Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 15, 2017, 08:43:06 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Other/Miscellaneous
| |-+  Off-Topic Discussion (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Rate The Last Movie You Saw
Pages: 1 ... 298 299 [300] 301 302 ... 1170 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Rate The Last Movie You Saw  (Read 1839167 times)
moviesceleton
Bounty Killer

The glance that makes holes in the silver screen

View Profile
« Reply #4485 on: October 10, 2008, 09:31:48 AM »

Meh, I thought it was excellent. It's probably one of the best films of its type, anyway.
Can you say if I'd appreciate it more if I saw it in the correct aspect ration?

"Once Upon a Time in America gets ten-minute ovation at Cannes"
Groggy
Bounty Killer

This post gets Agnew's stamp of approval!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4486 on: October 10, 2008, 09:35:32 AM »

You might give it an extra star based on your review. Some of the bigger battle scenes are really impressive, but I don't know if that would change your overall feeling.

Saturday nights with Groggy
moviesceleton
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #4487 on: October 10, 2008, 10:20:24 AM »

You might give it an extra star based on your review. Some of the bigger battle scenes are really impressive, but I don't know if that would change your overall feeling.
Yeah, that's the feeling I have too. It really looked like a made for TV movie because of the pan&scanning.

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

View Profile
« Reply #4488 on: October 10, 2008, 11:16:43 AM »

Can you say if I'd appreciate it more if I saw it in the correct aspect ratio?
I think you would. There's one scene in particular when all the paras are going out the doors and filling the skies that is beyond impressive. And this before CGI.

You raise a good point about the film, the fact that it focuses on an event rather than characters. That is a much more difficult way to tell a tale, but I'd say ABTF is nonetheless successful. I have to wonder if such an approach would work with a fiction film--here, our knowledge of WWII helps enormously to provide the context necessary for all that we see. That is, we can invest a lot of the action with extra significance, knowing how everything turns out in the end. A more accurate title--though not better for marketing purposes--might be Wrong Bridge, Wrong Time, since Operation Market Garden was a set-back rather than an outright failure (i.e. a tactical failure did not preclude ultimate strategic victory).

As I have said elsewhere, the film provides an excellent case study of how Clausewitzian frictions can undermine an operation. It is valuable for that alone. If I were teaching tactics at Carlisle Barracks, I would include a showing of ABTF in every course.

That's what you get, Drink, for being such an annoying Melville fanboy.
moviesceleton
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #4489 on: October 10, 2008, 02:25:52 PM »

I think you would. There's one scene in particular when all the paras are going out the doors and filling the skies that is beyond impressive. And this before CGI.
That was one of the few scenes that had real visual glory to them; I can believe it's even greater in widescreen. It reminded me of a similar scene in Band of Brothers. BoB might be overall better but if you compare just those scenes, ABTF wins with no doubt because you can see that that's for real whereas in BoB it was almost all CGI and bluescreen. They are an interesting couple to compare in other ways too because BoB tells the story the 101st Airborne Division which had a big role in Operation Market-Garden.

I meant to ask, how accurate is ABTF historically? I never really read up on the actual war actions.

Waking Life (2001)
Geez, I don't know what to make of this...

Groggy
Bounty Killer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4490 on: October 10, 2008, 02:49:49 PM »

It's based closely on Cornelius Ryan's book, so it's fairly accurate.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A_Bridge_Too_Far_(film)#Historical_accuracy

I agree with Jenkins: Besides the stars and the battle scenes, what makes the movie fascinating is just watching the whole lumbering beast come together. The failure is intricate, with many decisive points that could have resulted in either complete disaster or, alternately, Allied victory, and for me it's just fascinating to watch the failure slowly grow in magnitude after the early successes.

titoli
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #4491 on: October 10, 2008, 03:28:30 PM »

V for Vendetta - Good starting point could have been developed in a great story in the hands of a capable writer. Instead it wallows in quotations from other movies (Phantom of the Opera, 1984 and whatever dystopia you want) without being convincing: that government he fights against is so dissimilar from others? Why invent all that crap about experiments gone wrong. You just had to show our reality. But then you should have made a movie instead of an adaptation from a comic book.
Nathalie Portman is beautiful. So I give it 3: one for her, two for the Fawkes premise, 3 for the mask.

titoli
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #4492 on: October 10, 2008, 03:33:16 PM »

Van Helsing - Dracula meets Disney. Second half, if you make it, a little more tolerable than the first (I always wondered why people keep living in the vicinity of Dracula's castle). Good chase and ball sequences. Usual sparkle cascades, usual fight between two monsters, usual uninventive murky photography. Not a horror movie (which a Dracula, at least for me, is all it should ever be). 2\10.

Groggy
Bounty Killer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4493 on: October 10, 2008, 07:55:57 PM »

V for Vendetta - Good starting point could have been developed in a great story in the hands of a capable writer. Instead it wallows in quotations from other movies (Phantom of the Opera, 1984 and whatever dystopia you want) without being convincing: that government he fights against is so dissimilar from others? Why invent all that crap about experiments gone wrong. You just had to show our reality. But then you should have made a movie instead of an adaptation from a comic book.
Nathalie Portman is beautiful. So I give it 3: one for her, two for the Fawkes premise, 3 for the mask.

I agree with some of this. It had some good ideas and technically it was pretty well-made, but all too often it degenerated into cliche and hamfisted silliness. Didn't really care for Portman in this one, though.

Silenzio
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #4494 on: October 10, 2008, 10:19:44 PM »

Jacob's Ladder- 6/10.  Pretty cool visuals, but there's not a lot of substance.  The ending twist can be guessed within the first fourth of the film.  It feels like somebody trying to make something deep and challenging, but instead making something shallow and obvious.  Still, I was entertained.  Should really only be a five, but I give a bonus point for the great use of James Brown's "My Thang."  That's a fairly obscure track, too.

The Firecracker
Bounty Killer

Rub me the wrong way, and I'll go off in your face

View Profile
« Reply #4495 on: October 11, 2008, 02:19:18 AM »

Nathalie Portman is beautiful.

Her looks remind me of a twelve year old boy.

Her acting chops aren't much to speak of either... she seems soulless in everything she's been in after Leon.

The Official COMIN' AT YA! re-release site
http://cominatyanoir3d.com/
moviesceleton
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #4496 on: October 11, 2008, 04:38:20 AM »

Downfall (2004) - 8.5/10
Only the first 130 minutes. Cry I hate my DVR...

PowerRR
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #4497 on: October 11, 2008, 11:31:19 AM »

Marathon Man - 7.5/10
Pretty good thriller. Hoffman, Sheider, and Olivier rock.

PowerRR
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #4498 on: October 11, 2008, 11:33:31 AM »

Not going to bother with Jenkins' opinions of Touch of Evil, for we have been down that road before I think. Suffice to say he's wrong as usual.
He's more than wrong, he's freaken retarded.

titoli
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #4499 on: October 11, 2008, 03:56:25 PM »

Her looks remind me of a twelve year old boy.

Her acting chops aren't much to speak of either... she seems soulless in everything she's been in after Leon.

Never thought about her acting chops. Though I've seen worse. I've never seen her (or just noticed her) before or after yesterday.

About the 12 year old boy... well, let it go at that, uh?

Pages: 1 ... 298 299 [300] 301 302 ... 1170 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM