Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 13, 2017, 04:23:39 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Other/Miscellaneous
| |-+  Off-Topic Discussion (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Rate The Last Movie You Saw
Pages: 1 ... 304 305 [306] 307 308 ... 1169 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Rate The Last Movie You Saw  (Read 1834166 times)
titoli
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #4575 on: October 17, 2008, 04:32:36 PM »

I like :

Why is it that bullets ricochet off of Superman's chest, but he ducks when the gun is thrown at him?

The Firecracker
Bounty Killer

Rub me the wrong way, and I'll go off in your face

View Profile
« Reply #4576 on: October 17, 2008, 06:09:03 PM »

If a tree falls in the woods and nobody is there to hear it, will it make a sound?

The Official COMIN' AT YA! re-release site
http://cominatyanoir3d.com/
Groggy
Bounty Killer

This post gets Agnew's stamp of approval!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4577 on: October 17, 2008, 09:48:57 PM »

The Day of the Jackal - 9/10 - I've lost track of how many times I've seen this film, at least eight now.

Saturday nights with Groggy
The Firecracker
Bounty Killer

Rub me the wrong way, and I'll go off in your face

View Profile
« Reply #4578 on: October 18, 2008, 12:54:40 AM »

The Day of the Jackal - 9/10 - I've lost track of how many times I've seen this film, at least eight now.

Don't watch it again.

The Official COMIN' AT YA! re-release site
http://cominatyanoir3d.com/
moviesceleton
Bounty Killer

The glance that makes holes in the silver screen

View Profile
« Reply #4579 on: October 18, 2008, 05:58:11 AM »

How to Lose a Guy in 10 Days (2003) - 4.5/10
I was surprised how much I liked it.

"Once Upon a Time in America gets ten-minute ovation at Cannes"
Groggy
Bounty Killer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4580 on: October 18, 2008, 08:17:56 AM »

Don't watch it again.

And why the beep not?

manuel
Road Apple

They had a lot of weapons mister.

View Profile
« Reply #4581 on: October 18, 2008, 08:59:35 AM »

Beyond the Law 4/5. Today We Kill...Tomorrow We Die 5/5.

moviesceleton
Bounty Killer

The glance that makes holes in the silver screen

View Profile
« Reply #4582 on: October 18, 2008, 09:37:23 AM »

The Terminal (2004) - 6/10

"Once Upon a Time in America gets ten-minute ovation at Cannes"
manuel
Road Apple

They had a lot of weapons mister.

View Profile
« Reply #4583 on: October 18, 2008, 01:12:01 PM »

And God Said to Cain. 3/5

Groggy
Bounty Killer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4584 on: October 18, 2008, 09:23:07 PM »

The Great Escape - 7/10 - Entertaining but very long and a bit draggy. I'm getting sick of POW movies by now, they all follow roughly the same formula, and in WWII films especially they continually beg the question: Once the escape attempts begin, why don't the Germans make an example of the conspirators/ring-leaders at some point? The Scots guy who makes an insane run for the wire in broad daylight is the only one who gets it. (Steve McQueen getting to make three escape attempts before the final break-out should have earned him a bullet in the head, especially given his past history.) The escape is a bit muddled and confused too, I must say. The all-star cast is pretty good on the whole, no bad portrayals at least, although none of them give stand-out "wow" performances. This isn't going high on my list, but it was entertaining enough for what it is. And Bernstein's score is excellent, if that needed to be said. This makes three Sturges films I've given a 7/10; do I see a pattern? (A fourth, For the Love of Rusty, gets a significantly lower rating, but I won't hold that against him.)

Groggy
Bounty Killer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4585 on: October 18, 2008, 10:27:36 PM »

How to Lose a Guy in 10 Days (2003) - 4.5/10
I was surprised how much I liked it.

Dunno if it was intentional but I got a chuckle reading that. Grin

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

View Profile
« Reply #4586 on: October 19, 2008, 08:21:11 AM »

The Great Escape - 7/10 - Entertaining but very long and a bit draggy. I'm getting sick of POW movies by now, they all follow roughly the same formula, and in WWII films especially they continually beg the question: Once the escape attempts begin, why don't the Germans make an example of the conspirators/ring-leaders at some point? The Scots guy who makes an insane run for the wire in broad daylight is the only one who gets it. (Steve McQueen getting to make three escape attempts before the final break-out should have earned him a bullet in the head, especially given his past history.)
I think the film does a good job of laying out why this is so. You see, there are Germans, and then there are Germans. The camp for downed allied fliers is run by the Luftwaffe, on the principle that, I guess, if you shoot 'em down, you gotta guard 'em. The jailers and their prisoners, then, are colleagues, and the Luftwaffe bends over backwards to to extend their colleagues every professional courtesy (on the principle that someday their roles could be reversed). And the prisoner's right to  attempt escape is covered by law (either under Hague or Geneva, I don't know which). But of course, the Luftwaffe is working for a criminal enterprise, and they're under a lot of pressure to keep escapes to a minimum, by any means. But the German officers have their code. Still, they know if they don't take care of business, eventually the murderers above them will (and they might lose their own lives into the bargain). So the commandant, he's got a tough job, and he wants to do right by his charges, but he's feeling the heat. And the allied fliers are treating it all like it's some kind of game. Notice, though, that when the executions come, it is done outside the normal chain of command. Goering either couldn't or wouldn't get his guys to shoot the troublemakers (and thus provide the example you mention) so the job fell to Himmler.

The film is a bit draggy, as you say, but perhaps that comes with attempting to follow history (somewhat) accurately. When they throw history out the window, as they do in Von Ryan's Express, the results are better.

Hey, what's with the poncey new identity?

That's what you get, Drink, for being such an annoying Melville fanboy.
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

View Profile
« Reply #4587 on: October 19, 2008, 09:13:14 AM »

The Devil, Probably (1977) - 6/10. What happened to Robert Bresson? After a string of 10-for-10 films (Diary of a Country Priest, A Man Escaped, Pickpocket, Au hasard, Balthazar) his game seemed to go south on him (okay, I haven't seen A Gentle Woman or 4 Nights of a Dreamer, maybe those are better). But Mouchette is just Balthazar without the donkey (quite a loss), Lancelot du lac is Monty Python without the holy grail of humor, and The Devil, Probably ends with a suicide--the third such ending in a run of 5 films! (I give nothing away here, the ending of TD,P is announced at the opening). It seems the great director was out of material, and Bresson without material is just mannered (and dull). Happily, he came roaring back with L'Argent, which is Tolstoy meets Flannery O'Connor, but having to kill time waiting for it with TD,P seems a chore.

« Last Edit: October 19, 2008, 09:15:24 AM by dave jenkins » Logged

That's what you get, Drink, for being such an annoying Melville fanboy.
Amaze
Bounty Killer

I don't see any method at all, sir.

View Profile
« Reply #4588 on: October 19, 2008, 09:37:50 AM »

Iron Man 3/6
some parts were all right, but the story was perhaps a bit too thin. and the final battle was just lame. 

Groggy
Bounty Killer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4589 on: October 19, 2008, 09:58:07 AM »

You had better take back the poncey remark or I'll send Mr. Mercer to rough you up. Make any height jokes and you'll be hanged.

« Last Edit: October 19, 2008, 10:00:45 AM by Lord Cutler Beckett » Logged

Pages: 1 ... 304 305 [306] 307 308 ... 1169 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM