Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 17, 2017, 12:14:27 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Other/Miscellaneous
| |-+  Off-Topic Discussion (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Rate The Last Movie You Saw
Pages: 1 ... 224 225 [226] 227 228 ... 1161 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Rate The Last Movie You Saw  (Read 1758872 times)
T.H.
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #3375 on: May 13, 2008, 08:55:51 PM »

Shakespeare, mostly. Then there are a host of British films of English plays: Brief Encounter, Blithe Spirit, Major Barbara, The Importance of Being Earnest. And of course there are Hitchcock's adaptations of English plays, principally Rope and Dial M. The one really great American adaptation of an American play is probably The Heiress, which Wyler adapted from Washington Square (which was a novel first, but also a play). And I'd be remiss if I didn't note that very great adaptation of that very weak drama called Everybody Comes to Rick's . . .

Getting back to The Apartment vs. Rear Window, here is the acid test: you could take Wilder's film as written and produce it for the stage (apparently, Wilder intended to do just that if he couldn't get financing for the movie); RW could not be so adapted without extensive rewriting, it's just too cinematic.

I agree, RW would make a rotten play unless it was dramatically rewritten, like you said. I'm not denying that The Apt. is not pure cinema, it's anything but: my point is that a movie should mostly be judged on its execution, instead of hypothetical changes. Then again, I would be a hypocrite if I said I didn't do the same. I just don't think the film is flawed enough to warrant sweeping changes, but opinions are opinions and you do make a solid case even if I don't agree.

What are your opinions on Wyler's Detective Story and Fred Coe's A Thousand Clowns? Probably my favorite stage adaptations.

I haven't seen The Heiress yet, I will try to watch that one ASAP.

Claudia, we need you to appear in LOST COMMAND. It's gonna revolutionize the war genre. What did you think of the script?
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

View Profile
« Reply #3376 on: May 13, 2008, 09:05:55 PM »

It's been so long since I've seen A Thousand Clowns that I can't really remember my impression. Unaccountably, I've never seen Detective Story.

That's what you get, Drink, for lying in the middle of the road.
tucumcari bound
Bounty Killer

Leone at work.

View Profile
« Reply #3377 on: May 13, 2008, 09:23:08 PM »

Stand by Me (1986) 9/10

Dr. Strangelove (1964) 10/10

"Everything revolved around her. The way Sergio looked at women - the way he looked at me..."
Kurug3n
Bounty Killer

Que pasa?

View Profile
« Reply #3378 on: May 13, 2008, 10:10:38 PM »

Sleepers- 10/10

tucumcari bound
Bounty Killer

Leone at work.

View Profile
« Reply #3379 on: May 14, 2008, 12:01:13 AM »

Assault on Precinct 13 (1976) 8/10

"Everything revolved around her. The way Sergio looked at women - the way he looked at me..."
Groggy
Bounty Killer

This post gets Agnew's stamp of approval!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3380 on: May 14, 2008, 06:06:16 AM »

The John Michael Hayes dialogue elevates the whole to above-standard Hitchcock ("Avez vou bourbon?"). Give it a "7", Grogs, and I'll let you go home early.

Well, it's close to a seven, but it didn't hold my interest quite enough for me to bump it up that high. Maybe a rewatch would raise the rating.

Saturday nights with Groggy
Groggy
Bounty Killer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3381 on: May 14, 2008, 12:43:01 PM »

Juno  - 6/10 - I finally saw the last of the Mediocre Best Picture Nominees! Roll Eyes I didn't actively dislike this movie, but I didn't laugh out loud once (a few smiles). And somebody smack Ellen Page, she's annoying as hell. It doesn't help that the dialogue is smart-ass rather than witty. I do know people like Juno in real life, but I don't really like them there either: self-absorbed, obnoxious and smug does not equal likeable. (And what kind of movie buff thinks Herschell Gordon Lewis is better than Dario Argento? The man made Monster A-Go-Go, for Christ's sake.) The adult cast members carry their sections of the film very well, particularly Jennifer Garner and my favorite Allison Janney. The last half hour was touching, it's too bad the rest of the movie didn't live up to that standard. It was alright, but it tried too hard to be significant, and even when it succeeds towards the end, the effort shows.

« Last Edit: May 14, 2008, 04:17:02 PM by Groggy » Logged

PowerRR
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #3382 on: May 14, 2008, 05:54:15 PM »

Julius Caesar - 8/10
The Brando one.

The Peacemaker
Bounty Killer

OH SH*T!

View Profile
« Reply #3383 on: May 14, 2008, 06:04:29 PM »

Irreversible - 5/5

Crazy film.

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #3384 on: May 14, 2008, 06:20:46 PM »

Juno  - 6/10 - I finally saw the last of the Mediocre Best Picture Nominees! Roll Eyes I didn't actively dislike this movie, but I didn't laugh out loud once (a few smiles). And somebody smack Ellen Page, she's annoying as hell. It doesn't help that the dialogue is smart-ass rather than witty. I do know people like Juno in real life, but I don't really like them there either: self-absorbed, obnoxious and smug does not equal likeable. (And what kind of movie buff thinks Herschell Gordon Lewis is better than Dario Argento? The man made Monster A-Go-Go, for Christ's sake.) The adult cast members carry their sections of the film very well, particularly Jennifer Garner and my favorite Allison Janney. The last half hour was touching, it's too bad the rest of the movie didn't live up to that standard. It was alright, but it tried too hard to be significant, and even when it succeeds towards the end, the effort shows.
I haven't seen this, but I'll rely on your review. You've confirmed all my suspicions, so I won't be going out of my way to catch it. It must be a function of growing older, but for some reason I no longer find smart-ass kids entertaining . . .

PowerRR
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #3385 on: May 14, 2008, 06:47:26 PM »

I haven't seen this, but I'll rely on your review. You've confirmed all my suspicions, so I won't be going out of my way to catch it. It must be a function of growing older, but for some reason I no longer find smart-ass kids entertaining . . .
I too fully endorse Groggy's review. Mine may even be a bit more negative.

Atlas2112
Bounty Killer

formerly Gay Patrick Stewart

View Profile
« Reply #3386 on: May 14, 2008, 09:37:36 PM »

Spider man 2 (2004):7.5/10
the first time ive watched it all the way through,though i have seen snippets on TV. Oddly enough, i watched it in my chemistry class (had a VERY educational day today  Tongue). A good improvement on the first, adding substantial character development (probably a first for comic book films) AND much better fight scenes (there werent much in the first). after watching it in it's entirerty i noticed something, this fim is OVERTLY homosexual. Flamingly gay! (in the literal sense). All the scenes between between peter and harry were like lover's quarells as well as peter hiding A DEEP DARK SECRET THAT PREVENTS HIM FROM HAVING RELATIONSHIPS WITH WOMEN. Even at the begining of the film there is a scene where peter goes ito a closet and struggles to COME OUT OF THE CLOSET. Normally id say im just reading too much into this and i normally try to twist any man to man relationship as a gay one (be they baseless or not), but this is just too obvious. I hope im not the only one who thinks this  Lips Sealed

Whalestoe
« Reply #3387 on: May 14, 2008, 10:37:44 PM »

Juno sucked and deserves a zero. I hate that movie with all the bane, vile, spit, hatred growth in my chest.

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #3388 on: May 14, 2008, 11:30:27 PM »

Spider man 2 (2004):7.5/10
the first time ive watched it all the way through,though i have seen snippets on TV. Oddly enough, i watched it in my chemistry class (had a VERY educational day today  Tongue). A good improvement on the first, adding substantial character development (probably a first for comic book films) AND much better fight scenes (there werent much in the first). after watching it in it's entirerty i noticed something, this fim is OVERTLY homosexual. Flamingly gay! (in the literal sense). All the scenes between between peter and harry were like lover's quarells as well as peter hiding A DEEP DARK SECRET THAT PREVENTS HIM FROM HAVING RELATIONSHIPS WITH WOMEN. Even at the begining of the film there is a scene where peter goes ito a closet and struggles to COME OUT OF THE CLOSET. Normally id say im just reading too much into this and i normally try to twist any man to man relationship as a gay one (be they baseless or not), but this is just too obvious. I hope im not the only one who thinks this  Lips Sealed
It's not you, it's Marvel, they've gone totally gay. Look what they did with X-Men, using "mutant" as code for homosexuality; Magneto comes up with a machine that doesn't just out other mutants, it actually turns straights into queers. This is an old gay fantasy: when the whole world is gay, there will be no one left to put queer culture down. And why do you think they're called X-men, anyway? The "x" designation indicating that there is some unnameable factor that's been added to their masculinity, at the same time that the sound "ex" suggest that something has been left behind. Notice how the theme of the film is understanding and tolerance, how the real villains are the humans who feel threatened by the mutants. Ian McKellen certainly knew what he was signing on for when he agreed to be cast as Magneto: one of the most visible gay-rights proponents in the acting profession, he's been "out" since 1988.

Groggy
Bounty Killer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3389 on: May 15, 2008, 06:23:00 AM »

I'm still absolutely baffled as to how it got a Best Picture nomination. It's like The Breakfast Club or Clueless or 10 Things I Hate About You getting Oscar nominations. Except those are all better movies.

Pages: 1 ... 224 225 [226] 227 228 ... 1161 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM