Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 19, 2017, 03:14:50 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Other/Miscellaneous
| |-+  Off-Topic Discussion (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Rate The Last Movie You Saw
Pages: 1 ... 378 379 [380] 381 382 ... 1162 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Rate The Last Movie You Saw  (Read 1762463 times)
noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5685 on: April 04, 2009, 04:19:19 PM »

The Good, The Bad and The Ugly 10/10

Amazing movie! Anyone has ever heard of it?

New music video: ZOMBIE APOCALYPSE https://youtu.be/p968oyMo5B0
www.ThibautOskian.com
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

View Profile
« Reply #5686 on: April 04, 2009, 04:54:11 PM »

Yeah, it's a remake of an Italian film called Il buono, il brutto, il cattivo.

That's what you get, Drink, for getting out of bed this morning.
Groggy
Bounty Killer

This post gets Agnew's stamp of approval!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5687 on: April 04, 2009, 06:16:25 PM »

Shane - 7-8/10 - Finally saw this thanks to TCM, the Procrastination Inhibitor. I'm not sure about a hard rating because it had many things I'm torn about. On the negative side, the acting aside from Jack Palance is pretty stiff (and Brandon DeWilde and Jean Arthur are painfully annoying), the movie spends far too much time setting up the story and characters, dragging very slowly at times. But the strong sequences are really commendable: Ladd first appearing between a deer's antlers, the killing of Elisha Cook Jr.'s character, Palance and Ladd sizing each other up at the ranch, the epic bar fight, the scuffle between Ladd and Heflin with the animals losing it, and the final showdown are all brilliant sequences. And needless to say, it's an absolutely gorgeous film visually. The influence on Leone is pretty obvious, from the OUATITW-inspiring opening to the decidedly un-glamorous depiction of the muddy town and its crooked, cowardly citizens (although our heroes remain fairly pristine throughout). Very good Western, and I'm glad I finally saw it, but it's not one I'll go out of my way to see a second time.

Saturday nights with Groggy
Groggy
Bounty Killer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5688 on: April 04, 2009, 06:27:47 PM »

Yeah, it's a remake of an Italian film called Il buono, il brutto, il cattivo.

Please, Jenkins, re-imagining. Roll Eyes

titoli
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #5689 on: April 04, 2009, 08:52:59 PM »

Lean's Great Expectations : 7\10.

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #5690 on: April 04, 2009, 08:53:58 PM »

Shane - 7-8/10 - Finally saw this thanks to TCM, the Procrastination Inhibitor. I'm not sure about a hard rating because it had many things I'm torn about. On the negative side, the acting aside from Jack Palance is pretty stiff (and Brandon DeWilde and Jean Arthur are painfully annoying), the movie spends far too much time setting up the story and characters, dragging very slowly at times. But the strong sequences are really commendable: Ladd first appearing between a deer's antlers, the killing of Elisha Cook Jr.'s character, Palance and Ladd sizing each other up at the ranch, the epic bar fight, the scuffle between Ladd and Heflin with the animals losing it, and the final showdown are all brilliant sequences. And needless to say, it's an absolutely gorgeous film visually. The influence on Leone is pretty obvious, from the OUATITW-inspiring opening to the decidedly un-glamorous depiction of the muddy town and its crooked, cowardly citizens (although our heroes remain fairly pristine throughout). Very good Western, and I'm glad I finally saw it, but it's not one I'll go out of my way to see a second time.
You should make the effort, for although you cited many of the film's positives, your list is hardly exhaustive. I draw your attention in particular to the speech the old guy makes when he tries one last time to convince Van Heflin to clear out. He talks about all those who came before and the effort made to tear out an existence from the wilderness, and how it chafes his ass that all these squatters have come in behind, these squatters who not only take advantage of the hard work of their predecessors, but who are fouling things up for the old timers that remain. Up to then the guy was just a mean old man, but when he tells his side of it, he's suddenly sympathetic. That's always the point I start rooting for Wilson . . .

Anyway, there's always something you miss the first time through.

Groggy
Bounty Killer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5691 on: April 04, 2009, 09:04:55 PM »

I draw your attention in particular to the speech the old guy makes when he tries one last time to convince Van Heflin to clear out. He talks about all those who came before and the effort made to tear out an existence from the wilderness, and how it chafes his ass that all these squatters have come in behind, these squatters who not only take advantage of the hard work of their predecessors, but who are fouling things up for the old timers that remain. Up to then the guy was just a mean old man, but when he tells his side of it, he's suddenly sympathetic. That's always the point I start rooting for Wilson . . .

Good point, and the fact that the gang of sodbusters are a bunch of weak scaredy-cats doesn't help matters. But it's still clear who's side the film is on, and that nice speech seems forgotten almost the moment after it's said.

This movie reminded me a great deal of The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance, actually, although I enjoyed that film more. The basic plot outlines seem pretty much the same, anyway, although Ford's film is more concerned with the long-term affects of what's going on.

Groggy
Bounty Killer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5692 on: April 04, 2009, 09:06:32 PM »

Lean's Great Expectations : 7\10.

I agree with this rating, I think. There's a good deal to admire in the film (mostly on a technical and artistic level) but the awkward casting and the uncomfortable compression of the book's storyline hamper it a great deal. However, this doesn't make up for your dissing of Oliver Twist, which is superior in almost every regard.

Tuco the ugly
« Reply #5693 on: April 05, 2009, 01:27:53 AM »

Summer of Sam (1999) - 6/10

As usual with Spike Lee joints, the stereotypical (ethnic) characters in their dance through the big city are more than fun to watch, but the main story gets run over and left behind somewhere in the first part of the movie. Still, fun to watch.

Grumpy Old Men (1993) - 6/10

OK comedy with Matthau and Lemmon. Burgess Meredith has a few great lines in this one.

Cusser
Bounty Killer

Remember, I always see the job through !

View Profile
« Reply #5694 on: April 05, 2009, 07:45:52 AM »

Saw Sunshine Cleaning last night, pretty good.  Amy Adams is HOT !!!  Even when she's not trying to be.

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #5695 on: April 05, 2009, 08:43:32 AM »

I agree with this rating, I think. There's a good deal to admire in the film (mostly on a technical and artistic level) but the awkward casting and the uncomfortable compression of the book's storyline hamper it a great deal. However, this doesn't make up for your dissing of Oliver Twist, which is superior in almost every regard.
Yeah, Oliver Twist is clearly the better film.

Tuco the ugly
« Reply #5696 on: April 05, 2009, 09:02:56 AM »

Amy Adams is HOT !!!  Even when she's not trying to be.

Sure, but she's pale as a corpse.

Groggy
Bounty Killer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5697 on: April 05, 2009, 10:11:04 AM »

I don't know if hot is the word to describe Amy Adams... I'd say gorgeous or adorable myself. Cheesy

« Last Edit: April 05, 2009, 11:00:26 AM by Groggy » Logged

Groggy
Bounty Killer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5698 on: April 05, 2009, 04:28:22 PM »

The Wrong Man - 10/10 - First impression? Hitchcock's best film of the 25 or so I've seen. I will try and think of something more eloquent to say for the Hitchcock thread.

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #5699 on: April 05, 2009, 06:23:33 PM »

The Wrong Man - 10/10 - First impression? Hitchcock's best film of the 25 or so I've seen. I will try and think of something more eloquent to say for the Hitchcock thread.
You've really surprised me this time. I guess maybe this is the Hitchcock film for people who don't like Hitchcock films.

Pages: 1 ... 378 379 [380] 381 382 ... 1162 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM