Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 16, 2017, 11:15:44 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Other/Miscellaneous
| |-+  Off-Topic Discussion (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Rate The Last Movie You Saw
Pages: 1 ... 294 295 [296] 297 298 ... 1170 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Rate The Last Movie You Saw  (Read 1840981 times)
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

View Profile
« Reply #4425 on: September 26, 2008, 06:35:49 AM »

The Big Steal (1949) - 6/10
It's a very simple chase movie but I can't really find any major flaws in it except that it just isn't that great. There's some chemistry between Mitchum and Greer but it seems to go on and off. Fistfight scenes were impressive.
A dull film. A dull story, dull characters, dull cinematography: in a word . . .

That's what you get, Drink, for being such an annoying Melville fanboy.
Groggy
Bounty Killer

This post gets Agnew's stamp of approval!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4426 on: September 27, 2008, 06:52:12 PM »

The Paradine Case - 6/10 - Mediocre Hitchcock film is little more than a typical courtroom drama. The first half is pretty interesting but at about the halfway point, the story begins moving at a snail's pace and fails to pick up a lot of interest, the trial scenes stiff and un-dramatic. A great cast is largely misused. Gregory Peck seems miscast (he tries a feeble English accent at times but quickly loses it when he does), Ann Todd is wasted in a tertiary role, and only Alida Valli and Charles Laughton make any real impression. A few neat stylistic touches (particularly the deep focus tracking shot as Louis Jourdan enters the court room, circling around Valli) and some Hitchcock themes (Peck's obsession for Valli) but nothing to make it really stand out.

Saturday nights with Groggy
Kurug3n
Bounty Killer

Que pasa?

View Profile
« Reply #4427 on: September 27, 2008, 06:57:02 PM »

The Shawshank Redemption- 7/10

moviesceleton
Bounty Killer

The glance that makes holes in the silver screen

View Profile
« Reply #4428 on: September 28, 2008, 11:23:40 AM »

The Shawshank Redemption- 7/10
Speaking of which...

You'll Never Get Rich (1941) - 5/10
A poor script is a poor script, that's all I can say. Only two of the dancing scenes have something to do with the story and all of them are way too long. But Rita Hayworth is nice, so I can't give it lower rating than that.

Sex, Lies, and Videotape (1989) - 8/10

« Last Edit: September 28, 2008, 11:30:09 AM by moviesceleton » Logged

"Once Upon a Time in America gets ten-minute ovation at Cannes"
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #4429 on: September 28, 2008, 11:56:08 AM »

The Paradine Case - 6/10 - Mediocre Hitchcock film is little more than a typical courtroom drama. The first half is pretty interesting but at about the halfway point, the story begins moving at a snail's pace and fails to pick up a lot of interest, the trial scenes stiff and un-dramatic. A great cast is largely misused. Gregory Peck seems miscast (he tries a feeble English accent at times but quickly loses it when he does), Ann Todd is wasted in a tertiary role, and only Alida Valli and Charles Laughton make any real impression. A few neat stylistic touches (particularly the deep focus tracking shot as Louis Jourdan enters the court room, circling around Valli) and some Hitchcock themes (Peck's obsession for Valli) but nothing to make it really stand out.
This is an eminently fair assessment (although the "6" seems a little high). I can't imagine what AH was thinking when he made this, the least exciting picture that bears his name. Why the English setting? Why all that time in the courtroom? Why cast Ann Todd and then not make use of her? A project poorly conceived and executed.

If you want to see a successful presentation of similar material, check out "The File on Thelma Jordon."

titoli
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #4430 on: September 28, 2008, 03:04:48 PM »

The Belly of the Beast 7\10

Not a bad entry in the Steven Seagal canon. Better than some of his later american  (this is chinese)efforts. I didn't expect it to be any good, expecially after having seen the first scene, where Seagal clearly shows he's on the same route old Bud Spencer took toward resembling a walking (just walking) whale. Instead some of the fight scenes are well orchestrated and the narrative rhythm fast enough.

PowerRR
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #4431 on: September 28, 2008, 05:56:40 PM »

Harper - 7/10

Groggy
Bounty Killer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4432 on: September 29, 2008, 12:53:17 AM »

This is an eminently fair assessment (although the "6" seems a little high). I can't imagine what AH was thinking when he made this, the least exciting picture that bears his name. Why the English setting? Why all that time in the courtroom? Why cast Ann Todd and then not make use of her? A project poorly conceived and executed.

If you want to see a successful presentation of similar material, check out "The File on Thelma Jordon."

I don't think the movie was inherently bad, but there are so many things in it which could have been done better. The movie just dies when they get to trial. I had a similar reaction to Madeleine, which I watched earlier this week. Were trial scenes from this era inherently boring? As mentioned, Peck is badly cast (Olivier was Hitch's first choice, Joseph Cotten and James Mason were also considered - at least the two Brits would have been a much better choice given the setting), and I didn't mention Louis Jourdan, whom I've seen in several films now and who always comes across as stiff and wooden - no wonder he never became a star.

« Last Edit: September 29, 2008, 01:05:00 AM by Groggy » Logged

Groggy
Bounty Killer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4433 on: September 29, 2008, 01:02:30 AM »

Silent Night, Deadly Night 2 - 100/10 - Perhaps the greatest comedy of all time. I laughed non-stop from beginning to end! Afro

Oh... it was a horror film?

Undecided

moviesceleton
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #4434 on: September 29, 2008, 03:34:39 AM »

Mulholland Dr. (2001) - 9/10
Second viewing and I assure you it wasn't the last. I don't even understand what the f*** happens in it but is just great (I know it sound pretentious but it's true). But I'm sure the answer lies there somewhere...

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #4435 on: September 29, 2008, 05:00:49 AM »

BURN AFTER READING (2008) 8/10 a fun Cohen Bros., film.

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
moviesceleton
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #4436 on: September 29, 2008, 08:34:53 AM »

Gycklarnas afton (1953) ("Sawdust and Tinsel") - 6/10

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #4437 on: September 29, 2008, 10:10:31 AM »

I don't think the movie was inherently bad, but there are so many things in it which could have been done better. The movie just dies when they get to trial. I had a similar reaction to Madeleine, which I watched earlier this week. Were trial scenes from this era inherently boring?
Trial scenes are hard to bring off. The secret, for the most part, is to keep them short. Even Perry Mason only spends about one third of each episode in court. Putting aside such special cases as Anatomy of a Murder, the movies that work best with trial scenes are things like Angel Face, The Postman Always Rings Twice, etc., films with trial scenes so short you actually forget they're in there. Even a film like "Illegal" which is all about a lawyer gets Edward G. in and out of the courtroom as quickly as possible. In Dial M, Hitchcock even went so far as to have a trial scene without a courtroom, which sped things along beautifully. Maybe he learned after the interminable scenes in TPC . . .

Groggy
Bounty Killer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4438 on: September 29, 2008, 10:46:31 AM »

I enjoy trial scenes in some movies - The Caine Mutiny, A Man for All Seasons, Breaker Morant, A Passage to India, A Few Good Men, to name a few off-hand examples. Maybe it's down to the individual writer or director to make them interesting. Perhaps as a general rule using trial scenes is just introducing "stageiness" in a context where it's not wanted or needed. That irritates in me in many other instances, wouldn't surprise me if that were the case here.

« Last Edit: September 29, 2008, 11:25:33 AM by Groggy » Logged

marmota-b
Bounty Killer

It's perfect timing, large one...

View Profile
« Reply #4439 on: September 30, 2008, 02:14:58 AM »

Driving Miss Daisy - 10/10

A bit dated, I watched it last week, but I forgot to write about it... because there isn't much to write outside of "I loved every moment of it!"

There are two kinds of films in this world:those which stay,even when their genre is forgotten,and those which don't.
Pages: 1 ... 294 295 [296] 297 298 ... 1170 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM