Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 23, 2017, 12:00:46 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Other/Miscellaneous
| |-+  Off-Topic Discussion (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Rate The Last Movie You Saw
Pages: 1 ... 355 356 [357] 358 359 ... 1162 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Rate The Last Movie You Saw  (Read 1768864 times)
PowerRR
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #5340 on: February 08, 2009, 05:08:23 PM »

Lonely are the Brave - 8/10
Stripping it down to the plot, it's virtually nothing. It's Douglas' character and the themes of nature vs. machine which make it fascinating.

Groggy
Bounty Killer

This post gets Agnew's stamp of approval!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5341 on: February 08, 2009, 06:15:33 PM »

Reservoir Dogs - 7/10 - Well, I've finally seen a Tarantino film. This about lived up to my expectations: entertaining but nothing overly special. Well-directed, good if unspectacular acting, well-written screenplay (though no really great lines), but it had a cold and distant feel and it was hard to get really involved in the story. So, yeah.

Saturday nights with Groggy
Groggy
Bounty Killer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5342 on: February 08, 2009, 06:48:14 PM »

"Nobody's perfect!" is one of the greatest lines ever......
I agree about the structural problem with the useless 20 first minutes. Unemployment would be sufficient to convince the two main charcaters, we don't need to jeopardize the whole script just to have a "spectacular" action scene at the begining...

If the bootlegging subplot had any real bearing on the plot I wouldn't mind it, but as it is, it's just atmosphere.

Groggy
Bounty Killer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5343 on: February 08, 2009, 11:51:48 PM »

Marty - 8/10 - This movie succeeds almost entirely on the strength of Ernest Borgnine's performance. The supporting cast is just okay and most of the scenes without Borgnine are draggy and digressive, but Borgnine gives an extremely compelling performance, way more subtle and sympathetic than in most of his other roles, playing a character all too relatable to me. Really touching and believable, even if the dramaturgy is a bit predictable.

moviesceleton
Bounty Killer

The glance that makes holes in the silver screen

View Profile
« Reply #5344 on: February 09, 2009, 01:58:49 AM »

Reservoir Dogs - 7/10 - Well, I've finally seen a Tarantino film. This about lived up to my expectations: entertaining but nothing overly special. Well-directed, good if unspectacular acting, well-written screenplay (though no really great lines), but it had a cold and distant feel and it was hard to get really involved in the story. So, yeah.
I gotta disagree. The great lines are half of the movie.

"Once Upon a Time in America gets ten-minute ovation at Cannes"
noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5345 on: February 09, 2009, 08:00:05 AM »

"I don't tip."
"Why?"
"I don't believe in it."
 Grin Grin Grin

"He doesn't tip."
"Why?"
"He doesn't believe in it."
"Shut up. What do you mean, you don't believe in tiping?"
 Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin

« Last Edit: February 09, 2009, 03:01:28 PM by noodles_leone » Logged

New music video: ZOMBIE APOCALYPSE https://youtu.be/p968oyMo5B0
www.ThibautOskian.com
moviesceleton
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #5346 on: February 09, 2009, 08:35:30 AM »

"I don't tip."
"Why?"
"I don't believe in it."
 Grin Grin Grin

"He doesn't tip."
"Why?"
"He doesn't believe in it."
"Shut up. You don't believe in tiping?"
 Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin
Grin Grin Grin What's best, he actually has a point Afro

"Toby? Toby Wong. Toby Wong? Toby Wong. Toby Chung? Fucking Charlie Chan. I got Madonna's big dick coming out of my left ear, and Toby the Jap... I don't know what - comin' out of my right."

OK, we could turn this into a major quote-fest but lets drop it here Grin

noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5347 on: February 09, 2009, 09:12:21 AM »

Grin

You're right.

"Everything went so fast I almost had a heart attack... I'll bet you're a big lee marvin fan."  Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy
I actually played Mister Blond in a little play i directed a year and a half ago. It went from the moment of the poster (orange and white pointing at each other with guns) until we go to the car to see the "surprize". We did it in french (we translated ourself instead of using the french version of the movie), and we had a lot of fun  Cheesy

www.ThibautOskian.com
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

View Profile
« Reply #5348 on: February 09, 2009, 11:16:05 AM »

My favorite bit in the movie is the telling of "the story," the fabricated event Tim Roth uses to get in good with the gangsters. First there's Roth doing a read through, then once he's memorized the lines, a proper rehearsal, then an actual performance. But QT doesn't stop there, taking advantage of cinema's meta-theatrical possibilities: he shows us the story in "flashback" while Roth continues to narrate it, and finally we witness Roth narrating the story from within the flashback. As a bit of bravura filmmaking this tickles me, but the set piece also had a thematic purpose, having to do with the importance of storytelling, the way people--even gangsters--bond in this way. Most of the men in the film are storytellers, and from scene to scene, we see them laying yarns on each other. Tarantino himself, of course, is spinning the biggest one, one he stole (if we are to believe it) from Ringo Lam.

That's what you get, Drink, for getting out of bed this morning.
moviesceleton
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #5349 on: February 09, 2009, 11:44:35 AM »

The People vs. Larry Flynt (1996) - 7/10
It's not a masterpiece but feels very short for a 129-min movie (that's compliment if I didn't make myself clear). At first I thought Courtney Love was a miscast but then the drug addiction kicked in and she was just perfect. Woody Harrelson is hilarious.

The Firecracker
Bounty Killer

Rub me the wrong way, and I'll go off in your face

View Profile
« Reply #5350 on: February 09, 2009, 11:59:57 AM »

from Ringo Lam.

I don't know about the entirety of City On Fire (as I haven't seen it) but the climax to RD shares much more than just a passing resemblance to RL's movie.

The Official COMIN' AT YA! re-release site
http://cominatyanoir3d.com/
T.H.
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #5351 on: February 09, 2009, 12:28:42 PM »

I don't know about the entirety of City On Fire (as I haven't seen it) but the climax to RD shares much more than just a passing resemblance to RL's movie.

RD only rips the last 15-20 mins of city on fire, which is worth seeing, it's a good HK crime movie. He should have given RL some appreciation or credit of some sort but he obviously didn't. They are two very different movies but it's a bit more than inspiration. Kurosawa sued Leone and won, I wonder why there wasn't a suit.

Claudia, we need you to appear in LOST COMMAND. It's gonna revolutionize the war genre. What did you think of the script?
noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5352 on: February 09, 2009, 01:44:04 PM »

First there's Roth doing a read through, then once he's memorized the lines, a proper rehearsal, then an actual performance. But QT doesn't stop there, taking advantage of cinema's meta-theatrical possibilities: he shows us the story in "flashback" while Roth continues to narrate it, and finally we witness Roth narrating the story from within the flashback. As a bit of bravura filmmaking this tickles me, but the set piece also had a thematic purpose, having to do with the importance of storytelling, the way people--even gangsters--bond in this way. Most of the men in the film are storytellers, and from scene to scene, we see them laying yarns on each other. Tarantino himself, of course, is spinning the biggest one, one he stole (if we are to believe it) from Ringo Lam.

Same here. Although it's not my favorit bit (my fav beeing blond's first big scene).
A theme that we can also find in Pulp Fiction, but the fact that nobody in the film talks about telling story leads it to be a minor point, in Pulp.

www.ThibautOskian.com
Groggy
Bounty Killer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5353 on: February 09, 2009, 01:50:33 PM »

Citizen Kane - 8/10 - 2nd viewing. The first viewing, I enjoyed the film but it left me a bit cold. This time, however, I was really impressed by and taken with the film's artistry; the cinematography is obviously innovative, but it's also magnificently done. The editing and art direction also stagger description; it's easy to see how revolutionary a film this was in its day, and on these terms it really hasn't aged at all. The film's character study, not only who it's about but the way it treats him, is something extraordinary as well. its I feel like writing something about this for my blog although I know I won't have anything new to say. I'm not sure if I want to up my star rating, which is arbitrary anyway, but I got a lot more out of this viewing than the first and I'm glad I decided to procrastinate on homework for the sake of watching it. Cheesy

« Last Edit: February 09, 2009, 01:52:55 PM by Groggy » Logged

The Firecracker
Bounty Killer

Rub me the wrong way, and I'll go off in your face

View Profile
« Reply #5354 on: February 09, 2009, 02:15:50 PM »

Citizen Kane - 8/10 - 2nd viewing. The first viewing, I enjoyed the film but it left me a bit cold. This time, however, I was really impressed by and taken with the film's artistry; the cinematography is obviously innovative, but it's also magnificently done. The editing and art direction also stagger description; it's easy to see how revolutionary a film this was in its day, and on these terms it really hasn't aged at all. The film's character study, not only who it's about but the way it treats him, is something extraordinary as well. its I feel like writing something about this for my blog although I know I won't have anything new to say. I'm not sure if I want to up my star rating, which is arbitrary anyway, but I got a lot more out of this viewing than the first and I'm glad I decided to procrastinate on homework for the sake of watching it. Cheesy

Your experience was the same as mine.
CK is a film that gets better with each viewing.

The Official COMIN' AT YA! re-release site
http://cominatyanoir3d.com/
Pages: 1 ... 355 356 [357] 358 359 ... 1162 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM