Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 12, 2017, 03:04:38 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Other/Miscellaneous
| |-+  Off-Topic Discussion (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Rate The Last Movie You Saw
Pages: 1 ... 370 371 [372] 373 374 ... 1169 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Rate The Last Movie You Saw  (Read 1833248 times)
moviesceleton
Bounty Killer

The glance that makes holes in the silver screen

View Profile
« Reply #5565 on: March 18, 2009, 01:00:11 PM »

Tess (1979) - 8.5/10
The 160-something min version (is any of the longer cuts worth seeking out?). This was something I didn't expect from Polanski. But the ending drops my rating 0.5/10...

« Last Edit: March 18, 2009, 02:08:26 PM by moviesceleton » Logged

"Once Upon a Time in America gets ten-minute ovation at Cannes"
Groggy
Bounty Killer

This post gets Agnew's stamp of approval!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5566 on: March 18, 2009, 03:03:20 PM »

The Magnificent Ambersons - 8-/10 - Technically a great film, perhaps even better than Kane aesthetically, and I did find the story extremely interesting although the characters were hard to get into. I might have given it the full 8 but I hated the tacked on "happy ending". Other than that... Afro

Saturday nights with Groggy
marmota-b
Bounty Killer

It's perfect timing, large one...

View Profile
« Reply #5567 on: March 19, 2009, 05:04:17 AM »

Pat Garrett and the Sundance Kid? Cheesy
Fixed!

(I'm a free man, I have the right to love the final scene of Pat Garrett and the Sundance Kid if I want, you fascist former republican!)
Is that the scene where the Bolivian Army shoots the Mexican kid who's throwing rocks at Garrett?
... while Coburn and Newman shoot chicken heads.  Cheesy

Grin Noodles, you're not alone in this, I confuse them as well... not the films themselves, but the names for sure!

There are two kinds of films in this world:those which stay,even when their genre is forgotten,and those which don't.
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

View Profile
« Reply #5568 on: March 19, 2009, 06:16:27 AM »

The Magnificent Ambersons - 8-/10 - Technically a great film, perhaps even better than Kane aesthetically, and I did find the story extremely interesting although the characters were hard to get into. I might have given it the full 8 but I hated the tacked on "happy ending". Other than that... Afro
"Tacked on happy ending," and it still gets an 8? You're not giving extra points for intentions, are you?

Carringer makes a good case for seeing the first 30 minutes as Welles-at-his-best material, and then argues the film gets progressively worse from there. Interestingly, he doesn't put the blame on RKO and its feckless management, but rather on Welles himself. Welles had done Ambersons for radio, so when he needed to come up with a project quickly, he pulled this one out of his ass (not Carringer's words). But unlike Kane, where he worked on the script with another writer, Welles this time didn't bother to collaborate. Hence many of the problems that had to be fixed later, after Welles had departed for points south.

Carringer is almost persuasive, but I think the problem was more foundational than that. The Booth Tarkington story just wasn't that good, and even the best adaptation in the world wasn't going to make it fly. A story about an annoying Momma's boy and his eleventh hour redemption? Please. Also, the topical issue of the evils of mass produced automobiles doesn't actually play all that well , even in 1942. We've pretty much decided that the up-sides far outweigh the downsides, so scenes of characters being wracked over "the cost of progress" seem hopelessly quaint. Even the fact of the lead character getting hit by a car--an event intended to be tellingly ironic--becomes a detail of little interest.

Welles's instincts were good: he intended to move the focus at the end away from Tim Holt and onto Fanny and Jed Leland (well, whatever the character's name is in this one). That would certainly have made for a better film; but that didn't happen, and anyway, it would not have redeemed all that had come before. We would have had a good 30 minute start, a rock-solid ending, and a lot of ho-hum in the middle. Like Tarantino, Wells should have always written with a partner.

That's what you get, Drink, for being such an annoying Melville fanboy.
noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5569 on: March 19, 2009, 09:23:18 AM »

Grin Noodles, you're not alone in this, I confuse them as well... not the films themselves, but the names for sure!

I always have to stop and think about it for 5 minutes when I want to talk about one of these movies Smiley

New music video: ZOMBIE APOCALYPSE https://youtu.be/p968oyMo5B0
www.ThibautOskian.com
Groggy
Bounty Killer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5570 on: March 19, 2009, 10:28:52 AM »

So you like the ending as is Jinkies?

franksgrandson
Gunslinger

just the man

View Profile
« Reply #5571 on: March 19, 2009, 04:22:47 PM »

Cringe if you like but I just got blown away by the 2006 movie
The Lake House
Sandra Bullock, Keanau Reeves.
I usually dislike romantic films but picked the DVD up cos Bullock looked do nice on the box cover
I sat and watched it transfixed what a part she plays Reeves supports her well they are good together
and Christopher Plumber great as the father.
Story taken from Il Mare Keorean film and it crackles although has a couple of unexplained holes.
The movie score is excellent as well by Racheal Portman, with a Macca track.
worth a watch I loved it

MORTON ONCE TOLD ME I COULD NEVER BE LIKE HIM, NOW I UNDERSTAND WHY
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #5572 on: March 19, 2009, 07:58:06 PM »

So you like the ending as is Jinkies?
Not at all. Which is why the film deserves something more like a "6."

Groggy
Bounty Killer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5573 on: March 19, 2009, 08:06:28 PM »

Not at all. Which is why the film deserves something more like a "6."

Then what's with your comment above?

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #5574 on: March 19, 2009, 10:07:51 PM »

It seems perfectly straightforward to me. If Welles had gotten the ending he was going for he would have had a better--but still highly flawed--film. As it is, with the crappy ending, the film takes a nose-dive in quality after the opening 30 minutes and just keeps getting worse and worse.

Groggy
Bounty Killer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5575 on: March 19, 2009, 10:10:29 PM »

Do you mean the scene of Tim Holt alone in the room, his life in tatters?

titoli
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #5576 on: March 19, 2009, 11:12:11 PM »

The Lady Eve - (6\10) Not the best Sturges, the twin business is absurd. Some good scene though.

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #5577 on: March 20, 2009, 06:04:29 AM »

The Lady Eve - (6\10) . . . the twin business is absurd.
Hence the comedy. This is why William Demarest's final line is so funny ("Definitely the same dame.") What is obvious to him should  be obvious to all, but he's treated like he's a nut. Absurdity in the service of humor is to be lauded in a comedy.

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #5578 on: March 20, 2009, 06:32:28 AM »

In the Electric Mist (2008) - 7/10. A routine crime film is elevated slightly by an amazing cast and a very good evocation of place: Louisiana, post-Katrina. Tommy Lee Jones plays a lawman investigating a series of murders . . .  yada, yada, yada. Tommy Lee here looks like hell, but he isn't quite in Old Men Country yet: he's married to Mary Steenburgen (lucky, lucky), has a young daughter, and can still swing a baseball bat when required. And he's a recovering alcoholic. Oh, and he sees dead people, specifically Confederate dead people, and most particularly, General John Bell Hood (played by Levon Helm!). There's some good music in the flick, some of it supplied by Buddy Guy, who also has a part. Did I mention Mary Steenburgen is in the picture? Also Ned Beatty! John Sayles has a bit as . . . a film director! Speaking of film directors, Bernard Tavernier himself shepherded this project straight to video (and Blu-ray--but the SD release looks amazing as it is), and word is the European cut is different (and better) and may have even played in a cinema somewhere. Well, this one kept me entertained anyway (love those Tommy Lee voice-overs).

« Last Edit: March 31, 2016, 08:46:50 AM by dave jenkins » Logged

Groggy
Bounty Killer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5579 on: March 20, 2009, 09:11:11 AM »

The Lady Eve - (6\10) Not the best Sturges, the twin business is absurd. Some good scene though.

I was rather let down by this film too. I might give it a slightly higher rating but it really wasn't that funny and the second half in particular didn't click. Shakespeare might have been able to pull off the mistaken identity bit but Sturges ain't Shakespeare. Stanwyck is really sexy and Henry Fonda is really great at comedy though, so it's at least worth a look.

« Last Edit: March 20, 2009, 09:17:01 AM by Groggy » Logged

Pages: 1 ... 370 371 [372] 373 374 ... 1169 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM