Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 17, 2017, 02:10:50 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Other/Miscellaneous
| |-+  Off-Topic Discussion (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Rate The Last Movie You Saw
Pages: 1 ... 227 228 [229] 230 231 ... 1161 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Rate The Last Movie You Saw  (Read 1759004 times)
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

View Profile
« Reply #3420 on: May 20, 2008, 09:09:12 PM »

I did. MNIN is probably my favorite non-Leone SW.
Tied with Death Rides a Horse, IMHO. Interestingly, both draw heavily on SL's aesthetics.

That's what you get, Drink, for lying in the middle of the road.
tucumcari bound
Bounty Killer

Leone at work.

View Profile
« Reply #3421 on: May 20, 2008, 09:28:19 PM »

Night Shift (1982)

"Everything revolved around her. The way Sergio looked at women - the way he looked at me..."
Whalestoe
« Reply #3422 on: May 20, 2008, 09:29:12 PM »

Night Shift (1982)

You forgot your rating!

tucumcari bound
Bounty Killer

Leone at work.

View Profile
« Reply #3423 on: May 20, 2008, 11:52:11 PM »

You forgot your rating!

haha. I knew that was coming.

I give Night Shift a solid 7/10. It's one of the best comedies to come out of the 1980's. Henry Winkler and Michael Keaton were absolutely hilarious here. It's one of director Ron Howard's best, in my opinion. Alot of classic one-liners here.

"Everything revolved around her. The way Sergio looked at women - the way he looked at me..."
noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3424 on: May 21, 2008, 02:01:43 AM »

Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull (2008)          5/10

I'll give details on the topic of the movie soon...

New music video: ZOMBIE APOCALYPSE https://youtu.be/p968oyMo5B0
www.ThibautOskian.com
moviesceleton
Bounty Killer

The glance that makes holes in the silver screen

View Profile
« Reply #3425 on: May 21, 2008, 02:31:27 AM »

haha. I knew that was coming.

I give Night Shift a solid 7/10. It's one of the best comedies to come out of the 1980's. Henry Winkler and Michael Keaton were absolutely hilarious here. It's one of director Ron Howard's best, in my opinion. Alot of classic one-liners here.
I remember it being pretty funny, not a masterpiece but reasonably entertaining. Yeah, 7/10 sound right to me Afro

"Once Upon a Time in America gets ten-minute ovation at Cannes"
Whalestoe
« Reply #3426 on: May 21, 2008, 02:36:30 AM »

Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull (2008)          5/10

I'll give details on the topic of the movie soon...

LIIIAAAAR!!!

I'm interested to hear your thoughts. Afro

moviesceleton
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #3427 on: May 21, 2008, 02:52:40 AM »

La Caja 507 (2002) - 7/10

marmota-b
Bounty Killer

It's perfect timing, large one...

View Profile
« Reply #3428 on: May 21, 2008, 08:05:21 AM »

I suppose I didn't expect it to be a comedy with badly done speeded up camera work.

I expected it to be a comedy and still I didn't like it much (the same goes for my sister, who watched it because it was a comedy). The barbershop scene in the begining was great, but the rest didn't stand up to the begining.

I guess the biggest problem is that it's not very balanced in its quality. And now by quality I don't mean only what you rate, but also - let's call it style. The begining is a classic Leone style, all the little details that gain importance by the camerawork; but most of the rest of it isn't like this at all.
And then the plot. Some moments in the plot are very weak. For example, what on earth is the Wild Bunch actually up to and what on earth is the dynamite for? Do they work for the villain, whatever is his name, or are they a seperate entity? It's not clear from the story.
And I don't mean I want it to be plainly stated, that's the last thing I want. If it were otherwise, I wouldn't be watching Leone and definitely wouldn't have enjoyed OUATIA as much as I did. But in MNIN even deducing it wasn't possible for me. Maybe I missed something, but usually when I miss something I realise it later on. I didn't with MNIN. The whole thing is confusing, in a very different way from OUATIA. I think the difference is, in OUATIA there was something to connect it, but here there was nothing, or nearly nothing.

Maybe I'm too harsh at it, but these are my feelings about it and I suppose this thread is the right place to express them.

There are two kinds of films in this world:those which stay,even when their genre is forgotten,and those which don't.
PowerRR
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #3429 on: May 21, 2008, 03:57:39 PM »

Elevator to the Gallows - 8/10

Ben Tyreen
Bounty Killer

Well, Major, I shall see you in Texas!

View Profile
« Reply #3430 on: May 22, 2008, 11:09:43 AM »

Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull  8/10

The People That Time Forgot 6/10  I liked the original and thought I'd check it out.  Pretty bad but funny in certain parts, unintentionally so I assume but I enjoyed it.  Worth checking out for Dana Gillespie's cavegirl Ajor, scantily clad and running through jungles, deserts and any other perilous situation that forces her to run. Afro

Nobody throws me my own guns and says run...nobody.
moviesceleton
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #3431 on: May 22, 2008, 03:35:22 PM »

Ordinary People (1980) - 8.5/10

The Peacemaker
Bounty Killer

OH SH*T!

View Profile
« Reply #3432 on: May 22, 2008, 03:51:11 PM »

The Boys from Brazil - 5/5

What a great movie. Includes one of the greatest villains in screen history ( Josef Mengele ) played brilliantly by Gregory Peck. And the scary part is, his character actually existed and did far greater atrocities than what was shown in the film.

Groggy
Bounty Killer

This post gets Agnew's stamp of approval!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3433 on: May 22, 2008, 04:01:42 PM »

Railback was the agent in In th line of Fire

Hmm... Somehow I don't remember him there? Undecided

Saturday nights with Groggy
Groggy
Bounty Killer

This post gets Agnew's stamp of approval!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3434 on: May 23, 2008, 04:20:17 PM »

God, I must be a complete and utter masochist, because today I sat through the Double Bill From Hell... Shocked

The Trial of Billy Jack - 0/10 - I've got a new candidate for the worst film ever made right here. At least the first Billy Jack was a reasonable length (about 2 hours) and had some unintentional humor. This movie on the other hand pushes the pretentious action political art indie film to horrendous proportions; do we really need a three-hour Billy Jack movie? There is a good amount of mostly unintentional humor, as in the original, but it's balanced out by the excrutiatingly heavy-handed political commentary (let's shoot the crippled kid! soldiers executing Vietnamese babies!), pointless and annoying digressive sequences of all stripes (including a 10 minute ski rescue, lots of marching and protesting, a seemingly endless parade of interminable music numbers, flashbacks to Vietnam, Billy Jack's hallucinatory spirtual journey, and ENDLESS helicopter shots of the Arizona desert), and above all the ridiculous length, which makes the movie play like an endless mobius strip. The first movie was tolerable and even enjoyable in a campy way; this movie reaches a point where it becomes painful and suicide-inducing.

Billy Jack Goes To Washington - 2/10 - A comparatively big-budgeted film featuring a few name actors (E.G. Marshall, Peter Donat, Pat O'Brien, and the irritating Lucie Arnez). An obvious take on Mr. Smith Goes To Washington (produced by Frank Capra Jr. and featuring a crooked Senator Payne), it is a ridiculously cheap and boring movie which lacks even the campiness of the previous two. There's only one action scene in the whole film; most of it is endless, nonstop plotting, scheming and speechifying; Tom Laughlin, being a horrendous actor, is laughably unconvincing as a politician, and the endless filibuster scenes are sleep-inducing. Just boring; the only redeeming value is the reprise of the kitsch classic "One Tin Soldier" over the end credits.

Overall, the Billy Jack movies more likely created more hatred of hippies and radical liberalism than they fostered support. It's heavy-handed cartoonish political stereotyping, crossed with narcissism (like this one hippie school in the middle of the desert is so powerful that thhe FBI, CIA, and President want to crush it!). After watching these three movies I want to start cracking hippie skulls alongside the police and National Guardsmen. To be fair, I might value these movies more if I dropped acid or lit up a joint before watching. Cheesy

Why the hell did I watch these? Your guess is as good as mine. Undecided

« Last Edit: May 23, 2008, 04:30:14 PM by Groggy » Logged

Saturday nights with Groggy
Pages: 1 ... 227 228 [229] 230 231 ... 1161 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM