Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 19, 2017, 01:07:26 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Other/Miscellaneous
| |-+  Off-Topic Discussion (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Rate The Last Movie You Saw
Pages: 1 ... 356 357 [358] 359 360 ... 1162 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Rate The Last Movie You Saw  (Read 1762319 times)
Tuco the ugly
« Reply #5355 on: February 09, 2009, 05:50:55 PM »

Reservoir Dogs - 7/10 - Well, I've finally seen a Tarantino film. This about lived up to my expectations: entertaining but nothing overly special. Well-directed, good if unspectacular acting, well-written screenplay (though no really great lines), but it had a cold and distant feel and it was hard to get really involved in the story. So, yeah.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d880h1pKHsA

noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5356 on: February 09, 2009, 07:26:19 PM »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gj13ugh5FYw&feature=related
(Pulp)

New music video: ZOMBIE APOCALYPSE https://youtu.be/p968oyMo5B0
www.ThibautOskian.com
moviesceleton
Bounty Killer

The glance that makes holes in the silver screen

View Profile
« Reply #5357 on: February 10, 2009, 06:04:38 AM »

The Colour of Magic (2008) - 4/10
I don't know what's the deal here; they say they're gonna show a second part next week but as far as I know there is no such thing Huh Well, anyway... I knew Pratchett's book was totally unfilmable but on the other hand The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy was supposed to be unfilmable too and it turned out OK so I gave this a chance. First of all the overall look is just cheap (it is a made-for-TV-movie) and secondly everything looks just wrong. David Jason is not Rincewind in my opinion. Third, the story is just ridiculous, which I didn't mind so much in the book since it was a minor portion of the whole text. This could have worked better as an animation but it still has a few good points as it is (a major one being that I now know who to pronounce Rincewind).

"Once Upon a Time in America gets ten-minute ovation at Cannes"
moviesceleton
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #5358 on: February 10, 2009, 01:02:26 PM »

Ostre sledované vlaky (1966) "Closely Observed Trains" - 8/10
I found the whole Nazi occupation/WWII theme far less interesting than the young man's struggle with his relationship to women. There are some wonderful scenes and almost the whole second half an hour is excellent.  Afro

Tuco the ugly
« Reply #5359 on: February 10, 2009, 01:10:09 PM »

Then you should like this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1s8nRL2bPCU

(What am I saying, I know you do.)

noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5360 on: February 10, 2009, 02:35:23 PM »

I like it. I think it is the most inspiring clip ever.

New music video: ZOMBIE APOCALYPSE https://youtu.be/p968oyMo5B0
www.ThibautOskian.com
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

View Profile
« Reply #5361 on: February 10, 2009, 06:02:55 PM »

Gumshoe (1971)- 6/10. Amusing but not compelling. Albert Finney, always good, is a Liverpudlian who wants to be an American PI. There's some plot about selling guns to Zaire or something, and Finney's crooked brother (Frank Finley) is involved. Finney is also in love with his sister-in-law, played by Billie Whitelaw. It's British Kitchen Sink meets Dashiell Hammett, and it's confusing as hell.

That's what you get, Drink, for getting out of bed this morning.
Groggy
Bounty Killer

This post gets Agnew's stamp of approval!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5362 on: February 11, 2009, 09:00:39 PM »

Mean Girls - 5/10 - Oddly enough we had to watch this for an extracurricular seminar on leadership, so... Sad This movie has some interesting ideas but for the most part falls into the usual traps and cliches of telling a story about high school and popularity and all that jazz. And it's about realistic a depiction as the rest of them, which is to say, it has as much to do with real life as Star Wars or Slumdog Millionaire, except not nearly as entertaining.

Saturday nights with Groggy
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #5363 on: February 12, 2009, 04:34:43 AM »

Payday (1973) Rip Torn plays a country music singer on the road in a very cynical look at one side of the Country Music business. It kept me interested 7.5/10.

« Last Edit: February 12, 2009, 04:35:44 AM by cigar joe » Logged

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
moviesceleton
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #5364 on: February 13, 2009, 12:21:12 PM »

Sauna (2008) - 6.5/10
"A Finnish horror movie." Sounds like shit, doesn't it? The thing is that it's not all that "Finnish" except what comes to the language, of course. It isn't even that much about sauna. The movie looks like a (smallbudget) Hollywood movie and that's why, I think, AJ Annila is going to Hollywood. But it's not your typical horror movie, it's more like a character study, the theme being guilt. What bugs me but probably not foreign viewers is the historical inaccuracy. I tried to tell myself that it isn't supposed to be a history lesson but  when strange things happen in our own country it's very different than if they happened in some distant imaginary land, like America. And the language is way too modern. I can recommend this to anybody who is interested in horror movies and can read subtitles. I have a feeling that foreigners would enjoy this more than I did. The trailer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=si8IqpZc8Fo

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

View Profile
« Reply #5365 on: February 13, 2009, 10:21:27 PM »

Yokiro/The Geisha (1983) - 7/10. AnimEigo is doing a fine job of bringing out second-tier Japanese films, including lesser known samurai and Yakuza pictures. Last year they released Hideo Gosha's The Wolves, and now they follow-up with this, Gosha's attempt at combining a weepie with an action picture. I'm actually surprised at how well the two genres are integrated; but at 144 minutes I did become a little impatient waiting for the final reckoning. Also, 80s Japanese films have the unpleasant aroma of television about them. Still, this film is well plotted (from a novel), with a large cast of beautiful women, as well as Ogata Ken at his bad-ass best.

That's what you get, Drink, for getting out of bed this morning.
ShortFuse
Gunslinger

View Profile
« Reply #5366 on: February 13, 2009, 11:36:10 PM »

On The Waterfront- Good movie Afro

I always hear that this was one of Brando's greatest performances, and arguably his best. What struck me was how superb the supporting cast was. Eva Marie Saint's charming debut, Lee J. Cobb, Karl Munden and Rod Steiger provided the best supporting cast I have ever seen to such an oustanding lead by Brando.

Last Tango in Paris, another good movie, but flawed. There really was no plot, but Brando pulled his best peformance since On The Waterfront, and his last great peformance before he apparently loses his mind and threw his gift down the drain. Sure he had some impressive peformances, including his final film with De Niro but Last Tango was Brando's swan song to a great talent until he became no more than a "what the fuck is he thinking?" kind of guy. Or simply, before he got fat.

Groggy
Bounty Killer

This post gets Agnew's stamp of approval!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5367 on: February 13, 2009, 11:49:00 PM »

I definitely agree with you on On the Waterfront and its cast. Cobb is a pretty typical tough guy, but Saint and Malden are both brilliant. Not to mention Rod Steiger in perhaps his very best performance.

Saturday nights with Groggy
moviesceleton
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #5368 on: February 14, 2009, 01:53:06 PM »

Glengarry Glen Ross (1992) - 9/10
A bunch of worldclass actors and some of the best dialogue ever written, what more could you possibly ask for?

« Last Edit: February 14, 2009, 02:15:08 PM by moviesceleton » Logged

Kurug3n
Bounty Killer

Que pasa?

View Profile
« Reply #5369 on: February 14, 2009, 02:06:25 PM »

Death Wish 3- full of win

Man on Fire- favorite denzel washington movie

Pages: 1 ... 356 357 [358] 359 360 ... 1162 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: