Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 20, 2017, 01:19:16 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Other/Miscellaneous
| |-+  Off-Topic Discussion (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Rate The Last Movie You Saw
Pages: 1 ... 351 352 [353] 354 355 ... 1162 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Rate The Last Movie You Saw  (Read 1763854 times)
Groggy
Bounty Killer

This post gets Agnew's stamp of approval!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5280 on: January 27, 2009, 10:43:23 PM »

Dead Reckoning - 7/10 - Another pleasurable, relaxing late night TCM viewing. Pretty good noir with fine performances by Humphrey Bogart and Lizabeth Scott, lots of expressionist photography, shady characters who aren't what they seem and extremely hard-boiled dialogue. Really awesome climax with Bogey and the napalm grenades too. Worth watching.

Saturday nights with Groggy
Groggy
Bounty Killer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5281 on: January 28, 2009, 07:57:32 PM »

Terminator 3: Rise of the Machines - 4/10 - Been years since I saw this but I remembered thinking it was okay. I caught this on AMC(?) tonight and it appears I was wrong. Assembly-line Hollywood junk of the highest-order. It's not completely terrible but it's so derivative and unoriginal that it ends up being near-boring. Arnold is the only reason to watch the film and even he's too busy parodying himself to be compelling in anyway. Claire Danes is tolerable but Nick Stahl is a blank slate; I preferred Edward Furlong, quite frankly. It's a Saturday morning cartoon compared to the first two films, which were excellent by their own standards. Really not looking forward to the fourth installment, BTW.

The Firecracker
Bounty Killer

Rub me the wrong way, and I'll go off in your face

View Profile
« Reply #5282 on: January 28, 2009, 09:39:53 PM »

Really not looking forward to the fourth installment, BTW.

Nor am I. Especially not with Batman in it.

The third is fun but doesn't achieve anything special as you say.
It's basically a remake of the first sequel but nowhere near as good.
The villain(ous) is very unoriginal. It's a hybrid of Arnold's terminator and the T-1000.

« Last Edit: January 28, 2009, 09:41:15 PM by The Firecracker » Logged

The Official COMIN' AT YA! re-release site
http://cominatyanoir3d.com/
moviesceleton
Bounty Killer

The glance that makes holes in the silver screen

View Profile
« Reply #5283 on: January 29, 2009, 02:14:12 AM »

Pushing Hands (1992) - 7/10

"Once Upon a Time in America gets ten-minute ovation at Cannes"
moviesceleton
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #5284 on: January 29, 2009, 01:19:02 PM »

Shadow of the Holy Book (2007) - 7/10
A documentary about Ruhnama, the holy book of Turkmenistan, and how translating it gave western companies access to the local building and other markets. Pretty shocking stuff, but Michael Moore has used this trying-to-get-in-contact-with-big-bosses-without-success approach to death. This is actually more like journalism than cinema but nevermind...

Groggy
Bounty Killer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5285 on: January 30, 2009, 02:15:47 PM »

The Mummy: Tomb of the Dragon Emperor - 2/10 - Godawful. My brother and I got about five minutes into the tedious prologue (which doesn't even bother explaining many key plot points that come up later) before we started doing an MST3K job on the film. Ridiculous, juvenile, relying on the cheapest special effects (like when Jet Li goes Cuckoo for Cocoa Puffs) and humor that a four year old wouldn't laugh at, it's not even entertaining in a dumb action way as the action scenes were shot in the most hideously ugly, frenetic and stupid manner possible (I was not overly surprised to learn that the director was the gentleman who gave us XXX and The Fast and the Furious). Full of absurd plot twists and ridiculous deus ex machina of the worst possible order, and Maria Bello was a poor replacement for Rachel Weisz (I did not for one second accept her as the same character from the first two movies). The film is set during post-WWII China, and our secondary bad guys are a gang of "paramiltary" troops, but all we hear of the Civil War that was going on are vague references to "chaos" and "factions" dividing the country. (And forgive me, but how is preventing Mao's coming to power a bad thing, exactly?) I liked the first movie and tolerated the second; they're about as fun as these kind of movies can get. This movie is just drek.

« Last Edit: January 30, 2009, 02:18:44 PM by Groggy » Logged

Whalestoe
« Reply #5286 on: January 30, 2009, 02:35:22 PM »

The Mummy: Tomb of the Dragon Emperor - 2/10 - Godawful. My brother and I got about five minutes into the tedious prologue (which doesn't even bother explaining many key plot points that come up later) before we started doing an MST3K job on the film. Ridiculous, juvenile, relying on the cheapest special effects (like when Jet Li goes Cuckoo for Cocoa Puffs) and humor that a four year old wouldn't laugh at, it's not even entertaining in a dumb action way as the action scenes were shot in the most hideously ugly, frenetic and stupid manner possible (I was not overly surprised to learn that the director was the gentleman who gave us XXX and The Fast and the Furious). Full of absurd plot twists and ridiculous deus ex machina of the worst possible order, and Maria Bello was a poor replacement for Rachel Weisz (I did not for one second accept her as the same character from the first two movies). The film is set during post-WWII China, and our secondary bad guys are a gang of "paramiltary" troops, but all we hear of the Civil War that was going on are vague references to "chaos" and "factions" dividing the country. (And forgive me, but how is preventing Mao's coming to power a bad thing, exactly?) I liked the first movie and tolerated the second; they're about as fun as these kind of movies can get. This movie is just drek.

Chairman Mao would PWN Jet Li. That's the only problem. Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy

« Last Edit: January 30, 2009, 02:38:49 PM by Whalestoe » Logged
titoli
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #5287 on: January 30, 2009, 03:52:17 PM »

The Sugarland Express - Spielberg's second (and second best) Movie. I remembered it was good but it is much better. 8\10. 

moviesceleton
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #5288 on: January 31, 2009, 03:00:20 AM »

The Wedding Banquet (1993) - 9/10
I can't understand how the same guy went to direct Hulk Huh

noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5289 on: January 31, 2009, 11:28:40 AM »

Snatch 7/10

Still very funny. The best scene is the hold up. Jason Statham is the worst actor of the (world?) movie.

New music video: ZOMBIE APOCALYPSE https://youtu.be/p968oyMo5B0
www.ThibautOskian.com
Groggy
Bounty Killer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5290 on: January 31, 2009, 07:20:13 PM »

27 Dresses - 4/10 - Extremely banal piece of romcom fluff. Katharine Heigl is cute though, it's a shame she's not appearing in better movies than she has been so far.

moviesceleton
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #5291 on: February 01, 2009, 01:50:27 AM »

Knife in the Water (1962) - 7/10

titoli
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #5292 on: February 01, 2009, 02:01:48 AM »

Frenzy - The funniest Hitchcock and one of his best. Don't like the score, though. 9\10.

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

View Profile
« Reply #5293 on: February 01, 2009, 09:50:16 AM »

Frenzy - The funniest Hitchcock and one of his best. Don't like the score, though. 9\10.
Funny, certainly, but funniest?  Are you watching this dubbed or subbed? I agree about the score.

That's what you get, Drink, for getting out of bed this morning.
Groggy
Bounty Killer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5294 on: February 01, 2009, 10:00:02 AM »

Funny, certainly, but funniest?  Are you watching this dubbed or subbed? I agree about the score.

What's funnier? Shadow of a Doubt maybe? Cheesy

Pages: 1 ... 351 352 [353] 354 355 ... 1162 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM