Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 19, 2017, 12:12:38 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Other/Miscellaneous
| |-+  Off-Topic Discussion (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Rate The Last Movie You Saw
Pages: 1 ... 382 383 [384] 385 386 ... 1162 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Rate The Last Movie You Saw  (Read 1762941 times)
moviesceleton
Bounty Killer

The glance that makes holes in the silver screen

View Profile
« Reply #5745 on: April 10, 2009, 10:35:08 AM »

Well for me it's a tight race between that and the Toy Stories. Conceding that I haven't seen Wall-E, I don't think they've made anything truly great since Finding Nemo - maybe the first half of The Incredibles.
I haven't seen Cars and frankly I don't have any great urge to, but Ratatouille was a good (albeit not great) one and I guess I've expressed my satisfaction with Wall-E. For me it's the only true rival for Finding Nemo.

The Illusionist (2006) - 6/10
Good but indefferent.

"Once Upon a Time in America gets ten-minute ovation at Cannes"
Groggy
Bounty Killer

This post gets Agnew's stamp of approval!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5746 on: April 10, 2009, 10:55:28 AM »

Cars was okay. I didn't much care for Ratatouille though.

Saturday nights with Groggy
noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5747 on: April 10, 2009, 11:56:23 AM »

Well for me it's a tight race between that and the Toy Stories. Conceding that I haven't seen Wall-E, I don't think they've made anything truly great since Finding Nemo - maybe the first half of The Incredibles.

To me, Wall-E's first half is an absolute masterpiece. After that, it all becomes much more conventional with very regular well-done-but-seen-over-thousands-times action and carrying a politically correct message. However, once again, the first half was amazing, great, old-school, poetic, without dialogue.

New music video: ZOMBIE APOCALYPSE https://youtu.be/p968oyMo5B0
www.ThibautOskian.com
Groggy
Bounty Killer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5748 on: April 10, 2009, 01:42:42 PM »

2001: A Space Odyssey - 8/10 - Yes, I finally saw it. A remarkable film on a purely technical level. I don't think there is a more visually gorgeous film in existence, and the music and soundscape were fascinating throughout. However, I will make the complaint that the movie is cold and uninvolving; interesting certainly, but uninvolving. None of the characters except Hal develop anything resembling a personality, the story is virtually non-existant and I'm not sure what to make of the film's message. The fact that Kubrick was able to stretch out two and a half hours of very thin characters and narrative into a breath-taking experience is surely to his credit, and at least it didn't bore me like Barry Lyndon.

Groggy
Bounty Killer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5749 on: April 10, 2009, 07:57:53 PM »

The Love Bug - 6/10 - Wow, this was one of favorites as a kid and TCM's having a marathon of these movies tonight! Really goofy but provided some nostalgic fun. Might even watch the other ones.

noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5750 on: April 10, 2009, 08:04:29 PM »

I agree about 2001.

Raging Bull - 8/10

Third viewing. First time a got involved too.
What to say about this movie that hasn't already been said thousands times? The reason why I don't give it a 10 out of 10 is that... the main character isn't interesting at all. It took me three viewings to get a bit involved in what was going on in the "Did you fuck my wife?" scenes. So great movie, one of the best done ever, but the themes are too far from me.

New music video: ZOMBIE APOCALYPSE https://youtu.be/p968oyMo5B0
www.ThibautOskian.com
Groggy
Bounty Killer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5751 on: April 10, 2009, 09:31:39 PM »

Herbie Rides Again - 4/10 - Okay, nostalgia over. The fun part was Keenan Wynn's nightmare sequence, otherwise pretty dumb.

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

View Profile
« Reply #5752 on: April 11, 2009, 01:26:27 AM »

2001: A Space Odyssey - 8/10 - Yes, I finally saw it. A remarkable film on a purely technical level. I don't think there is a more visually gorgeous film in existence, and the music and soundscape were fascinating throughout. However, I will make the complaint that the movie is cold and uninvolving; interesting certainly, but uninvolving. None of the characters except Hal develop anything resembling a personality, the story is virtually non-existant and I'm not sure what to make of the film's message. The fact that Kubrick was able to stretch out two and a half hours of very thin characters and narrative into a breath-taking experience is surely to his credit, and at least it didn't bore me like Barry Lyndon.
I find that with repeated viewings 2001 has less and less to offer. I guess I've seen it about a dozen times--the visuals and the music are the big draws. The plotlessness has never bothered me: it's essentially a documentary about an alternative future, although one that grows more irrelevant all the time. My most recent viewing of it was in 70mm at the Cinerama in Seattle. Afterwards I decided, There's no reason to watch this ever again.

Barry Lyndon--great visuals and music again--operates at least as a commentary on Thackeray's novel, and Thackeray is an artist who for me grows more interesting with time.

That's what you get, Drink, for getting out of bed this morning.
Groggy
Bounty Killer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5753 on: April 11, 2009, 10:38:41 AM »

To be fair, I'd be willing to watch Barry Lyndon again to see if I enjoy it more. There are at least some things about it that I admire and it's possible repeat viewings might enhance the experience. I'm not sure how hasty I'd be to rewatch 2001 though.

Tuco the ugly
« Reply #5754 on: April 11, 2009, 01:21:38 PM »

Play It to the Bone (1999) - 3.76/10

Crap with a couple of funny moments, which means crap.

titoli
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #5755 on: April 11, 2009, 01:29:51 PM »

12 Angry Men . I finally saw the dvd sfter having watched it 3-4 times dubbed. It has some defects (the sometime waving of the blue, red and white, basically; also some performance, like Sweeney's) but I think that, apart from being a great thriller (with all the limitations of a thriller) is effective as few (if there are any) Hollywood movies in depicting human behaviour. The Oscar not given to Cobb (his final falling apart moved me now that I heard it in english) is an even more shameful fact than the one not given to Tuco, as here there were not problems with the nationality of the movie. Warden is just as huge.  10\10  

« Last Edit: April 11, 2009, 01:32:12 PM by titoli » Logged

Groggy
Bounty Killer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5756 on: April 11, 2009, 01:46:38 PM »

12 Angry Men . I finally saw the dvd sfter having watched it 3-4 times dubbed. It has some defects (the sometime waving of the blue, red and white, basically; also some performance, like Sweeney's) but I think that, apart from being a great thriller (with all the limitations of a thriller) is effective as few (if there are any) Hollywood movies in depicting human behaviour. The Oscar not given to Cobb (his final falling apart moved me now that I heard it in english) is an even more shameful fact than the one not given to Tuco, as here there were not problems with the nationality of the movie. Warden is just as huge.  10\10  

Hear hear! Afro

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #5757 on: April 11, 2009, 06:58:00 PM »

12 Angry Men Afro

Rocco e i suoi fratelli (1960) 10/10  Afro

« Last Edit: April 11, 2009, 07:00:47 PM by cigar joe » Logged

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
Groggy
Bounty Killer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5758 on: April 11, 2009, 07:38:06 PM »

Adventureland - 8/10 - I think I had the exact opposite of FC's reaction to the film. I went in with questionable expectations and was rewarded with a funny, heart-warming and very real film. And yes, Kristen Stewart is fucking hot.

titoli
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #5759 on: April 11, 2009, 07:47:35 PM »

Lean's Brief Encounter . 2\10

Pages: 1 ... 382 383 [384] 385 386 ... 1162 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM