Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 17, 2017, 04:26:04 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Other/Miscellaneous
| |-+  Off-Topic Discussion (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Rate The Last Movie You Saw
Pages: 1 ... 366 367 [368] 369 370 ... 1161 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Rate The Last Movie You Saw  (Read 1759873 times)
moviesceleton
Bounty Killer

The glance that makes holes in the silver screen

View Profile
« Reply #5505 on: March 10, 2009, 12:32:35 PM »

V for Vendetta (2005) - 7/10

"Once Upon a Time in America gets ten-minute ovation at Cannes"
Groggy
Bounty Killer

This post gets Agnew's stamp of approval!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5506 on: March 10, 2009, 04:31:56 PM »

Bonnie and Clyde - 7/10 - Finally saw this the whole way through after seeing parts several times. Well-made and pretty entertaining but nothing really special. The character development in particular is very disappointing; none of them are more than a cipher. Acting is pretty good and the action scenes are justly praised; Penn sure is a great director. But the movie just didn't click on that "special level".

Saturday nights with Groggy
noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5507 on: March 10, 2009, 05:20:31 PM »

Bonnie and Clyde - 7/10 - Finally saw this the whole way through after seeing parts several times. Well-made and pretty entertaining but nothing really special. The character development in particular is very disappointing; none of them are more than a cipher. Acting is pretty good and the action scenes are justly praised; Penn sure is a great director. But the movie just didn't click on that "special level".

That's exactly what i thought when I saw the whole of it for the first time 6 months ago.

New music video: ZOMBIE APOCALYPSE https://youtu.be/p968oyMo5B0
www.ThibautOskian.com
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

View Profile
« Reply #5508 on: March 10, 2009, 09:54:03 PM »

That's exactly what i thought when I saw the whole of it for the first time . . .
Me three.

That's what you get, Drink, for lying in the middle of the road.
titoli
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #5509 on: March 11, 2009, 03:48:09 AM »

We Own the Night - 4\10. Good though watching Duvall (excellent as usual) and Musante.

T.H.
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #5510 on: March 11, 2009, 10:54:16 AM »

am I a rotten individual for prefering the miracle worker to B&C and any other Penn movie I've seen?

I don't mean to trash Penn but his greatest achievement  to cinema is getting fired from The Train.

Claudia, we need you to appear in LOST COMMAND. It's gonna revolutionize the war genre. What did you think of the script?
noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5511 on: March 11, 2009, 11:27:48 AM »

am I a rotten individual for prefering the miracle worker to B&C and any other Penn movie I've seen?

I don't mean to trash Penn but his greatest achievement  to cinema is getting fired from The Train.

If you don't think Little Big Man is a stunning masterpiece, then you're a rotten individual. But your signature pic is still great. Where does it come from?

www.ThibautOskian.com
noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5512 on: March 11, 2009, 11:28:42 AM »

We Own the Night - 4\10. Good though watching Duvall (excellent as usual) and Musante.

?

You forgot 4 points.

www.ThibautOskian.com
Groggy
Bounty Killer

This post gets Agnew's stamp of approval!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5513 on: March 11, 2009, 12:42:24 PM »

Grin Grin Grin

I'm curious though how much B&C would be remembered if it weren't for the ending. It's rather cliched and very dated - definitely a product of the '60s. I mean obviously I enjoyed it as entertainment but is it really an all-time classic?

Saturday nights with Groggy
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

View Profile
« Reply #5514 on: March 11, 2009, 12:44:25 PM »

his greatest achievement  to cinema is getting fired from The Train.
Yikes, that's harsh. Probably true, though.

Little Big Man has its moments, but a "stunning masterpiece"? Not to my way of thinking. It goes for too many cheap laughs: Custer as a character who wandered in from Strangelove; the gay Indian; the burlesquing of Old Lodge Skins' death scene. Amusing, perhaps, but such things tend to undercut any claims made for the film's status as a masterpiece.

That's what you get, Drink, for lying in the middle of the road.
Whalestoe
« Reply #5515 on: March 11, 2009, 01:07:11 PM »

?

You forgot -4 points.

Fixed.

noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5516 on: March 11, 2009, 01:46:28 PM »

I'm curious though how much B&C would be remembered if it weren't for the ending. It's rather cliched and very dated - definitely a product of the '60s. I mean obviously I enjoyed it as entertainment but is it really an all-time classic?

I think it will always be remembered for the modernity of the thing. As far as I know, this is the first time that the influence from european movies (neorealism and nouvelle vague) is so obvious in a big american movie, in the scriptwriting, in the dialogues and in the camerawork. Moreover, the topic of the movie (which is its biggest flaw to me) perfectly fited the time (late 60's).
It's considered by many movie historian as the premice of the 70's (along with The Graduate). And i ckind of understand this.

www.ThibautOskian.com
noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5517 on: March 11, 2009, 01:47:12 PM »

Little Big Man has its moments, but a "stunning masterpiece"? Not to my way of thinking. It goes for too many cheap laughs: Custer as a character who wandered in from Strangelove; the gay Indian; the burlesquing of Old Lodge Skins' death scene. Amusing, perhaps, but such things tend to undercut any claims made for the film's status as a masterpiece.

Well, that's the point of the movie. You move from emotion to laugh the whole movie.

www.ThibautOskian.com
moviesceleton
Bounty Killer

The glance that makes holes in the silver screen

View Profile
« Reply #5518 on: March 11, 2009, 01:53:48 PM »

Dama s sobachkoy (1960) "The Lady with the Dog" - 8.5/10
In the emperor era Russia, a married man and a married woman meet on a holiday and they fall in love. They go back to their homes but can't forget each other, so some six months later the man tracks the woman down. The old story but well executed. I like the idea of juxtaposing their love story and the the change of seasons eventhough it's not a totally unique approach and it is stretched a bit too far, as are some other nice little touches that should have been let even smaller. The smaller the expression the more impressive it seems to be in this movie. The B&W cinematography is amazing, especially in the holiday scenes. I think I'll burn myself a DVD-R. Even for the cinematography alone.   

"Once Upon a Time in America gets ten-minute ovation at Cannes"
T.H.
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #5519 on: March 11, 2009, 03:22:34 PM »

I'll go a few steps further:

Too much plot, not enough depth to the leads (or any at all) and LBM needs to be punished for being a precursor to that Gump movie, in my mind at least. I really didn't find anything too particularly funny or touching either. It also irks me how LBM is given credit for breaking imaginary ground for its sympathetic portrayal of native americans when movies like devil's doorway were made twenty years prior. I know I'm in the minority with the hate but there are more than enough flaws to counter that 'stunning masterpiece' remark.

Noodles: the sig pic is from BLAST OF SILENCE.

« Last Edit: March 11, 2009, 03:23:58 PM by Tuco Harmonica » Logged

Claudia, we need you to appear in LOST COMMAND. It's gonna revolutionize the war genre. What did you think of the script?
Pages: 1 ... 366 367 [368] 369 370 ... 1161 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM