Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 17, 2017, 02:25:37 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Other/Miscellaneous
| |-+  Off-Topic Discussion (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Rate The Last Movie You Saw
Pages: 1 ... 353 354 [355] 356 357 ... 1170 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Rate The Last Movie You Saw  (Read 1842129 times)
titoli
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #5310 on: February 02, 2009, 03:01:04 PM »

The Rules of the Game (1939) - 7/10

I saw it in the early '80's and didn't like it so much. though I had big expectations considering all the hype about it being the best Renoir. But I'll give it another try if I find a cheap dvd.

Groggy
Bounty Killer

This post gets Agnew's stamp of approval!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5311 on: February 02, 2009, 05:58:35 PM »

Sabrina - 8/10 - 2nd viewing. There are a lot of odd flaws that don't really detract from the film: I still think Audrey and Holden should have gotten together, although I honestly don't have a problem with Bogart's casting - he holds up his end of the film well-enough. And I'm sorry, but Bill Holden just doesn't look right with that hideous blond dye job. Still, the movie held up to a second viewing: Audrey has never been lovelier and Wilder is at the top of his game as a writer and director. Perhaps a bit too fluffy but it does its job perfectly.

Saturday nights with Groggy
T.H.
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #5312 on: February 02, 2009, 08:51:23 PM »

I find nothing in this film of any interest whatsoever.

there aren't too may fans of Game, or so it seems, but it's the first movie (as far as my knowledge extends at least) that uses the, pardon the overused and annoying term, fly on the wall approach. I think it's brilliant, just as an observation of people being, well, people. I enjoyed watching virtually all the characters interact with another and it doesn't suffer from that stuffiness that plagues similar films. At the very least, we should thank Renoir for making Game because I don't know if movies like The Exterminating Angel, Nashville, La Dolce Vita, etc. would have been made.

Claudia, we need you to appear in LOST COMMAND. It's gonna revolutionize the war genre. What did you think of the script?
noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5313 on: February 02, 2009, 10:26:55 PM »

there aren't too may fans of Game, or so it seems, but it's the first movie (as far as my knowledge extends at least) that uses the, pardon the overused and annoying term, fly on the wall approach. I think it's brilliant, just as an observation of people being, well, people. I enjoyed watching virtually all the characters interact with another and it doesn't suffer from that stuffiness that plagues similar films. At the very least, we should thank Renoir for making Game because I don't know if movies like The Exterminating Angel, Nashville, La Dolce Vita, etc. would have been made.

It is considered as a masterpiece here in France. Not a "perfect" masterpiece, but still a masterpiece. You see in France there are two kinds of people. Those who prefer La Grande Illusion and those who prefer La Regle du Jeu (the rule of the game). The later are usually conscious of the flaws of the movie but consider it as more "personal" than the Great Illusion.
I actually love both, and even if I watch them no more than once every 5 years, I own both DVDs.

New music video: ZOMBIE APOCALYPSE https://youtu.be/p968oyMo5B0
www.ThibautOskian.com
Groggy
Bounty Killer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5314 on: February 02, 2009, 10:30:11 PM »

I think me and Jinkies are in the camp of people who aren't impressed with Grand Illusion either.

Groggy
Bounty Killer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5315 on: February 03, 2009, 10:29:45 AM »

Groundhog Day - 9/10 - I haven't the foggiest idea what viewing this is but this was on FX when I woke up so I watched it. Groundhog Day plus class cancelled? That's a good day in my book. Afro

T.H.
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #5316 on: February 03, 2009, 12:00:12 PM »

It is considered as a masterpiece here in France. Not a "perfect" masterpiece, but still a masterpiece. You see in France there are two kinds of people. Those who prefer La Grande Illusion and those who prefer La Regle du Jeu (the rule of the game). The later are usually conscious of the flaws of the movie but consider it as more "personal" than the Great Illusion.
I actually love both, and even if I watch them no more than once every 5 years, I own both DVDs.

There are very few movies I'd consider to be perfect. Game certainly isn't one of them, it's tremendous though. I'd be hesistant to label the movie as flawed because you can find flaws in virtually all movies. GI is great as well but is a bit draggy in the last half hour, after the soldier visits the woman (I think, haven't seen it in quite some time).

If ROTG is undoubtedly flawed than so is Once Upon a Time in America, which I consider an almost perfect film despite the plot holes caused from shortening the movie to 3 hours 50 minutes. I use America as an example because I think it's one of the greatest movies ever made but it's not exactly perfect.

Claudia, we need you to appear in LOST COMMAND. It's gonna revolutionize the war genre. What did you think of the script?
noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5317 on: February 03, 2009, 12:54:27 PM »

I think me and Jinkies are in the camp of people who aren't impressed with Grand Illusion either.

You're the third kind of people.

www.ThibautOskian.com
noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5318 on: February 03, 2009, 01:01:23 PM »

There are very few movies I'd consider to be perfect. Game certainly isn't one of them, it's tremendous though. I'd be hesistant to label the movie as flawed because you can find flaws in virtually all movies. GI is great as well but is a bit draggy in the last half hour, after the soldier visits the woman (I think, haven't seen it in quite some time).

If ROTG is undoubtedly flawed than so is Once Upon a Time in America, which I consider an almost perfect film despite the plot holes caused from shortening the movie to 3 hours 50 minutes. I use America as an example because I think it's one of the greatest movies ever made but it's not exactly perfect.

OUATIA is of course flawed (which makes it a "non perfect" film in my book). OUATITW and GBU are the most "perfect" movies i can think of. Citizen Kane, Goodfellas, The Departed (appart from the 20 first minutes), and Zodiac have good reasons to pretend for the title.

Once Upon A Time In America - 11/10
Saw it yesterday evening... i haven't any single thing to add to what has already been told about the Best Movie Ever. I also watched the begining of the audio commentary by schiekel for the first time. The guys doesn't say anything stupid, but nothing new either. I knew he agrees with the dream theory, but i wouldn't hink he would have talked about it that much on the commentary. Does it become really interesting (for a member of this forum) after a while?

« Last Edit: February 03, 2009, 01:08:46 PM by noodles_leone » Logged

www.ThibautOskian.com
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

View Profile
« Reply #5319 on: February 03, 2009, 01:22:29 PM »

I'm yer huckleberry (at least on this).

On Rules, I quite understand what Renoir was getting at, the fly-on-the-wall approach, as you say, T_H. I just don't buy any of the characters. They're all types rather than individuals.

Renoir made some good films earlier, his proto-noirs, back when he was still content to present characters rather than messages.

That's what you get, Drink, for being such an annoying Melville fanboy.
titoli
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #5320 on: February 03, 2009, 01:29:06 PM »

The only thing I could stand, for a few minutes, of La grande illusion is Stroheim. The rest is twoppence melo.
My favourite Renoir are Boudu, La carrosse d'or and Cordelier.

moviesceleton
Bounty Killer

The glance that makes holes in the silver screen

View Profile
« Reply #5321 on: February 03, 2009, 02:35:56 PM »

Revolutionary Road (2008) - 8/10

The Fall (2006) - 10/10
Fucking ay! Further praise to come in the appropriate thread (if there isn't one I'll create it).

"Once Upon a Time in America gets ten-minute ovation at Cannes"
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

View Profile
« Reply #5322 on: February 03, 2009, 06:29:38 PM »

My favourite Renoir are Boudu, La carrosse d'or and Cordelier.
For me, the very amusing Les bas-fond, the nicely twisted La bete humaine (which includes some authentic railroading). I haven't seen La Chienne, but since I like the Lang remake so much, I'm sure the original must be worth something.

That's what you get, Drink, for being such an annoying Melville fanboy.
Atlas2112
Bounty Killer

formerly Gay Patrick Stewart

View Profile
« Reply #5323 on: February 03, 2009, 07:11:12 PM »

The Fall (2006) - 10/10
Fucking ay! Further praise to come in the appropriate thread (if there isn't one I'll create it).
great movie, i was very fortunate to have seen in in theaters. Theres already a thread on this but it'll probably be tough to find so you might have to make another thread

noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5324 on: February 03, 2009, 09:18:57 PM »

Once Upon A Time In America - 11/10
Saw it yesterday evening... i haven't any single thing to add to what has already been told about the Best Movie Ever. I also watched the begining of the audio commentary by schiekel for the first time. The guys doesn't say anything stupid, but nothing new either. I knew he agrees with the dream theory, but i wouldn't hink he would have talked about it that much on the commentary. Does it become really interesting (for a member of this forum) after a while?

Nobody answered... i'm wondering weither i should watch this until the end or not right now.
(i'm talking about the commentary not the movie Smiley )

www.ThibautOskian.com
Pages: 1 ... 353 354 [355] 356 357 ... 1170 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM