Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 11, 2017, 10:20:36 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Other/Miscellaneous
| |-+  Off-Topic Discussion (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Rate The Last Movie You Saw
Pages: 1 ... 317 318 [319] 320 321 ... 1169 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Rate The Last Movie You Saw  (Read 1831394 times)
PowerRR
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #4770 on: November 16, 2008, 08:02:37 PM »

Jackie Brown - 8 to 8.5/10
Although not a masterpiece, it's a masterpiece on Tarantino standards and definitely his best film. A much more matured and slowed down pace than his other movies, with actual characters that are well-developed and worth caring about. I wish he made more movies like this. He implements his own style without making it way over the top.

The Firecracker
Bounty Killer

Rub me the wrong way, and I'll go off in your face

View Profile
« Reply #4771 on: November 16, 2008, 09:11:34 PM »

Jackie Brown - 8 to 8.5/10
 I wish he made more movies like this.

A shame that he never will.
This was a dud and ever since then he's sold out with pictures like Kill Bill and Grindhouse.
Safe Tarantino pictures. Of course, it didn't work for him for the latter movie.
Hopefully his WW2 epic, which he couldn't come up with an original title for, fares well.
I've read half the script and I think it has potential to be much better than his turn of the century outings.

The Official COMIN' AT YA! re-release site
http://cominatyanoir3d.com/
Tucumcari Bound
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #4772 on: November 16, 2008, 10:07:40 PM »

Grindhouse isn't that bad. Take it for what it is. The man created a great car chase, far better than the CGI action being produced today. It was a nod to B-movies. It is what it is. Also, KILL BILL isn't as bad as you think it is FC as well. It was critically acclaimed for a reason. Again, you're taking that way to seriously as well.

"This train'll stop at Tucumbari."
Cole
Road Apple

View Profile
« Reply #4773 on: November 16, 2008, 11:04:06 PM »

Rear Window-9/10

I'm discovering all these older films.

The Firecracker
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #4774 on: November 16, 2008, 11:12:33 PM »

Grindhouse isn't that bad. Take it for what it is. The man created a great car chase, far better than the CGI action being produced today. It was a nod to B-movies. It is what it is. Also, KILL BILL isn't as bad as you think it is FC as well. It was critically acclaimed for a reason. Again, you're taking that way to seriously as well.

Expressing my opinion is taking it (what is it by the way?) too seriously?
How is that?

The first Kill Bill movie is an entertaining revenge picture with no ending.
The second is pretty much a snooze fest (granted, there are some very good scenes with or without excellent action/fight scenes) with some of the worst dialogue ever. It was in this movie where I started to notice that he was flubbing in the department that got him into the spotlight in the first place.

This is being generous because both movies are meant to be seen as a whole film.
If I reviewed these two flicks as one whole picture I could only give it a negative review majorily for the pacing problems.

Death Proof is a complete debacle.
50 minutes of nothing but incessant chatter from characters who all think alike and talk alike.
QT's dialogue has become a parody of itself.
It just feels like some dude trying to be the Tarantino of the 90's but failing miserably, and the car chase...

...though good...

doesn't save the movie from being a total fart bomb.

Let me expand on the car chase a little...
 the car chase is good but nowhere near the quality of the car chases it was constantly compared to.
I commend him for not having CGI but just because he did doesn't make him the super master of the world as everybody thinks he is. The first Bourne, which I saw tonight and may I say it is much better than the two shit sequels that follow it, movie actually has a fine car chase with no CGI what so ever. The film preceded QT's chase by 5 years. I didn't remember anybody mentioning that in the reviews. No, the glory goes to Tarantino for making the first car chase without any CGI in "ages".

+, and I know this is an old subject that has been beaten to death but...

The dude practically ripped a bunch of stuff from other car chases that came before it then put it in his little movie.
Remember the scene where Stuntman Mike and the girls are seperated by a large pond and each party looks at each other from across the pond whilst heading for the edge of the body of water so their cars can meet and continue smashing eachother?
That whole segment is directly ripped from a car chase in Special Cop in Action starring Maurizio Merli.
The guy even has the audacity to have the music cue from that scene in THAT movie inserted into his movie in exactly the same way!

All this would be dandy if he would just fess up and say, "hey guys, this is nothing new. Check this movie out".

And might I add that the self proclaimed "trash movie know-it-all" doesn't seem to know a whole lot about the movies he claims to be a fan of. AC will tell you that his commentaries for Kung-Fu movies are constantly riddled with errors. BIG GIANT ERRORS.
To me, he comes off as a guy who is knowledgable enough about these things but not nearly as much as he's letting on.
He knows movie titles. When it comes to start naming the stars of these titles he's lost.

And of course, nobody calls him on it because who wants to watch anything before 1977 that isn't a classy picture?
There is nothing better to have than an ignorant audience (http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1309/1409024660_fdc37e661e.jpg) and QT knows it.

Other than that pet peeve I think he's an okay guy. He certainly seems to be in interviews and such.
I guess I can judge for myself when I meet him later in Feb. Pending on his completion of IG.
It's his butt buddy, Robert Rodriguez, whom I've heard is the biggest asshole since Attila The Hun.

« Last Edit: November 17, 2008, 12:55:50 AM by The Firecracker » Logged

The Firecracker
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #4775 on: November 16, 2008, 11:15:26 PM »

It was critically acclaimed for a reason.

Again, Elton John's Candle In The Wind (the 97 version which he switched focus from MM to Princes Diana) is the number one best selling single of all time.
Proving, yet again, that popular doesn't mean "Great".

Cole
Road Apple

View Profile
« Reply #4776 on: November 17, 2008, 12:00:26 AM »

Dude,I love your post and this is a great one,but I disagree a bit.The dialogue in Deathproof is what everyone bitches about,but I didn't mind it.For instance when one of the characters gets her face shaved off,it shocked me a bit more,because I felt like I knew her a bit.In one scene with Stuntman Mike she turns out to be a good sport and I liked her for that.I like movies that build character.It's a rare thing today.I do agree that it was below par for him though.I just rewatched Pulp Fiction the other day and the dialogue is amazing in that film.
I also think your being a bit harsh on the car chase.I've never seen the movie in question that he ripped off,but I bet it was done as a homage and not meant to be a clear rip-off.I do agree he should point that out though.The car chase is what I wanted out of that film and I felt it delivered.Not a lot new,but the way it fit into the film with the tables being turned halfway through, it was very cool to me.
I just liked the whole concept of Grindhouse.I saw it in theaters,and while niether film was great,they were fun.A pretty good value too,in my opinion.

« Last Edit: November 17, 2008, 12:01:57 AM by Cole » Logged
The Firecracker
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #4777 on: November 17, 2008, 12:48:02 AM »

Dude,I love your post and this is a great one,but I disagree a bit.The dialogue in Deathproof is what everyone bitches about,but I didn't mind it.For instance when one of the characters gets her face shaved off,it shocked me a bit more,because I felt like I knew her a bit.

Homage (the QT fanbase's favorite last resort) is something I wouldn't call the scene in question.
It is the definition of a rip-off. Watch both movies. QT's scene is a shot for shot "remake" of the original's scene and he doesn't tell anybody.
Say it on the commentary at least.

I know what you're saying but the long scenes of dialogue did the opposite for me.
It made me dislike the first set of girls a whole lot.
When I saw them being ripped to shreds I honestly didn't care.
The second set of girls were more bearable (mainly because the dialogue slightly improved) but it still was torture sitting through even more of that wanna be Tarantino stuff.

Basically, after the first 15 minutes of Death Proof I knew the movie was going nowhere and I just wanted to go home.
The best thing about GRINDHOUSE were the trailers.

« Last Edit: November 17, 2008, 01:03:00 AM by The Firecracker » Logged

Whalestoe
« Reply #4778 on: November 17, 2008, 01:09:11 AM »

Homage (the QT fanbase's favorite last resort) is something I wouldn't call the scene in question.
It is the definition of a rip-off. Watch both movies. QT's scene is a shot for shot "remake" of the original's scene and he doesn't tell anybody.
Say it on the commentary at least.

I know what you're saying but the long scenes of dialogue did the opposite for me.
It made me dislike the first set of girls a whole lot.
When I saw them being ripped to shreds I honestly didn't care.
The second set of girls were more bearable (mainly because the dialogue slightly improved) but it still was torture sitting through even more of that wanna be Tarantino stuff.

Basically, after the first 15 minutes of Death Proof I knew the movie was going nowhere and I just wanted to go home.
The best thing about GRINDHOUSE were the trailers.

I enjoyed watching Tarantino's dick fall off in Planet Terror. I'm sure that happens daily for him though.

The Firecracker
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #4779 on: November 17, 2008, 01:11:51 AM »

I enjoyed watching Tarantino's dick fall off in Planet Terror. I'm sure that happens daily for him though.

Yeah I enjoyed Planet Terror as well.

I rewatched it when it hit those movie channels and who would have thought the uncut version (that played in Europe) was 45 minutes longer than the version we saw here.
I gotta say, it played better as a 75 minute romp.
The extra scenes were just tedious.
I can't imagine the pain of watching a 2 and 1/2 hour Insomnia Proof.

Tucumcari Bound
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #4780 on: November 17, 2008, 01:13:12 AM »

I admit DEATH PROOF took a while to get going and the film screams that Tarantino is in love with himself with his over-usage of dialogue. But, when the film really got going, and got past all that rhetoric between the lady characters, I enjoyed what I seen. I'm a pretty big Kurt Russell fan so I enjoyed his performance as Stuntman Mike. I'm a big fan of 1970's muscle cars and it was cool to see a long car chase involving them.

Whalestoe
« Reply #4781 on: November 17, 2008, 01:15:05 AM »

Can't sleep? Throw in Death Proof--Tarantino's sweet blabbering of nothing and nonsense will put you riiight to bed.

Yeah, the cars were cool. The stunt scene was cool. The only problem is that wasn't the whole movie... (obviously)

Kurt Russell does fucking rule. He's one of it's saving graces, however, nothing beats him as Jack Burton.

The Firecracker
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #4782 on: November 17, 2008, 01:18:26 AM »

I admit DEATH PROOF took a while to get going and the film screams that Tarantino is in love with himself with his over-usage of dialogue. But, when the film really got going, and got past all that rhetoric between the lady characters, I enjoyed what I seen. I'm a pretty big Kurt Russell fan so I enjoyed his performance as Stuntman Mike. I'm a big fan of 1970's muscle cars and it was cool to see a long car chase involving them.

So you liked about 25 minutes of a 95 minute movie.

That means the film itself has reached the status of...

Tucumcari Bound
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #4783 on: November 17, 2008, 01:19:41 AM »

So you liked about 25 minutes of a 95 minute movie.

That means the film itself has reached the status of...

I do like the scenes in the bar with Stuntman Mike. Everytime this character was on screen, I was entertained. I wish we could have seen more of him.

The Firecracker
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #4784 on: November 17, 2008, 01:22:57 AM »

I do like the scenes in the bar with Stuntman Mike. Everytime this character was on screen, I was entertained. I wish we could have seen more of him.

I can agree with that.

Pages: 1 ... 317 318 [319] 320 321 ... 1169 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM