Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 18, 2017, 07:21:48 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Other/Miscellaneous
| |-+  Off-Topic Discussion (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Rate The Last Movie You Saw
Pages: 1 ... 343 344 [345] 346 347 ... 1161 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Rate The Last Movie You Saw  (Read 1760930 times)
noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5160 on: January 18, 2009, 07:00:12 PM »

Barton Fink - 8.99999999/10
One of the Coens' best.

Really? I got really bored while watching it... i also remember the feeling that the movie was very much like a movie done by some cohen's fans without the brothers' talent... Anyway, you're not the only one to have a better opinion since it won the Palme D'Or at the time.

New music video: ZOMBIE APOCALYPSE https://youtu.be/p968oyMo5B0
www.ThibautOskian.com
The Firecracker
Bounty Killer

Rub me the wrong way, and I'll go off in your face

View Profile
« Reply #5161 on: January 18, 2009, 07:03:52 PM »

Really? I got really bored while watching it... i also remember the feeling that the movie was very much like a movie done by some cohen's fans without the brothers' talent

^ Felt exactly the same.

Cue DJ to tell us how hilarious this film is and how we should get ourselves a sense of humor Roll Eyes

The Official COMIN' AT YA! re-release site
http://cominatyanoir3d.com/
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

View Profile
« Reply #5162 on: January 18, 2009, 07:32:26 PM »

Cue DJ to tell us how hilarious this film is and how we should get ourselves a sense of humor Roll Eyes
I laughed and laughed through this one. What's the problem with you people?

That's what you get, Drink, for lying in the middle of the road.
PowerRR
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #5163 on: January 18, 2009, 07:50:51 PM »

Well I didn't "laugh and laugh and laugh", but I was certainly humored. Not as funny as Lebowski, Razing Arizona, or Burn After Reading but certainly better than all of them.

Radio Days - 9/10
I never opened myself to Woody Allen too much but this is certainly my favorite thus far. I much prefer it to Manhattan and Annie Hall (and Oedipus Wrecks). Allen recommendations are welcome, especially more Radio Days-esque suggestions.

The Firecracker
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #5164 on: January 18, 2009, 07:54:15 PM »

Allen recommendations are welcome

Stardust Memories

It's pretty much a big "fuck you" to his fans...

Just as good as his older funnier movies Cheesy

noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5165 on: January 18, 2009, 08:31:17 PM »

Not as funny as Lebowski, Razing Arizona, or Burn After Reading but certainly better than all of them.

In what way? just curious.

www.ThibautOskian.com
PowerRR
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #5166 on: January 18, 2009, 09:04:59 PM »

In what way? just curious.
Much more interesting plot, intriguing characters and a very unique movie. The theory of Goodman as the devil is an interesting one as well.

noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5167 on: January 18, 2009, 09:27:35 PM »

Much more interesting plot, intriguing characters and a very unique movie. The theory of Goodman as the devil is an interesting one as well.

The only interesting character (to me) was Goodman's one (did i ever mentioned I saw John Goodman in my hotel when i was in LA a few years ago? i wonder how many pancakes the guy can eat in ONE breakfast)... Fink isn't really characterized (for he is "The Universal Writer", i guess), and it's always hard for me (when the main character isn't characterized), and many other one in the movie could have been great but they're not developped. Same for the dialogues: good ideas, but not worked enough. All in all it's just what i told before: cohen's spirit without cohen's talent.
May be the fact that most characters aren't really developped and stay "mysterious" is what you like when you say "intriguing characters"...?

EDIT: i think i agree with the Evil theory, it's the whole point of the movie IMO. But this makes a pretty thin plot...

« Last Edit: January 18, 2009, 09:29:08 PM by noodles_leone » Logged

www.ThibautOskian.com
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

View Profile
« Reply #5168 on: January 18, 2009, 11:33:25 PM »

Well the characters are, largely, based on actual Hollywood people, but satirized to the nth degree. Fink is fashioned after playwright/screenwriter Clifford Odets, the studio head is a composite of maybe Jack Warner and Daryl Zanuck, the novelist is kinda sorta supposed to be Faulkner, and so on. The viewer is expected to bring some knowledge of these characters to the film. Of course, the Coens are making fun of all these folks, so they've selected only the worst traits of each for display. They're taking the piss out of classic Hollywood in general, and Odets in particular. The film is largely about putting this pretentious scribbler through the wringer, and most of the fun to be had is in that--if that's to your taste. It's very mean-spirited, but then so is the hazing of Malvolio in Shakespeare's Twelfth Night. Anyway, we don't need very thoroughly developed characters for what the Coens are up to here, just as we don't require much depth in the characters who populate films like, say, Animal House.

Haven't come across the idea of John Goodman as the devil before, but such a reading isn't necessary. Fink needs to be scourged, to receive his comeupance, and it doesn't really matter from what party. It's not as if his character matters beyond his role as whipping boy.

That's what you get, Drink, for lying in the middle of the road.
ShortFuse
Gunslinger

View Profile
« Reply #5169 on: January 19, 2009, 02:15:29 AM »

Really? I got really bored while watching it... i also remember the feeling that the movie was very much like a movie done by some cohen's fans without the brothers' talent... Anyway, you're not the only one to have a better opinion since it won the Palme D'Or at the time.

Didn't Barton's script get adapted in that Mickey Rourke film?

ShortFuse
Gunslinger

View Profile
« Reply #5170 on: January 19, 2009, 02:17:42 AM »

The Legend of 1900. It made another fan of Tornatore.

Oh, and good movie  Afro

moviesceleton
Bounty Killer

The glance that makes holes in the silver screen

View Profile
« Reply #5171 on: January 19, 2009, 10:18:44 AM »

I think THE FOUNTAIN in years to come will be considered Aronofsky's materpiece. It's a film that's kind of ahead of it's time the way 2001 was for Kubrick. It's an incredibly unique piece of work.
Well, it's damn beautiful to look at, at least.

Radio Days - 9/10
I never opened myself to Woody Allen too much but this is certainly my favorite thus far. I much prefer it to Manhattan and Annie Hall (and Oedipus Wrecks). Allen recommendations are welcome, especially more Radio Days-esque suggestions.
I really liked this one too. There were some Allen movies on the telly lately so I watched a few. Broadway Danny Rose is good (even though it appears I gave it originally only 6/10), Zelig's too. Everything You Always Wanted to Know About Sex is funny too but it's a bit different.

"Once Upon a Time in America gets ten-minute ovation at Cannes"
Groggy
Bounty Killer

This post gets Agnew's stamp of approval!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5172 on: January 19, 2009, 08:17:24 PM »

Milk - 6/10 - See appropriate thread.

Saturday nights with Groggy
The Firecracker
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #5173 on: January 19, 2009, 11:07:06 PM »

"Slapduck Millionaire"
1/10

Garbage. Ugly, ugly garbage.

titoli
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #5174 on: January 20, 2009, 08:59:36 AM »

Road to Perdition - Honest thriller. Thoroughly predictable but well-made and well-scored. 7\10

Pages: 1 ... 343 344 [345] 346 347 ... 1161 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM