Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 23, 2017, 09:28:28 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Other/Miscellaneous
| |-+  Off-Topic Discussion (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Rate The Last Movie You Saw
Pages: 1 ... 381 382 [383] 384 385 ... 1162 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Rate The Last Movie You Saw  (Read 1769495 times)
Whalestoe
« Reply #5730 on: April 07, 2009, 09:18:03 PM »

Talkin' about The Getaway and its remake. Not Chinatown. Which is a 10/10 for me.

Haha, okay good. I was about to be buuummeeed. Wink

The Firecracker
Bounty Killer

Rub me the wrong way, and I'll go off in your face

View Profile
« Reply #5731 on: April 07, 2009, 09:57:58 PM »

No worries, I only dislike stinky movies like Slumdog.

The Official COMIN' AT YA! re-release site
http://cominatyanoir3d.com/
Groggy
Bounty Killer

This post gets Agnew's stamp of approval!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5732 on: April 07, 2009, 10:42:51 PM »

Pygmalion - 9/10 - Nice to see this popping up on TCM just as I've been reading lots of Shaw for my English/theatre class. Wendy Hiller is a great Eliza, beautiful in an unconventional way and lots of fun to watch. Leslie Howard is a great Higgins although I probably prefer, and the movie certainly benefited from lacking the obnoxious music and sublimating side characters like Alfred Doolittle and Freddy. David Lean edited the film, and directed its primary montage scene (of Liza's elocution lessons) - his first major directing job for those interested. It makes me really wish all that much more that the film of My Fair Lady had been a non-musical straight version of Pygmalion with the same cast - then we might have had something.

Saturday nights with Groggy
moviesceleton
Bounty Killer

The glance that makes holes in the silver screen

View Profile
« Reply #5733 on: April 08, 2009, 10:16:40 AM »

Aaltra (2004) - 7/10

"Once Upon a Time in America gets ten-minute ovation at Cannes"
Groggy
Bounty Killer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5734 on: April 08, 2009, 03:13:55 PM »

Peeping Tom - 9/10 - Both funny as hell and extremely disturbing. Always a good combination. Afro

marmota-b
Bounty Killer

It's perfect timing, large one...

View Profile
« Reply #5735 on: April 08, 2009, 11:42:16 PM »

Ofelaš / Pathfinder (1987) - 8/10
I saw it in Saami with Norwegian subtitles, thanks to which I understood about five words of the whole thing... But we got the background history and some of the most important scenes explained.

And yesterday I FINALLY saw The Magnificent Seven, but I won't rate it now... it needs some time to figure out, considering I kept remembering The Seven Samurai when watching it.

There are two kinds of films in this world:those which stay,even when their genre is forgotten,and those which don't.
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

View Profile
« Reply #5736 on: April 09, 2009, 06:41:30 AM »

Ofelaš / Pathfinder (1987) - 8/10
I saw it in Saami with Norwegian subtitles, thanks to which I understood about five words of the whole thing... But we got the background history and some of the most important scenes explained.
Is this the one where the kid's family/tribe gets slaughtered and then he has to take it on the lam, trying to keep one step ahead of the killers who are after him? If so, 1987 was probably when I last saw it . . .

That's what you get, Drink, for getting out of bed this morning.
marmota-b
Bounty Killer

It's perfect timing, large one...

View Profile
« Reply #5737 on: April 09, 2009, 10:31:59 AM »

Is this the one where the kid's family/tribe gets slaughtered and then he has to take it on the lam, trying to keep one step ahead of the killers who are after him? If so, 1987 was probably when I last saw it . . .

Yes, it's that one. It seemed more like a family than a tribe... And he's not only running from them, later on it's him who shows the way to them... trying to have his revenge.

« Last Edit: April 09, 2009, 12:20:17 PM by marmota-b » Logged

There are two kinds of films in this world:those which stay,even when their genre is forgotten,and those which don't.
Kurug3n
Bounty Killer

Que pasa?

View Profile
« Reply #5738 on: April 09, 2009, 11:18:08 AM »

The Wicker Man- 6/10

nick cage was alright

Mad Max- 7/10

those jump cuts get annoying but some are pretty funny Grin

Easy Rider- 5/10

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #5739 on: April 09, 2009, 01:18:58 PM »

Yes, it's that one. It seemed more like a family than a tribe... And he's not only running from them, later on it's him who shows the way to them... trying to have his revenge.
thanks, it's been awhile, but it's coming back to me . . .

Whalestoe
« Reply #5740 on: April 10, 2009, 03:38:03 AM »

Let the Right One In - 8.5/10

moviesceleton
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #5741 on: April 10, 2009, 04:00:22 AM »

Finding Nemo (2003) - 9/10
Fourth of fifth viewing and it's still probably my favorite Pixar movie.

moviesceleton
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #5742 on: April 10, 2009, 04:30:12 AM »

Katastrofin aineksia (2008) "Recipes for Disaster" - 8.5/10
A documentarist decides that he and his family are going to live without oil or plastic for a year. That means no car, no food packaged in plastic or even toothpaste in plastic tubes. As his wife and kids are not as idealistic as he is, drama can't be avoided. Sounds like another Michael Moore/Morgan Spurlock kinda movie but this is a lot more realistic and down-to-earth. It's more about human drama - especially between the idealistic man and his reluctant wife - than about going after international corporations. And in the end he is even ready to admit that he was wrong in some aspects. Changing petrol to biodiesel does make a difference but abandoning toothpaste really does not.

Groggy
Bounty Killer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5743 on: April 10, 2009, 09:06:16 AM »

Finding Nemo (2003) - 9/10
Fourth of fifth viewing and it's still probably my favorite Pixar movie.

Well for me it's a tight race between that and the Toy Stories. Conceding that I haven't seen Wall-E, I don't think they've made anything truly great since Finding Nemo - maybe the first half of The Incredibles.

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #5744 on: April 10, 2009, 10:01:03 AM »

Meghe Dhaka Tara/ The Cloud-Capped Star (1960) - 4/10. A young Bengali woman is the sole support for her feckless family. She gets TB and dies. Everyone's sorry then--especially the viewer, who has had to endure every bite of this over-egged pudding. The sound design (consisting of music and found sounds), interesting though it may be, provides too little compensation.

Il generale Della Rovere (1959) - 8/10 An odd Rosselini: a return to the Open City, but now re-imagined in the studio. Apparently the film was shot quickly and somewhat cheaply: it abounds with bad rear projection and unconvincing inserts of file footage. The story, about a con man co-opted by the Germans to pass as a war hero so he can gather intelligence in prison on the Resistance, is predictable: of course he will take his part to heart and die a hero's death. But the film is terrific. De Sica, who plays the lead, looks great and is adequate to the role, and the other players (many of whom appear only briefly) provide him with the support he needs. And in spite of the fact the plot offers no surprises, the story remains interesting, the drama compelling. Based on a true story, we're told, but that doesn't really matter. Did I mention Giovanna Ralli is in the picture?

Winner of the Golden Beaver at Murmansk: those film juries really love their art films.

Pages: 1 ... 381 382 [383] 384 385 ... 1162 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM