Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 18, 2017, 01:42:02 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Other/Miscellaneous
| |-+  Off-Topic Discussion (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Rate The Last Movie You Saw
Pages: 1 ... 302 303 [304] 305 306 ... 1161 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Rate The Last Movie You Saw  (Read 1760477 times)
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

View Profile
« Reply #4545 on: October 14, 2008, 12:00:14 PM »

Jenkins, that's what you wrote?
I don't remember that extra "N" being in there, but that is what I wrote. C'mon, titoli, the characters in Melville's gangster films are nothing like real French gangsters, or even French film gangsters. They are patterned on Hollywood models, albeit adapted to French tastes. And Hollywood models specific to the 40s and 50s. He wasn't anticipating Bonnie & Clyde, he was constantly remaking The Asphalt Jungle (or Rififi, if you prefer, another Franco-American hybrid).

That's what you get, Drink, for lying in the middle of the road.
T.H.
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #4546 on: October 14, 2008, 01:09:00 PM »

Don't forget Robert Wise's Odds Against Tomorrow.

Claudia, we need you to appear in LOST COMMAND. It's gonna revolutionize the war genre. What did you think of the script?
titoli
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #4547 on: October 14, 2008, 01:50:17 PM »

Wow, really?

As far as this crap goes maybe is even worth a 9\10. There are some scenes that are nothing less than masterful, like the whole sequence into the tomb and the prologue. I don't think that the Indiana Jones were ever as good as this, even though I just saw some snippets of the first episode and of the one with Connery. But this is a movie which should be watched in a theatre, I think that on a small screen it would lose much of its impact.

titoli
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #4548 on: October 14, 2008, 02:09:51 PM »

I don't remember that extra "N" being in there, but that is what I wrote. C'mon, titoli, the characters in Melville's gangster films are nothing like real French gangsters, or even French film gangsters. They are patterned on Hollywood models, albeit adapted to French tastes. And Hollywood models specific to the 40s and 50s. He wasn't anticipating Bonnie & Clyde, he was constantly remaking The Asphalt Jungle (or Rififi, if you prefer, another Franco-American hybrid).

Le Breton's stories were probably the greater influence on these movies. Noir movies? Well, you have to decide whether noires were specific to an era and a production system (in which case they couldn't have been simply duplicated in France and you have to choose another term to define the genre) or if they were defined by more loose concepts: in which case the genre didn't die in the 50's.

About your using foreign words as a prefix for english ones, you're bluffing badly:

http://www.freeforessays.com/essays/Homosociety/83847.html

Groggy
Bounty Killer

This post gets Agnew's stamp of approval!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4549 on: October 14, 2008, 02:42:11 PM »

As far as this crap goes maybe is even worth a 9\10. There are some scenes that are nothing less than masterful, like the whole sequence into the tomb and the prologue. I don't think that the Indiana Jones were ever as good as this, even though I just saw some snippets of the first episode and of the one with Connery. But this is a movie which should be watched in a theatre, I think that on a small screen it would lose much of its impact.

The first movie was a big childhood/adolescent favorite of mine, I watched it dozens of times in my junior high years. It's about as good as popcorn entertainment can get, and I would daresay I preferred it to Raiders of the Lost Ark, if only for its comparatively epic scope (Adrian Biddle's cinematography is masterful) and brilliant action scenes - and a fine Jerry Goldsmith score. Mummy Returns was a movie I liked as a kid, but several rewatches have shown it to be ridiculously silly and frivolous - a passable waste of time that doesn't bear any thought. The previews for this movie looked okay, but I've read nothing but negative reviews and the replacement of Rachel Weisz makes me leery. So with this recommendation, I'll keep an eye out. Afro

Saturday nights with Groggy
tucumcari bound
Bounty Killer

Leone at work.

View Profile
« Reply #4550 on: October 14, 2008, 03:40:42 PM »

Hud (1963)

Paul Newman at his very best. Such a great portayl by the late legend. I also love the simple, subtle musical score by Elmer Bernstein.

"Everything revolved around her. The way Sergio looked at women - the way he looked at me..."
titoli
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #4551 on: October 14, 2008, 03:41:38 PM »

Well, I haven't seen the first two episodes and I can't draw comparisons but this is as silly as can be and that's how hollycrap should be made. It has almost no respite, just a few seconds of romance and the rest is all action with wonderful scenaries, effective special effects and beautiul sets. Nothing you haven't seen before but what you saw before was rarely so good.  

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #4552 on: October 14, 2008, 05:12:46 PM »

About your using foreign words as a prefix for english ones, you're bluffing badly:

http://www.freeforessays.com/essays/Homosociety/83847.html
Very funny.

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #4553 on: October 14, 2008, 05:26:28 PM »

Noir movies? Well, you have to decide whether noires were specific to an era and a production system (in which case they couldn't have been simply duplicated in France and you have to choose another term to define the genre) or if they were defined by more loose concepts: in which case the genre didn't die in the 50's.
Yes, noir was specific to an era (roughly 1941-1958) and a production system. Where, oh where, did I use the term "duplicate"?

Amaze
Bounty Killer

I don't see any method at all, sir.

View Profile
« Reply #4554 on: October 14, 2008, 05:35:10 PM »

eragon 1/6
garbage.
 I really can't understand why jeremy irons and john malkovich is in this movie. and that angry guy from trainspotting. none of them really helped the movie either. it was like a poor mans LoTR. and dont get me started on the ending...

titoli
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #4555 on: October 14, 2008, 08:06:49 PM »

Yes, noir was specific to an era (roughly 1941-1958) and a production system. Where, oh where, did I use the term "duplicate"?

If they were specific to an era and a production system they couldn't be "duplicated". They could be adapted, imitated and what else but noir they weren't and couldn't be by your own definition. Otherwise you'll have to concede that the noir exceeded those two boundaries. And your whole theory crumbles. It's as simple as that.

titoli
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #4556 on: October 14, 2008, 08:10:23 PM »

Very funny.

Indeed. Next time italics will be in order, uh?

Silenzio
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #4557 on: October 14, 2008, 09:15:49 PM »

In the first case the influence would rather be on Morricone.

No, you have to thank me. Jenkins was rooting for Le Doulos.

True, Morricone.

There may have been some other things, but unfortunately that movie is too stashed away in my memory to come up with any good examples.  Aah well.

And I should probably thank you both, as I put 'em both on my list.  Probably won't see 'em for a while though, since I'm in the middle of a Twin Peaks obsession that should possess my television/film watching for a while.

moviesceleton
Bounty Killer

The glance that makes holes in the silver screen

View Profile
« Reply #4558 on: October 15, 2008, 03:42:41 AM »

Apache (1954) - 5/10

"Once Upon a Time in America gets ten-minute ovation at Cannes"
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #4559 on: October 15, 2008, 07:35:14 AM »

Saddle the Wind (1958) 5/10

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
Pages: 1 ... 302 303 [304] 305 306 ... 1161 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM