Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 22, 2017, 07:33:49 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Other/Miscellaneous
| |-+  Off-Topic Discussion (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Rate The Last Movie You Saw
Pages: 1 ... 359 360 [361] 362 363 ... 1162 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Rate The Last Movie You Saw  (Read 1767740 times)
PowerRR
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #5400 on: February 20, 2009, 12:14:26 PM »

Julius Caesar (1953) - 6.5/10
Jesus H. Christ, why is it always* necessary to keep the original dialogue in Shakespeare adaptations?! The story is great but the execution is not. The overall pattern here seemed to be: good scene, bad scene, good scene, bad scene... I preferred Rome, the TV series.

*And I don't if that's the case, probably not. 
I liked it, Brando provided one of the only believable Shakespeare performances ever.

T.H.
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #5401 on: February 20, 2009, 12:37:57 PM »

Other than the superfluous romance subplot this is an excellent, near-flawless movie.

You know, until I'd actually seen this, I was under the impression the film was a lot less interesting than it actually is. From clips and whatnot I'd fashioned the notion that it was about a nut-job Captain whose crew mutinies out of necessity, who are later exonerated by the board of inquiry/court martial that investigates the incident. Because of the Captain's years of service and Navy tradition etc. the inquiry is going his way until--just when it's needed!--he breaks down on the stand. Thus the audience is taught that following the orders of a crazy person, even when that person is a crazy person in authority, is a bad idea. Then everyone--I had imagined--would sing a couple of verses of "Kumbaya" and go home. A wonderfully uplifting entertainment experience for the whole family.

In fact, the film is more nuanced and is largely about something else entirely. I came across the following summation on a blog just yesterday. It's actually about the novel rather than the film,  but I think this aspect of the novel does survive in the film.The payoff in the final scene works well, with MacMurry getting the drink flung in his face and all that. Could MacMurry play a snake, or what? Growing up I knew him only as the kindly father on "My Three Sons": I had no idea he'd done those roles in Double Indemnity, The Caine Mutiny, and The Apartment. Magnificent.

I completely agree with these posts. All I really have to add to the conversation is that MacMurray and Bogart are argably at their best.

Claudia, we need you to appear in LOST COMMAND. It's gonna revolutionize the war genre. What did you think of the script?
Groggy
Bounty Killer

This post gets Agnew's stamp of approval!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5402 on: February 20, 2009, 12:57:56 PM »

I haven't been impressed with Macmurray in most of what I've seen him - particularly his stump-like performance in Double Indemnity - but he's really quite something in this film.

Saturday nights with Groggy
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

View Profile
« Reply #5403 on: February 20, 2009, 01:43:49 PM »

Julius Caesar (1953) - 6.5/10
Jesus H. Christ, why is it always* necessary to keep the original dialogue in Shakespeare adaptations?! The story is great but the execution is not. The overall pattern here seemed to be: good scene, bad scene, good scene, bad scene... I preferred Rome, the TV series.
The problem is with the actors. Gielgud, Mason, and Brando can declaim Shakespeare with authority; Louis Calhern and Edmund O'Brien cannot. Thus the alternating bad-scene, good-scene pattern. (And Shakespeare without Shakespeare's language isn't worth anything at all).

That's what you get, Drink, for getting out of bed this morning.
Groggy
Bounty Killer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5404 on: February 20, 2009, 02:05:38 PM »

I don't mind alterations or reductions of Shakespeare at all; I'd rather watch something like O or Zeffirelli's adaptations than Branagh's four hour Hamlet. (Of course, Branagh's never been above odd-ball casting either - keep in mind Much Ado About Nothing with Denzel Washington and Keanu Reeves.) One doesn't need to keep the language to keep the spirit of the play, although the list of obnoxious teen movies claiming lineage from Shakespeare is pretty ridiculous and laughable.

« Last Edit: February 20, 2009, 02:06:39 PM by Groggy » Logged

Groggy
Bounty Killer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5405 on: February 20, 2009, 08:13:30 PM »

A High Wind in Jamaica - 5/10 - A huge disappointment. I'd heard a lot of good to great reviews of this film from reputable sources (notably DVD Savant), plus was intrigued by a) the prospect of Anthony Quinn and James Coburn as pirates and b) the film's supposed inspiration for The Wind and the Lion (both films feature Deborah Baxter, a lovely young actress who hasn't appeared in anything else to my knowledge). Well, the movie starts out okay but it never really picks up; the movie is basically 100 minutes of the kidnapped kids doing wacky stuff, Anthony Quinn reacting, and James Coburn reacting (disapprovingly) to Quinn's reacting. The pirates are goofy, friendly cartoons that make Jack Sparrow and friends look like The Wild Bunch. Quinn and Coburn are completely one-note which is a shame because as cutthroat brigands they could have been something special (Quinn does have a few nice moments with Baxter but Coburn does little more than scowl and whine). A nice supporting cast - including Denis Price, Nigel Davenport, Lila Kedrova and Gert Frobe - is assembled and completely wasted. The kid actors are okay and at least manage to avoid being annoying. The location photography is gorgeous but the movie's lack of anything resembling action is inexplicable since it's, you know, a pirate movie. (Violence wasn't a concern as several of the kids die in decidedly nasty ways.) I can see some parallels with The Wind and the Lion but they're tertiary at best (disregarding all else, at least that movie had two children instead of ten). All that and my DVD was really crappy too, smeared and/or scratched and it froze at several points; I may have to ask a refund.

« Last Edit: February 20, 2009, 08:19:53 PM by Groggy » Logged

PowerRR
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #5406 on: February 20, 2009, 08:35:03 PM »

Catch Me if You Can (2002) - 7.5/10
Leo is great, Walken is greater, Hanks is not good... as usual. Still a very entertaining Hitchcockian thriller/drama from Spielberg.

A Tree Grows in Brooklyn (1945) - 7/10
Kazan's debut is a well-told story, though after the death of the father it begins to drag. And the way the death was handled was just...awkward and abrupt. Very good child performance from whoever that girl is though.

moviesceleton
Bounty Killer

The glance that makes holes in the silver screen

View Profile
« Reply #5407 on: February 21, 2009, 01:08:06 AM »

Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas (1998)
I really can't rate this. Depp's performance is great and gave me laughs, and the overall style is certainly not boring. But ... WTF?

"Once Upon a Time in America gets ten-minute ovation at Cannes"
ShortFuse
Gunslinger

View Profile
« Reply #5408 on: February 21, 2009, 11:20:04 AM »

Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas (1998)
I really can't rate this. Depp's performance is great and gave me laughs, and the overall style is certainly not boring. But ... WTF?

Two words. Terry Gilliam.

ShortFuse
Gunslinger

View Profile
« Reply #5409 on: February 21, 2009, 11:26:26 AM »

I liked it, Brando provided one of the only believable Shakespeare performances ever.

Sir Laurence "Larry" Olivier wrote Shakespeare.

moviesceleton
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #5410 on: February 21, 2009, 11:55:06 AM »

Two words. Terry Gilliam.
Yeah but Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas is very crazy even for his work.

Just watched the extras on Monty Python's The Meaning of Life DVD and I have to say that I found the extra disc at least as funny as the main feature (which isn't their finest hour).

moviesceleton
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #5411 on: February 21, 2009, 03:09:16 PM »

Hip Hip Hora! (2004) "The Ketchup Effect" - 5/10
Tries to be risque and unconventional but actually it is rather predictable.

PowerRR
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #5412 on: February 21, 2009, 05:06:36 PM »

I think I might gradually stop posting here soon... I dunno. I'm sick of it =/

Cigarettes & Coffee - 8/10
Pretty interesting first film from Paul Thomas Anderson. Certainly an improvement from Dirk Diggler Story.

Groggy
Bounty Killer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5413 on: February 21, 2009, 08:32:22 PM »

Gran Torino - 8/10 - Finally got around to seeing this. I was a bit skeptical going in but it really impressed me. Clint was just great throughout, if nothing else he deserves credit for being able to poke fun at his age, but he gives a genuinely great performance. His exit was John Wayne-in-The-Shootist level awesome - the perfect way to go out, particularly if this is his last film role. The story was a bit cliche but it was done well so I don't really give a hoot - very little in Hollywood is that original anyway. The rest of the cast was tolerable; no Oscar-worthy performances but I disagree with the school of thought that everyone else sucked. An enjoyable movie and better than all of the Best Picture nominees but Slumdog.

« Last Edit: February 21, 2009, 08:41:43 PM by Groggy » Logged

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

View Profile
« Reply #5414 on: February 21, 2009, 10:29:24 PM »

I think I might gradually stop posting here soon... I dunno. I'm sick of it =/
No, you started this, you are going to stick with it until the sun burns out.

That's what you get, Drink, for getting out of bed this morning.
Pages: 1 ... 359 360 [361] 362 363 ... 1162 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM