Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 16, 2017, 09:28:23 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Other/Miscellaneous
| |-+  Off-Topic Discussion (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Rate The Last Movie You Saw
Pages: 1 ... 326 327 [328] 329 330 ... 1170 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Rate The Last Movie You Saw  (Read 1840899 times)
Groggy
Bounty Killer

This post gets Agnew's stamp of approval!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4905 on: December 02, 2008, 09:05:24 PM »

The Godfather, Part III - 9 to 9.5/10
WTF?! I'll fight the next asshole that bashes this movie. Nearly as great as the original two. Arguably Pacino's best performance in the trilogy. Sophia Coppola's trainwreck of a performance is one of the only things wrong with this movie.

Godfather III isn't a bad movie, but it isn't in the same league as the first two.

Saturday nights with Groggy
Whalestoe
« Reply #4906 on: December 03, 2008, 12:46:30 AM »

Godfather III isn't a bad movie, but it isn't in the same league as the first two.

And Andy Garcia can just go and kill himself.

moviesceleton
Bounty Killer

The glance that makes holes in the silver screen

View Profile
« Reply #4907 on: December 03, 2008, 12:03:23 PM »

Where Danger Lives (1950) - 7+/10
There's an interesting, hazy, fevered atmosphere. I recommend this little film noir eventhough it's not a masterpiece Afro

"Once Upon a Time in America gets ten-minute ovation at Cannes"
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #4908 on: December 03, 2008, 05:05:30 PM »

Odds Against Tomorrow fixed Belefonte for Poitier,  Afro

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
moviesceleton
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #4909 on: December 04, 2008, 12:35:17 PM »

The Narrow Margin (1952) - 7.5/10
I'm not sure if the twist makes perfect sense but overall this was good. The fist fight was very intense and I liked the use of reflections in windows. I also liked the short running time of 71 mins.

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #4910 on: December 04, 2008, 01:49:11 PM »

I like the Narrow Margin also Marie Windsor is a favorite and a classic Noir Actress, check her out in "The Killing" too.  Afro

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
PowerRR
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #4911 on: December 04, 2008, 04:55:22 PM »

A Bronx Tale - 9/10
Fantastic, I thought.

Groggy
Bounty Killer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4912 on: December 04, 2008, 07:15:15 PM »

Cat People - 3/10 - The remake. This is a very appropriate last film for our class considering that we watched the brilliant original to start the semester, and also because the difference in quality between the two is unfathomably huge. The first movie had its faults but its atmsophere of nightmare dread and frightening (and quite clever) ambiguity has never been topped in any horror film I've seen. This movie predictably ramps up the gore, violence, sex and nudity, destroying all subtlety and turning the movie into a gruesome and routine splatter flick (with some very awkward homages to the original). It's abominable throughout; even the oft-nude Natassja Kinski does little to alleviate it. It gets an extra star each for an interesting mis-en-scene and Malcolm McDowell's delightfully over-the-top performance, but otherwise there's absolutely no reason to see this film until the original disappears off the face of the Earth.

« Last Edit: December 04, 2008, 09:43:55 PM by Groggy » Logged

moviesceleton
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #4913 on: December 05, 2008, 04:17:36 AM »

The 3 Rooms of Melancholia - 7/10
"A searing examination of the unrelenting Chechen conflict, observed through the prisms of a Russian military boys academy, a war-torn town and a children's refugee camp." (IMDb) The first room is great but the two later (especially the second) rooms require more patience.

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

View Profile
« Reply #4914 on: December 05, 2008, 05:35:27 AM »

Cat People - 3/10 - The remake. This is a very appropriate last film for our class considering that we watched the brilliant original to start the semester, and also because the difference in quality between the two is unfathomably huge. The first movie had its faults but its atmsophere of nightmare dread and frightening (and quite clever) ambiguity has never been topped in any horror film I've seen. This movie predictably ramps up the gore, violence, sex and nudity, destroying all subtlety and turning the movie into a gruesome and routine splatter flick (with some very awkward homages to the original). It's abominable throughout; even the oft-nude Natassja Kinski does little to alleviate it. It gets an extra star each for an interesting mis-en-scene and Malcolm McDowell's delightfully over-the-top performance, but otherwise there's absolutely no reason to see this film until the original disappears off the face of the Earth.
The one other thing to note is that the first Cat People was a cheapie, whilst the remake cost considerably more to produce (even when dollars are adjusted). AND the first was done under the Hays/Breen code, and is much sexier than the post-code one.

That's what you get, Drink, for being such an annoying Melville fanboy.
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #4915 on: December 05, 2008, 05:44:25 AM »

Where Danger Lives (1950) - 7+/10
There's an interesting, hazy, fevered atmosphere. I recommend this little film noir eventhough it's not a masterpiece Afro
This film doesn't work for me at all. Why is Mitchum such a chump? Yeah, yeah, he got hit on the head . . . So, he's incapable of any rational action thereafter? Watching this, I couldn't wait for it to be over.

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #4916 on: December 05, 2008, 05:56:09 AM »

The Narrow Margin (1952) - 7.5/10
I'm not sure if the twist makes perfect sense but overall this was good. The fist fight was very intense and I liked the use of reflections in windows. I also liked the short running time of 71 mins.
****SPOILER*****
The twist makes no sense whatsoever, and makes nonsense of the whole plot. If you're going to have a decoy, then you should have them traveling separately. What if you decide to take out the whole train with a bomb? That way you'd get the decoy and the real article, even if you didn't know you were being decoyed. And of course, why use the train to begin with, when you can reduce your exposure by simply flying? What you might then do, however, is send the decoy by train . . . but again, the decoy would be traveling separately.
****END SPOILER****

I agree with CJ about Marie Windsor, though. She's great, and is used better elsewhere (including, as CJ says, The Killing). She's in a couple of Perry Masons, as I remember.

moviesceleton
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #4917 on: December 05, 2008, 06:23:27 AM »

****SPOILER*****
The twist makes no sense whatsoever, and makes nonsense of the whole plot. If you're going to have a decoy, then you should have them traveling separately. What if you decide to take out the whole train with a bomb? That way you'd get the decoy and the real article, even if you didn't know you were being decoyed. And of course, why use the train to begin with, when you can reduce your exposure by simply flying? What you might then do, however, is send the decoy by train . . . but again, the decoy would be traveling separately.
****END SPOILER****

I agree with CJ about Marie Windsor, though. She's great, and is used better elsewhere (including, as CJ says, The Killing). She's in a couple of Perry Masons, as I remember.
I just decided to go and watch The Killing.

***SPOILERS*** for The Narrow Margin
What's equally stupid is the behaviour of the decoy. Her behaviour is understandable as long as we think she's a gangster's wife, a stupid and noisy tramp. But why would a police officer try, on purpose, to attract as much attention as possible and make sure she will be discovered? OK, she's trying to find out if Brown would take bribes but there's no reason why she should try to make the operation any harder. 
***END SPOILERS***

moviesceleton
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #4918 on: December 05, 2008, 08:26:11 AM »

The Killing (1956) - 9/10
Too bad I knew the ending, but because there's some much more than just that one scene and because it's pretty evident that there's gonna be a tragic ending, it didn't matter that much.

Groggy
Bounty Killer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4919 on: December 05, 2008, 11:03:25 AM »

The Killing (1956) - 9/10
Too bad I knew the ending, but because there's some much more than just that one scene and because it's pretty evident that there's gonna be a tragic ending, it didn't matter that much.

I didn't like it overmuch, I thought it was a pretty banal heist film. What am I missing?

Pages: 1 ... 326 327 [328] 329 330 ... 1170 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM