Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 22, 2017, 06:51:35 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Other/Miscellaneous
| |-+  Off-Topic Discussion (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Rate The Last Movie You Saw
Pages: 1 ... 358 359 [360] 361 362 ... 1162 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Rate The Last Movie You Saw  (Read 1768516 times)
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

View Profile
« Reply #5385 on: February 18, 2009, 11:16:55 AM »

The Great Gatsby - 7.5/10
Which one? 1926? 1949? 1958? 1974? 2000? Without the year discriminator, your assessment is meaningless.

That's what you get, Drink, for getting out of bed this morning.
T.H.
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #5386 on: February 18, 2009, 11:27:39 AM »

That's why I couldn't give it a full ten. I think the fact that the last half of the movie is set in the same room makes it rather uncinematic, but the staginess doesn't bother me that much because we get all that great dialogue delivered by all those great actors. It's just a pleasure to watch but I couldn't help thinking at some point that "this is a bit stagy". So it's no biggie but the movie isn't perfect enough to gain 10/10.

How would GGR benefit from ditching its clautrophobic tone? To me, that pent up tension is what makes the movie so special. Stage adaptations have their place in cinema; Secret Honor is a flat out masterpiece that features one character in one setting for 90 mins.

Claudia, we need you to appear in LOST COMMAND. It's gonna revolutionize the war genre. What did you think of the script?
PowerRR
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #5387 on: February 18, 2009, 11:34:12 AM »

Which one? 1926? 1949? 1958? 1974? 2000? Without the year discriminator, your assessment is meaningless.

Whats the best one you think?

moviesceleton
Bounty Killer

The glance that makes holes in the silver screen

View Profile
« Reply #5388 on: February 18, 2009, 12:50:19 PM »

How would GGR benefit from ditching its clautrophobic tone? To me, that pent up tension is what makes the movie so special. Stage adaptations have their place in cinema; Secret Honor is a flat out masterpiece that features one character in one setting for 90 mins.
It didn't create any kind of claustrophobic atmosphere in my opinion. Smiley

Cul-de-sac (1966) - 7.5/10
I hate it when somebody asks this but could somebody tell me what the hell is this movie about? i.e. what's the "meaning"? Something similar to Knife in the Water?

"Once Upon a Time in America gets ten-minute ovation at Cannes"
Groggy
Bounty Killer

This post gets Agnew's stamp of approval!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5389 on: February 18, 2009, 03:01:45 PM »

Ninochka - 8/10 - Finally, we watch a sound film in film class! And something worthwhile to boot. Very good comedy - the film where "Garbo Laughs" - definitely benefits from being scripted in part by Billy Wilder - it has the same combination of clownish bufoonery and caustic satire that mark his best directoral work. And Garbo is just wonderful.

Saturday nights with Groggy
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #5390 on: February 18, 2009, 03:46:26 PM »

Melvyn Douglas is a bit of a lump though, what?

Groggy
Bounty Killer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5391 on: February 18, 2009, 03:47:51 PM »

Melvyn Douglas is a bit of a lump though, what?

I liked him.

The Firecracker
Bounty Killer

Rub me the wrong way, and I'll go off in your face

View Profile
« Reply #5392 on: February 18, 2009, 05:41:53 PM »

How would GGR benefit from ditching its clautrophobic tone? To me, that pent up tension is what makes the movie so special.

^ Word.

The Official COMIN' AT YA! re-release site
http://cominatyanoir3d.com/
PowerRR
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #5393 on: February 18, 2009, 07:44:27 PM »

Cinema Paradiso: The Director's Cut - 0/10
Good lord let me forget that last hour...please don't let me knowing all that gay shit alter the masterpiece of theatrical cut

Groggy
Bounty Killer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5394 on: February 18, 2009, 10:05:56 PM »

The Caine Mutiny - 8/10 - 2nd viewing.

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #5395 on: February 19, 2009, 11:17:10 PM »

The Caine Mutiny - 8/10 - 2nd viewing.
You know, until I'd actually seen this, I was under the impression the film was a lot less interesting than it actually is. From clips and whatnot I'd fashioned the notion that it was about a nut-job Captain whose crew mutinies out of necessity, who are later exonerated by the board of inquiry/court martial that investigates the incident. Because of the Captain's years of service and Navy tradition etc. the inquiry is going his way until--just when it's needed!--he breaks down on the stand. Thus the audience is taught that following the orders of a crazy person, even when that person is a crazy person in authority, is a bad idea. Then everyone--I had imagined--would sing a couple of verses of "Kumbaya" and go home. A wonderfully uplifting entertainment experience for the whole family.

In fact, the film is more nuanced and is largely about something else entirely. I came across the following summation on a blog just yesterday. It's actually about the novel rather than the film,  but I think this aspect of the novel does survive in the film.
The whole point of the book, revealed in the end, was that [Queeg] was competent and qualified, but that years of combat, and the stress of combat command had unhinged him mentally. The actions of the Fred MacMurry character used this (for his own agrandizement) to set the rest of the officers against him, when they should have been sympathetic and helped him. The Captain reached out to them for support, realizing his mental state was tenuous, but they turned their backs on him. This is what pushed the Captain over the edge. It was the disloyalty of the officers that endangered the ship by exaserbating the Captainís mental problems.
The payoff in the final scene works well, with MacMurry getting the drink flung in his face and all that. Could MacMurry play a snake, or what? Growing up I knew him only as the kindly father on "My Three Sons": I had no idea he'd done those roles in Double Indemnity, The Caine Mutiny, and The Apartment. Magnificent.

Groggy
Bounty Killer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5396 on: February 19, 2009, 11:46:50 PM »

I haven't read the novel (shocker), but I did read the stage adaptation before I saw the film. I missed it the first time around, that Keefer is the real bad guy. The movie does a great job of drawing Queeg as being a sympathetic character, but it's done subtlely enough not to be obvious.

Other than the superfluous romance subplot this is an excellent, near-flawless movie. The only question I have left, is why did Tom Tully get an Oscar nod for his worthless part while Jose Ferrer, Fred Macmurray and Van Johnson were completely overlooked? Hell, even EG Marshall had more screen time and a better performance than Tully.

moviesceleton
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #5397 on: February 20, 2009, 02:16:03 AM »

Dangerous Liaisons (1988) - 7/10
A solid melodrama but nothing more.

Whalestoe
« Reply #5398 on: February 20, 2009, 03:33:17 AM »

JCVD - 8/10

Yes. A movie with fucking Jean-Claude Van Damme and it was great. Afro

moviesceleton
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #5399 on: February 20, 2009, 12:05:02 PM »

Julius Caesar (1953) - 6.5/10
Jesus H. Christ, why is it always* necessary to keep the original dialogue in Shakespeare adaptations?! The story is great but the execution is not. The overall pattern here seemed to be: good scene, bad scene, good scene, bad scene... I preferred Rome, the TV series.

*And I don't if that's the case, probably not. 

Pages: 1 ... 358 359 [360] 361 362 ... 1162 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM