Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 19, 2017, 12:31:17 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Other/Miscellaneous
| |-+  Off-Topic Discussion (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Rate The Last Movie You Saw
Pages: 1 ... 189 190 [191] 192 193 ... 1162 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Rate The Last Movie You Saw  (Read 1762997 times)
Atlas2112
Bounty Killer

formerly Gay Patrick Stewart

View Profile
« Reply #2850 on: February 27, 2008, 11:38:00 PM »

Enter the Dragon (TV Brodcast): 6/10
happened to catch this on AMC. talk about a movie ruined by pan and scan, it looks like bruce is fighting an army of disembodied limbs. I should have just stop and put in my dvd of this instead of wasting my time with crap quality & censureship

Whalestoe
« Reply #2851 on: February 28, 2008, 07:10:27 AM »

I feel Brad Pitt is a great actor, with his ability over shadowed due to him becoming a modern sex symbol.

His performance in The Assassination of Jesse James was near brilliant.

I agree, RR. I'm very excited to see him in Tree of Life (crosses fingers)

marmota-b
Bounty Killer

It's perfect timing, large one...

View Profile
« Reply #2852 on: February 28, 2008, 07:19:38 AM »

The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford (2007) - 8.5/10
Haha, finally got to see it!

I should do something about that.
But considering I bought 8 1/2, Drunken Angel and Bad Sleep Well some time ago and haven't seen either of them yet, I guess that's more important to do something about. Tongue

There are two kinds of films in this world:those which stay,even when their genre is forgotten,and those which don't.
moviesceleton
Bounty Killer

The glance that makes holes in the silver screen

View Profile
« Reply #2853 on: February 28, 2008, 08:21:18 AM »

8.5?

Low score.
8.5 is not exactly low, you know. And flawless doesn't mean perfect.

Eastern Promises (2007) - 8/10

« Last Edit: February 28, 2008, 08:57:35 AM by moviesceleton » Logged

"Once Upon a Time in America gets ten-minute ovation at Cannes"
Groggy
Bounty Killer

This post gets Agnew's stamp of approval!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2854 on: February 28, 2008, 02:44:21 PM »

Children of Men - 8/10 - Don't feel like an in-depth review just now.

Saturday nights with Groggy
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

View Profile
« Reply #2855 on: February 28, 2008, 03:50:55 PM »

Children of Men - 8/10 - Don't feel like an in-depth review just now.
Then obviously the rating should go lower.

That's what you get, Drink, for getting out of bed this morning.
PowerRR
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #2856 on: February 28, 2008, 04:34:41 PM »

The Trial - 10/10
I'm cheating here, since it's just on TV ...and I'm just sort of watching it ...and it's only halfway through ...but this movie just gets better every time. Welles' best.

Groggy
Bounty Killer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2857 on: February 28, 2008, 08:21:28 PM »

I hit the motherload tonight! TCM is showing A Man for All Seasons AND Doctor Zhivago. I watched most of the former, might not watch all of the latter. And, I got my Robert Bolt book in the mail today. How appropriate. Afro

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #2858 on: February 28, 2008, 08:39:03 PM »

Tumbleweeds (1926) 3/5 William S. Hart, silent western about the Cherokee Strip Land Rush. Hart was sort of the John Wayne of the silents, not much difference between these films and the Republics, Hart even has the staple comic sidekick. Great set pieces of the land rush, a cast of thousands. Also Hart has a spoken introduction.

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
Noodles_SlowStir
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #2859 on: February 28, 2008, 10:27:41 PM »

The deleted and trimmed scenes are included together with interesting insights from all of the persons previously mentioned.  Not many films contain details of the witch hunt for communists in the Film Industry in the late 40's prior to McCarthy and Pollack admits that his treatment of this era was superficial.  Streisand says she was heartbroken when these scenes were deleted and she still feels that these set the movie apart from an ordinary love story and reveal the real reasons for the break up. She has a point.  Laurents comments that it was a seminal point in the country's history and there was tension and excitement at the time.

In another Redford tells her that Frankie McVeigh (James Woods) has informed on her and told the authorities that she was a former member of the communist party.  She is given a choice - either she can inform on other members of the communist party or Redford will be out of work.  She decides that she has another choice - she can divorce Redford, he will no longer have a subversive wife and he can keep on working.  She is at the time pregnant and asks him to stay with her until the baby is born.

A1, thanks.  I'd like to check out those interviews sometime.  My thoughts before I read your response were that I would of preferred to keep their break up vague in general terms as in the final cut.  Not attributed to one particular thing.  After reading your post, maybe Streisand has something there.  The film may of been better with those scenes.  I like the idea that she would finally give up....and she hated to give up... on her marriage for his sake.  The scene where she sees the other activist and feels she's changed would of been interesting too.  Can't imagine it would of added that much to the length of the film either.

moviesceleton
Bounty Killer

The glance that makes holes in the silver screen

View Profile
« Reply #2860 on: February 29, 2008, 07:08:23 AM »

No Country for Old Men (2007) - 8.5/10
I enjoyed it Afro

"Once Upon a Time in America gets ten-minute ovation at Cannes"
KevinJCBJK
« Reply #2861 on: February 29, 2008, 01:03:17 PM »

Michael Clayton-4/5. This was suprised me, I thought it was going to be another boring law film. Great peformances.

300-2/5, I am never watching this again. The 2 is for the Queen killing the asshole counsil member. It doesn't save the film for me.

Groggy
Bounty Killer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2862 on: February 29, 2008, 06:13:07 PM »

Tonight on TCM:

Day of the Jackal
Three Days of the Condor
Marathon Man

Will watch at least the first, if I watch the other two I'll post my comments.

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

View Profile
« Reply #2863 on: March 01, 2008, 09:32:25 AM »

Ukigumo/Floating Clouds (1955) - 10/10. Mikio Naruse's adaptation of Fumiko Hayashi's best-selling tear-jerker, about a woman who gives up everything to pursue a man unworthy of her devotion. The woman is played by Hideko Takamine (Japan's Elizabeth Taylor), the rotter by Masayuki Mori (you know, the husband guy from Rashomon). It's not dissimilar to Letter From an Unknown Woman, but, this being a Japanese film, with even greater pathos (or is it bathos?). I understand that at the end of the novel the man returns to his philandering, but the movie ends at an earlier moment of emotional intensity. I guess Naruse knew what his audience of housewives wanted to see.

That's what you get, Drink, for getting out of bed this morning.
Groggy
Bounty Killer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2864 on: March 01, 2008, 12:03:26 PM »

Three Days of the Condor - 7/10 - Pretty good thriller, with a somewhat confusing plot and a good amount of superfluous nonsense. Also, I felt Faye Dunaway's character seemed pointlessly tacked on to the story in order to create a love interest for Redford. Very entertaining on the whole, though.

Marathon Man - 8/10 - Excellent performances by Hoffman, Roy Scheider, and Laurence Olivier, with a really intense last half-hour. Best scene is when Olivier's character starts to be recognized by the various Jews in the East Side.

Pages: 1 ... 189 190 [191] 192 193 ... 1162 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM