Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 23, 2017, 02:58:43 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Other/Miscellaneous
| |-+  Off-Topic Discussion (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Rate The Last Movie You Saw
Pages: 1 ... 329 330 [331] 332 333 ... 1162 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Rate The Last Movie You Saw  (Read 1769886 times)
Groggy
Bounty Killer

This post gets Agnew's stamp of approval!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4950 on: December 09, 2008, 06:13:16 PM »

Australia - 9/10 - Rewatch, have a few more things to say about it in the appropriate thread.

Saturday nights with Groggy
PowerRR
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #4951 on: December 09, 2008, 06:35:36 PM »

Changeling - Another tearjerker from Eastwood. I give it 2\10 only because of the performance of the actor playing the murderer, who manages to make the character not repulsive. The beginning of the main theme, composed by Eastwood, is stolen from Que reste-t-il.   
Always delightful.

The Dark Knight - 9.5/10
The blu-ray is absolutely incredible.

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

View Profile
« Reply #4952 on: December 10, 2008, 05:39:14 AM »

Changeling - Another tearjerker from Eastwood. I give it 2\10 only because of the performance of the actor playing the murderer, who manages to make the character not repulsive. The beginning of the main theme, composed by Eastwood, is stolen from Que reste-t-il.   
I only watched the second half of this, but thought it was pure crap. Oooooh, the evil police captain! Oooooh, the evil police chief! They get what's coming to them!!! And Angelina is on hand to gloat!!!!!!! Filmed in Cretin-vision.

That's what you get, Drink, for getting out of bed this morning.
titoli
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #4953 on: December 10, 2008, 07:53:25 AM »

I only watched the second half of this, but thought it was pure crap. Oooooh, the evil police captain! Oooooh, the evil police chief! They get what's coming to them!!! And Angelina is on hand to gloat!!!!!!! Filmed in Cretin-vision.

Mystic River or $ 1,000.000 Babe are made of the same whorish stuff. And I'm afraid Il grande Torino follows suit. Give us back Sondra Locke!

Groggy
Bounty Killer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4954 on: December 10, 2008, 10:32:27 AM »

And you wonder why no one takes you seriously. Roll Eyes

The Firecracker
Bounty Killer

Rub me the wrong way, and I'll go off in your face

View Profile
« Reply #4955 on: December 10, 2008, 12:40:45 PM »

Mystic River or $ 1,000.000 Babe are made of the same whorish stuff. And I'm afraid Il grande Torino follows suit. Give us back Sondra Locke!

I'll agree to all that except Mystic River.
I saw it recently and thoroughly enjoyed it.
I would never believe the cops wouldn't think to check the 911 call before the case but I can forgive that bit of crap.

The Official COMIN' AT YA! re-release site
http://cominatyanoir3d.com/
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #4956 on: December 10, 2008, 01:03:24 PM »

Give us back Sondra Locke!
She was a bit annoying in her time, but I appreciate her more now.

moviesceleton
Bounty Killer

The glance that makes holes in the silver screen

View Profile
« Reply #4957 on: December 10, 2008, 01:32:59 PM »

Tasogare Seibei (2002) "The Twilight Samurai" - 8/10
I liked the subtle yet intense nature of it. Too bad the last minutes throw that out of the window...

"Once Upon a Time in America gets ten-minute ovation at Cannes"
Groggy
Bounty Killer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4958 on: December 10, 2008, 02:57:02 PM »

The Curse of the Cat People - 8/10 - Obviously it isn't a real horror film, but it's definitely one of the better psychodramas I've seen. Like the original, the movie succeeds largely because the characters are likeable and believable as humans and not just characters in a plot. The only problems I had are that Simone Simon is such a benign character in comparison to her tormented character in the original (I guess I can say she found peace in death) and the subplot with Julia Dean and Elizabeth Russell's character doesn't seem to add much to the story. On the whole though, very good and worth a look if you liked the original film.

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #4959 on: December 10, 2008, 04:43:57 PM »

The Curse of the Cat People - 8/10 - Obviously it isn't a real horror film, but it's definitely one of the better psychodramas I've seen. Like the original, the movie succeeds largely because the characters are likeable and believable as humans and not just characters in a plot. The only problems I had are that Simone Simon is such a benign character in comparison to her tormented character in the original (I guess I can say she found peace in death) and the subplot with Julia Dean and Elizabeth Russell's character doesn't seem to add much to the story. On the whole though, very good and worth a look if you liked the original film.
Not really a sequel, it seems to me. A different thing entirely, pleasant, but not particularly memorable. The first film is the one worth coming back to.

Groggy
Bounty Killer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4960 on: December 10, 2008, 09:28:57 PM »

High Noon - 7?/10 - Second viewing. I want to write a bit more than my standard paragraph so I'll try and track down the appropriate thread.

The Firecracker
Bounty Killer

Rub me the wrong way, and I'll go off in your face

View Profile
« Reply #4961 on: December 11, 2008, 07:25:02 PM »

Twilight
due to having many friends and a brother into the books

I would sit down and have a talk with your brother if I were you.

Kristen Stewart is ungodly attractive.

I didn't seem to think so in the theatre (something about the make up in this movie made the whole cast look terrible, with the exception of the chick that plays the bookish vampire with short hair) but watching her on Letterman made me think twice about it.
Yes, she is stunning.

The Official COMIN' AT YA! re-release site
http://cominatyanoir3d.com/
moviesceleton
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #4962 on: December 12, 2008, 02:15:22 AM »

Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind (2004) - 9/10
I don't think it needs/would stand a third viewing.

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #4963 on: December 12, 2008, 06:18:13 AM »

Then how can it get a "9"? To my way of thinking, a film that rates a "9" or a "10" should be re-watchable any number of times.

Anyway, on to my DVD-R noir selection:

The Locket (1946)- 8/10 Got this for Mitchum, but as it turns out, he isn't in all that much of it. No matter, the film is terrific. It has a wacky flashback within a flashback within a flashback structure that somebody like the Coens could have a lot of fun with. But the central performance, by Laraine Day, is a wonder to behold. I've never really liked her--although the only other role of hers I know is as the love interest in Hitchcock's Foreign Correspondent--but here she's just right as an apparent good girl who's actually a twisted schemer. As such, she joins the ranks of others of her ilk: Jane Greer in Out of the Past, Joan Fontaine in Born to be Bad, Olivia de Havilland in The Dark Mirror. I find this presentation of the femme fatale more interesting than the more obvious efforts supplied by the likes of Marie Windsor or Barbara Stanwyck, good as they are. Anyway, it's really a treat to watch Laraine Day lie, lie, lie and send a series of men to their destruction. Isn't that the very essence of so-called film noir? Too bad the film loses its nerve at the end and goes for an implausible happy ending. Up to that point, the film is hard edged and clean.

The Long Wait (1954) - 4/10. It's fun to see Anthony Quinn in an early starring role, but this film is just ridiculous. Not only has Quinn been in an accident that has caused him to lose his memory (how many time did they use that one?), not only has he returned to the mobbed-up town where he was falsely accused of bank robbery and murder, but also, he then learns, his old girlfriend has returned after having plastic surgery so no one can recognize her. Is she back to help the hero, or make him suffer more? And which one of the four attractive candidates is she? Pure hokum. Not that hokum can't be good, just that it takes a bit of invention. Why are the gangsters so stupid? We're supposed to believe they have the town in the palms of their hands, but they can't even kill a guy tied up in the trunk of their car. How did they make it to the top to begin with? These and other questions remained unanswered, but I stopped caring long before the final credits rolled.

moviesceleton
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #4964 on: December 12, 2008, 06:51:46 AM »

Then how can it get a "9"? To my way of thinking, a film that rates a "9" or a "10" should be re-watchable any number of times.
It was originally 10/10. Now it come down by one. I have a feeling that if I watched it again it would be 8/10. Stupid, I know.

Pages: 1 ... 329 330 [331] 332 333 ... 1162 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM