2760 on: February 17, 2008, 11:12:47 AM »

What? What's Jumper? I've never heard of such a movie.
[/quote

Huh? Me either.

PowerRR
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #2761 on: February 17, 2008, 12:26:32 PM »

Punch Drunk Love - 8/10

Good shit. Can't wait to watch Boogie Nights and Hard Eight.

moviesceleton
Bounty Killer

The glance that makes holes in the silver screen

View Profile
« Reply #2762 on: February 17, 2008, 01:36:13 PM »

Match Point (2005) - 7.5/10
I really liked it but not as much as I think I should have Huh

Prime (2005) - 6/10

Tali-Ihantala 1944 (2007) - 4/10
As a movie it's a pile of crap and I've been on several more interesting history lessons. But there's not actually anything I'd hate about (I just don't like anything about it either) so I can't give it lower rating than that.

"Once Upon a Time in America gets ten-minute ovation at Cannes"
moviesceleton
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #2763 on: February 17, 2008, 02:14:35 PM »

Jäniksen vuosi / The Year of the Hare (1977) - 5/5

Finally!
Just one question, moviesceleton (though actually somebody else should answer...): did people in the 70's really dress so terribly as the ladies in the woods, or is it just the director's way how to show us how absolutely out of place they are? Well, it is, anyway, but I wonder - how much is it far stretched?
I think it's possible that it was the director's decision, but it's also a universally known fact that the 70's fashion was out of this world Grin

Groggy
Bounty Killer

This post gets Agnew's stamp of approval!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2764 on: February 17, 2008, 04:21:01 PM »

Stand By Me - 7/10 - Meh, was pretty good I guess. I'm sure Tucumcari will give it a 10 though.

Saturday nights with Groggy
Tucumcari Bound
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #2765 on: February 17, 2008, 05:14:03 PM »

Stand By Me - 7/10 - Meh, was pretty good I guess. I'm sure Tucumcari will give it a 10 though.

Wow. lol. What does that mean. Stand By Me defined a generation. That's a perfect little movie. I love you Groggy, but you're a bit of a nitpicker like a lot of people on this Forum.

"This train'll stop at Tucumbari."
Groggy
Bounty Killer

This post gets Agnew's stamp of approval!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2766 on: February 17, 2008, 05:16:27 PM »

I'm hardly a nitpicker just because I dare to find flaws in films. Cheesy

Saturday nights with Groggy
Tucumcari Bound
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #2767 on: February 17, 2008, 05:26:45 PM »

I'm hardly a nitpicker just because I dare to find flaws in films. Cheesy

hahaha. It's no problem.

"This train'll stop at Tucumbari."
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

View Profile
« Reply #2768 on: February 17, 2008, 06:47:12 PM »

Gail Russell double feature!

Moonrise (1948) - 3/10. By his own admission (I was there, in the audience, a few hours ago when he admitted it), this is one of Eddie Muller's favorite films. Sorry, Eddie, can't go with you on this one. Yeah, visually, there are things to like here (kind of reminds me of Night of the Hunter in places), but the story is rather slight and the central character is annoying as hell. Dane Clark plays a guy who was persecuted growing up because his father was hung for murder, and that leads him to commit a crime of his own. Tragedy ensues . . . except it doesn't, because of Gail Russell's preternatural eyes (or something). Why she would ever be attracted to Clark's character is never explained--he's such a jerk. I don't think the fault is necessarily with Clark's performance, I just think the part was badly written. (The whole film is badly written, with a plot thread about an incriminating pocket knife that doesn't incriminate! Maddening.) Muller explained that Borzage was a very successful director of silents whose style didn't really translate all that well to talkies, and that Moonrise might have actually benefited from intertitles. It certainly needed something.

Night Has a Thousand Eyes
(1948) - 9/10. This is more like it, an adaptation of a Cornell Woolrich thriller starring Edward G. Robinson. Robinson plays a guy with a fortune-telling act who suddenly finds he really can foresee the future. Problem is, he keeps seeing awful things happening to people, but is unable to do anything about it. When those he loves most (including Gail Russell) seem marked for death, will he be able to convince others of the truth before it's too late? This would make a great triple-bill with Nightmare Alley and The Amazing Mr. X (aka The Spiritualist), and, along with Illegal, Woman in the Window, and Scarlett Street, represents another triumph for Robinson. Man, that guy was good.

That's what you get, Drink, for being such an annoying Melville fanboy.
PowerRR
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #2769 on: February 17, 2008, 07:28:46 PM »

Gone Baby Gone - 9/10

One of the best of the year and the decade. My second time seeing it and it's just as good.

Noodles_SlowStir
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #2770 on: February 17, 2008, 07:58:47 PM »

Grand Illusion - 7/10 - I really, really liked this film up until Captain Boeldieu was killed. The last fifteen-twenty minutes focusing on Marechal and Rosenthal are ridiculous overlong and overwrought. The relationship between Pierre Fresnay and Erich von Stroheim was very well-done, the script had lots of quotable lines, the themes of class and the brutality of warfare were intriguing and its clear that pretty much every POW film from Stalag 17 to Hogan's Heroes had its origins in this film. But really... the ending just lost me.

It's been more than a few years since I've seen Grand Illusion.  I've seen it a few times.  I like the ending image of Marechal and Rosenthal almost dissolving in the snow after they cross the border.  I think you're right that class was an important theme in the film.  I think Renoir was talking about quite a few boundaries....class, nationality, ethnicity.  Although the scenes with Marechal, Rosenthal and the German woman and daughter provide melodrama, I think they serve purpose in the narrative.  Then to have the two characters absorbed and almost dissolve into the snowy backdrop......borders almost become undefined....it's quite a poetic image.

I recently watched Truffaut's Mississippi Mermaid.  I like Truffaut.  This is not one of his better films.  I guess they categorize it as one of his Hitchcockian films.  Yet there's allusions to Renoir.  There's a scene with Belmondo and Deneuve walking away together in the snow.  A reference to Grand Illusion.

« Last Edit: February 18, 2008, 12:52:51 PM by Noodles_SlowStir » Logged

Noodles_SlowStir
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #2771 on: February 17, 2008, 08:12:53 PM »

Match Point (2005) - 7.5/10
I really liked it but not as much as I think I should have Huh

Yeah. I had mixed feelings too.  In the end after thinking about it, decided I was disappointed with the film and thought it was overrated.  It starts out well and it was interesting to see a film by Allen that's set in a different location.  I thought that it kind of revisits a lot of the territory already covered in Crimes And Misdemeanors with the murder plot and the aftermath.  There were some things in Crimes And Misdemeanors that were overdone, but I think it's the better film.  I did like the whole "luck" premise of the Match Point plot, but it doesn't save the film for me.  I didn't think Scarlett Johansson was particularly good in the film.  I liked her in Lost In Translation.  I think her part in this film, like Anjelica Huston in Crimes And Misdemeanors, is just not a very good role to begin with.

I guess the film he's working on now is set in Barcelona and may also involve a murder in the plot.  It has a good cast.  Will it be another derivative story......

marmota-b
Bounty Killer

It's perfect timing, large one...

View Profile
« Reply #2772 on: February 18, 2008, 01:48:28 AM »

I think it's possible that it was the director's decision, but it's also a universally known fact that the 70's fashion was out of this world Grin

I think those were the worst 70's fashions I've ever seen. Look, the whole thing is from 70's and the other people are dressed quite all right, aren't they? While the pink and golden ladies could serve as fashion scarecrows. Grin I guess that's exactly the role they play in the film...
Sorry for my girly point of view. It really struck me.

There are two kinds of films in this world:those which stay,even when their genre is forgotten,and those which don't.
moviesceleton
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #2773 on: February 18, 2008, 02:08:07 AM »

I think those were the worst 70's fashions I've ever seen. Look, the whole thing is from 70's and the other people are dressed quite all right, aren't they? While the pink and golden ladies could serve as fashion scarecrows. Grin I guess that's exactly the role they play in the film...
Sorry for my girly point of view. It really struck me.
Frankly, it's been a few years since I last saw the movie so I don't have that clear recollection of the outfits Cheesy

marmota-b
Bounty Killer

It's perfect timing, large one...

View Profile
« Reply #2774 on: February 18, 2008, 05:11:30 AM »

Frankly, it's been a few years since I last saw the movie so I don't have that clear recollection of the outfits Cheesy

Sure. I saw it last week. That's quite a difference.

There are two kinds of films in this world:those which stay,even when their genre is forgotten,and those which don't.
Pages: 1 ... 183 184 [185] 186 187 ... 1169 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM