Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 17, 2017, 09:40:09 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Other/Miscellaneous
| |-+  Off-Topic Discussion (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Rate The Last Movie You Saw
Pages: 1 ... 368 369 [370] 371 372 ... 1161 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Rate The Last Movie You Saw  (Read 1760220 times)
Groggy
Bounty Killer

This post gets Agnew's stamp of approval!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5535 on: March 14, 2009, 05:32:58 PM »

Pulp Fiction - 8/10 - For some reason I didn't really care for the ending. Otherwise a great film, very well-constructed and shows that QT is, or at least once was, a great writer and a good if unspectacular director. The cast is uniformly excellent, the pacing is perfect and the story/narrative construction very clever and engaging (although bits like the gimp scene and Christopher Walken's cameo do seem superfluous). I was pleasantly surprised.

Saturday nights with Groggy
T.H.
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #5536 on: March 14, 2009, 05:41:52 PM »

Pulp Fiction - 8/10 - For some reason I didn't really care for the ending. Otherwise a great film, very well-constructed and shows that QT is, or at least once was, a great writer and a good if unspectacular director. The cast is uniformly excellent, the pacing is perfect and the story/narrative construction very clever and engaging (although bits like the gimp scene and Christopher Walken's cameo do seem superfluous). I was pleasantly surprised.

both sequences serve a respective purpose: the Walken scene perfectly illustrates why Willis needs to leave the safe haven of his hotel room to risk his livelihood for a watch. The gimp scene, as extreme as it may be, is one of the few believable events that could possibly unite Rhames and Willis' characters.

Claudia, we need you to appear in LOST COMMAND. It's gonna revolutionize the war genre. What did you think of the script?
noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5537 on: March 14, 2009, 06:18:50 PM »

You enjoy QT's movies infinitly more than what I thought. Not a big deal, but I'm surprised (I couldn't really say why).

« Last Edit: March 14, 2009, 06:19:51 PM by noodles_leone » Logged

New music video: ZOMBIE APOCALYPSE https://youtu.be/p968oyMo5B0
www.ThibautOskian.com
noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5538 on: March 14, 2009, 09:43:58 PM »

Revolutionary Road 7/10

I'll have to watch it again to be sure about the rating. It's always hard for me to rate a movie with 5 endings consecutive after the first viewing (it always leaves me out of the movie during the last 15 minutes). But overall I was more than pleasantly surprised, I expected something way more déjà-vu than this.

« Last Edit: March 14, 2009, 09:45:47 PM by noodles_leone » Logged

www.ThibautOskian.com
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

View Profile
« Reply #5539 on: March 15, 2009, 08:13:56 AM »

Pulp Fiction - 8/10 - For some reason I didn't really care for the ending. Otherwise a great film, very well-constructed and shows that QT is, or at least once was, a great writer and a good if unspectacular director.
Give credit where credit is due. Roger Avary, QT's writing partner at the time, is responsible for much of what makes PF work. Huh, do you you think the fact the two men had a falling out has something to do with QT's subsequent QA (Quality Assurance) problems?

That's what you get, Drink, for lying in the middle of the road.
moviesceleton
Bounty Killer

The glance that makes holes in the silver screen

View Profile
« Reply #5540 on: March 15, 2009, 08:25:30 AM »

Give credit where credit is due. Roger Avary, QT's writing partner at the time, is responsible for much of what makes PF work. Huh, do you you think the fact the two men had a falling out has something to do with QT's subsequent QA (Quality Assurance) problems?
That's kinda true, but Avary hasn't done anything spectacular either since Pulp Fiction.

"Once Upon a Time in America gets ten-minute ovation at Cannes"
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #5541 on: March 15, 2009, 09:11:36 AM »

Which can be accounted for by the fact that the two together can achieve a creative synergy that neither apart is capable of (although some think that Avary's Rules of Attraction--which I haven't seen--has merit).

noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5542 on: March 15, 2009, 12:10:46 PM »

(although some think that Avary's Rules of Attraction--which I haven't seen--has merit).

It has merits. Far less than Jacky Brown, Reservoir Dogs and Death Proof. Slighltly less than Kill Bill 2. Probably as much than Kill Bill 1 (QT's worst work).

www.ThibautOskian.com
T.H.
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #5543 on: March 15, 2009, 01:28:48 PM »

It has merits. Far less than Jacky Brown, Reservoir Dogs and Death Proof. Slighltly less than Kill Bill 2. Probably as much than Kill Bill 1 (QT's worst work).

I disagree. vol. 1 is much better than vol. 2 and death proof (the latter, his worst work). That restaurant scene in vol. 1 is arguably the best thing he's ever done. It's a treat for fans of kung-fu cinema (don't mistake me for an expert though).

Claudia, we need you to appear in LOST COMMAND. It's gonna revolutionize the war genre. What did you think of the script?
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #5544 on: March 15, 2009, 01:35:59 PM »

I do think QT is best when working with a collaborator. My fave Tarantino is still Jackie Brown, and in that case his collaborator was, indirectly, Elmore Leonard.

noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5545 on: March 15, 2009, 02:12:11 PM »

I disagree. vol. 1 is much better than vol. 2 and death proof (the latter, his worst work). That restaurant scene in vol. 1 is arguably the best thing he's ever done. It's a treat for fans of kung-fu cinema (don't mistake me for an expert though).

I know that everybody has his own way of ranking Tarantino's movies Smiley
I perfectly understand what QT was trying to do with Kill Bill, in particular with the final of the first volume... but I'm sorry, to me, he failed: this is not the best f*cking fight scene you've ever seen. Not at all.
It was still good though.

May be you guys should see the long version of Death Proof before making a definitive opinion. I know, many are going to say "it was already way too long", but you also all know that this has nothing to do with the real length. I haven't seen the short version, so I cannot really discuss the movie with you: we haven't seen the same.

DJ: I can understand why... and some days, I could even agree on that... but then I watch Reservoir Dogs and remembers it is not true, as long as you consider he wrote it alone (I'm not going into the big debate about the rip off, i haven't seen the other movie).

« Last Edit: March 15, 2009, 02:13:50 PM by noodles_leone » Logged

www.ThibautOskian.com
T.H.
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #5546 on: March 15, 2009, 03:01:43 PM »

I never said it was the best fight scene I've seen, but it is undeniably great. vol. 1 is pretty damn good outside of the vivica a. fox (sp?) fight and the lack of a payoff.

noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5547 on: March 15, 2009, 03:46:31 PM »

I never said it was the best fight scene I've seen

You never said, it was QT who said it was what he was trying to do. Since Kill Bill vol.1, he always try to put at least one "best fight/car chase/car crash/final/etc scene ever" in each of his movies. I'm ok with that (trying this kind of things is a great way to do great scenes), but to me, the final of Kill Bill 1 was just a really good fight scene (I have in mind many other better ones that I wouldn't even call "great").
Unlike the car crash of Death Proof, which is really one of best ever.
And I think you'll agree about the car chase of Death Proof, which is good and fun but not great either.

www.ThibautOskian.com
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #5548 on: March 15, 2009, 04:14:23 PM »

DJ: I can understand why... and some days, I could even agree on that... but then I watch Reservoir Dogs and remembers it is not true, as long as you consider he wrote it alone
Did he write it alone? My understanding is that Avary is entitled to credit on this one too (not sure how much, though).

noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5549 on: March 15, 2009, 04:20:33 PM »

In the script I own he is only credited for "Radio Background Dialogue" (I just checked).
But I could be wrong.

www.ThibautOskian.com
Pages: 1 ... 368 369 [370] 371 372 ... 1161 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM