Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 11, 2017, 02:42:28 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Other/Miscellaneous
| |-+  Off-Topic Discussion (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Rate The Last Movie You Saw
Pages: 1 ... 311 312 [313] 314 315 ... 1169 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Rate The Last Movie You Saw  (Read 1830712 times)
titoli
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #4680 on: November 05, 2008, 08:38:40 AM »

Oh, come on. The novel is no great shakes. It's just a more cynical Tom Jones, but since Richardson had already adapted that, Kubrick had to have a fresh approach. I think his strategy really paid off: instead of going with the unreliable narrator approach (as in the novel) and playing it all for laughs, K stood back and attempted a God's-eye P.O.V. Barry was not allowed to tell his story to his advantage, and thus he is exposed for the shit he really is. Why should we care about the character, then? Ultimately we don't, but the attentive viewer gradually transfers his sympathies to Lady Lyndon. Quite a feat, as she is presented as a monster in the book. I for one find the stories of seemingly intelligent women falling for complete scoundrels interesting, as it seems so much of civilized life turns on such things. . . .

I don't think I've read many novels better than this. Most certainly my fault. What is lacking in Kubrick's approach is the picaresque attitude toward Barry's existence, maybe coming to the fore only in the adventure with his cousin. The rest looks very much like set pieces, almost like a History Channel documentary. Which is a roundabout way of saying that the movie is lifeless. I'd rather read the novel again than watching it for the 5th time.   Though I'll have to do it again as I always saw the dubbed version of the movie. BTW, the narrator in the italian version is Romolo Valli.

Groggy
Bounty Killer

This post gets Agnew's stamp of approval!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4681 on: November 05, 2008, 08:44:02 AM »

Cinema is more than dialogue. That last scene, where she's doing the accounts, and she writes out the check or whatever for Barry, that communicates nothing to you? I've always found that very moving.

You're not really convincing me that I should feel anything towards an underwritten and mostly undeveloped character.

Saturday nights with Groggy
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

View Profile
« Reply #4682 on: November 05, 2008, 08:58:42 AM »

You're not really convincing me that I should feel anything towards an underwritten and mostly undeveloped character.
It's virtually a non-speaking part. If you want to call that underwriting, very well. But the part is not under-directed: Kubrick gives us an index into her emotional state throughout. It's all in the gaze.

That's what you get, Drink, for being such an annoying Melville fanboy.
moviesceleton
Bounty Killer

The glance that makes holes in the silver screen

View Profile
« Reply #4683 on: November 05, 2008, 12:09:32 PM »

Hollow Triumph (1948) - 7/10
A few scenes are great, otherwise it's mostly OK and then there are some overly stupid plot holes/mistakes. I might be a tad generous with my rating...

"Once Upon a Time in America gets ten-minute ovation at Cannes"
Amaze
Bounty Killer

I don't see any method at all, sir.

View Profile
« Reply #4684 on: November 05, 2008, 02:43:12 PM »

The War Within (2005) 4/6
good movie about a very controversial subject these days. I just think it could have gone deeper.
I hear paradise now is a better movie on the same subject. will have to check that out.

Tucumcari Bound
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #4685 on: November 05, 2008, 02:49:38 PM »

White Heat (1949)

One of James Cagney's very best and a very influential gangster picture. I love this film.

"This train'll stop at Tucumbari."
titoli
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #4686 on: November 05, 2008, 03:25:00 PM »

It's virtually a non-speaking part. If you want to call that underwriting, very well. But the part is not under-directed: Kubrick gives us an index into her emotional state throughout. It's all in the gaze.

You read this somewhere, I'd bet. 

Groggy
Bounty Killer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4687 on: November 05, 2008, 03:28:53 PM »

I have to say Jenkins, I don't see this as much of a counter-argument.

Grin

Silenzio
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #4688 on: November 05, 2008, 03:57:27 PM »

Exorcist II: The Heretic (1977) - 4/10
This is everything the original was in danger to be but wasn't.

On the plus side: a rocking Ennio score.

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #4689 on: November 05, 2008, 05:27:00 PM »

I did not invent the English language. The words "virtually" "index" "emotional" and "gaze" were not coined by me. Nonetheless, the particular use to which they were put in the statement above originated with me.

Grogs, the film is its own argument. When I first saw it in a theater in 1976 I was devastated. I had no idea what I was in for, and the sense at the end of lives and emotions completely squandered hit me hard. I believe you when you say the movie generates in you nothing but ennui, but believe me in turn that other responses to the film are possible.

Groggy
Bounty Killer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4690 on: November 05, 2008, 05:40:51 PM »

What? You DIDN'T write the first English dictionary? Shocked

titoli
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #4691 on: November 05, 2008, 05:45:13 PM »

Nonetheless, the particular use to which they were put in the statement above originated with me.

Ok, I'll reformulate my question: you quoted somebody else's concept (though using a different lexikon)? Because really, Jenkins, that Marisa Berenson may express something, and just by her gaze (now, don't tell me you meant the camera gaze, please) at that, beats everything you wrote on this forum so far.

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #4692 on: November 05, 2008, 05:46:45 PM »

Decision at Sundown (1957) 5/10 the weakest Boetticher-Scott films that I've seen.

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #4693 on: November 05, 2008, 06:03:14 PM »

I meant both the gaze of the camera as well as Ms. Berenson's mute performance (in the nature of the case, we must gaze upon the gazer). Lady Lyndon hardly speaks, yet her sadness communicates to me very powerfully. What, then, must the medium of that communication be, if not her gaze?

Amaze
Bounty Killer

I don't see any method at all, sir.

View Profile
« Reply #4694 on: November 05, 2008, 06:35:49 PM »

perhaps you should start a barry lyndon topic where you can delve deeply into this woman's gaze.

Pages: 1 ... 311 312 [313] 314 315 ... 1169 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM