Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 18, 2017, 03:28:13 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Other/Miscellaneous
| |-+  Off-Topic Discussion (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Rate The Last Movie You Saw
Pages: 1 ... 306 307 [308] 309 310 ... 1170 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Rate The Last Movie You Saw  (Read 1844073 times)
T.H.
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #4605 on: October 24, 2008, 08:19:21 AM »

Broadway Danny Rose (1984) - 6/10

any reason for the low rating?

I love this movie, just curious to hear your thoughts.

Claudia, we need you to appear in LOST COMMAND. It's gonna revolutionize the war genre. What did you think of the script?
Groggy
Bounty Killer

This post gets Agnew's stamp of approval!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4606 on: October 24, 2008, 08:22:08 AM »

As usual, you're nuts. The running gag with the television is hilarious. And that ending with the deer--precious beyond belief. This is kitsch raised to art (only Agnes Varda, in Le bonheur, has been able to match it).

Shocked Yikes, Jenkins. You're one of them. Clearly, there's no hope for you. Undecided

I more or less agree with you on The Paradine Case, although my rating was a lot more generous (I think I gave it a 5 or 6). I will say that the first hour or so has some interesting moments - Peck's obsession with Alida Valli seems to pre-figure Vertigo, but then there's Ann Todd... And I like Charles Laughton. And there are some camera moves I like, the deep-focus tracking shot when Louis Jourdan enters the court-room most notably. That's about all the praise that I'm willing to dish out, except that it doesn't quite reach the Stygian depths of boredom attained by Torn Curtain.

« Last Edit: October 24, 2008, 11:16:41 AM by Lord Cutler Beckett » Logged

Saturday nights with Groggy
moviesceleton
Bounty Killer

The glance that makes holes in the silver screen

View Profile
« Reply #4607 on: October 24, 2008, 09:34:43 AM »

any reason for the low rating?

I love this movie, just curious to hear your thoughts.
I don't know, IMO it just isn't that great. It isn't extremely funny, eventhough it's got its funny moments, and the ending is kinda "easy". But I still enjoyed it, especially the style. I could maybe give it 7/10...

[Rec] (2007) - 5/10
Not extremely original or even scary.

"Once Upon a Time in America gets ten-minute ovation at Cannes"
T.H.
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #4608 on: October 24, 2008, 01:46:37 PM »

I don't know, IMO it just isn't that great. It isn't extremely funny, eventhough it's got its funny moments, and the ending is kinda "easy". But I still enjoyed it, especially the style. I could maybe give it 7/10...

********Spoilers for Broadway Danny Rose**********

I disagree with your assessment of the ending, it's perfectly tragic. He finally sticks up for himself but sacrfices his heart, optimism and a possible shot at love. I can't think of too many films that punishes the clumsy, loveable pushover for finally standing up for himelf.

Claudia, we need you to appear in LOST COMMAND. It's gonna revolutionize the war genre. What did you think of the script?
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

View Profile
« Reply #4609 on: October 24, 2008, 02:05:14 PM »

I more or less agree with you on The Paradine Case, although my rating was a lot more generous (I think I gave it a 5 or 6). I will say that the first hour or so has some interesting moments - Peck's obsession with Alida Valli seems to pre-figure Vertigo, but then there's Ann Todd... And I like Charles Laughton. And there are some camera moves I like, the deep-focus tracking shot when Louis Jourdan enters the court-room most notably. That's about all the praise that I'm willing to dish out, except that it doesn't quite reach the Stygian depths of boredom attained by Torn Curtain.
Torn Curtain at least has a nice, messy on-screen murder.

The good things in TPC pre-figure similar things done better in later films. Had Selznick not screwed up the editing, this film would have made a nice trilogy, stylistically speaking, with Rope and Under Capricorn. It's not well constructed, however. The lack of any secondary plot, for example, really hurts the story. And while there are some good performances (Charles Laughton, as you say, especially while on the bench) other potentialities are simply thrown away. Having a bewigged John Williams sitting beside Gregory Peck for almost half the movie, completely mute, is such an insane waste. The sets looked good, though.

That's what you get, Drink, for being such an annoying Melville fanboy.
Groggy
Bounty Killer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4610 on: October 24, 2008, 02:11:55 PM »

The casting of Gregory Peck is baffling too. He is just plain wrong for the part.

The Firecracker
Bounty Killer

Rub me the wrong way, and I'll go off in your face

View Profile
« Reply #4611 on: October 24, 2008, 07:08:03 PM »

[Rec] (2007) - 5/10
Not extremely original or even scary.

I felt it to be something of a one trick pony myself but the final 10 minutes in the penthouse is really great!

6/10

I won't even bother with the American remake.

The Official COMIN' AT YA! re-release site
http://cominatyanoir3d.com/
titoli
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #4612 on: October 24, 2008, 08:22:01 PM »

Wall-E a bit longish, still impressive, if seen at the cinema. 8\10

PowerRR
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #4613 on: October 25, 2008, 08:36:21 AM »

Paisan - 6.9/10
Now that I've finally got to see it, I'm a bit underwhelmed, but pretty good nonetheless. I'm sure the fact that it has one of the worst transfers I've ever seen doesn't help the score either.

Groggy
Bounty Killer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4614 on: October 25, 2008, 10:25:27 AM »

Spartacus - 8/10

Kurug3n
Bounty Killer

Que pasa?

View Profile
« Reply #4615 on: October 25, 2008, 11:15:37 AM »

Metallica:Some Kind of Monster 8/10

Wish they had the entire Dave Mustaine and Lars Ulrich meeting instead of the 10 minutes.

moviesceleton
Bounty Killer

The glance that makes holes in the silver screen

View Profile
« Reply #4616 on: October 25, 2008, 11:26:29 AM »

Metallica:Some Kind of Monster 8/10

Wish they had the entire Dave Mustaine and Lars Ulrich meeting instead of the 10 minutes.
Wasn't the whole thing on the extras? I found it rather unbelievable that he still held such a grudge after all the success he had with Megadeth. Okay, being in Metallica is always something else, but still...

"Once Upon a Time in America gets ten-minute ovation at Cannes"
Kurug3n
Bounty Killer

Que pasa?

View Profile
« Reply #4617 on: October 25, 2008, 12:00:49 PM »

I dont think it would be at least 10 minutes long.I read that they go on for a while. I know thats pretty insane he still has that grudge but damn he missed out on a very important band. Not that Megadeth is less important but Metallica is fucking Metallica.

mr. mouse
Chicken Thief

View Profile
« Reply #4618 on: October 25, 2008, 12:48:58 PM »

Wasn't the whole thing on the extras? I found it rather unbelievable that he still held such a grudge after all the success he had with Megadeth. Okay, being in Metallica is always something else, but still...
I'm not a fan of metallica nor megadeth, but megadeth are way cooler in my opinion.

anyway, last movie seen: the sword and the sorcerer
enjoyed it very much, a lot of campy fun. the only real dissapointment is that neither the sword nor the sorcerer play a big role in the story.

Groggy
Bounty Killer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4619 on: October 25, 2008, 10:22:32 PM »

W - 3/10 - Utter shit. I will elaborate in the appropriate thread.

Pages: 1 ... 306 307 [308] 309 310 ... 1170 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM