Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 11, 2017, 04:02:43 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Other/Miscellaneous
| |-+  Off-Topic Discussion (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Rate The Last Movie You Saw
Pages: 1 ... 387 388 [389] 390 391 ... 1169 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Rate The Last Movie You Saw  (Read 1831774 times)
titoli
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #5820 on: April 15, 2009, 06:58:35 PM »

Your opinion coincides with those at IMDB. HP private eye in St. Petersburg, well...of course, lots of work I imagine. And he can speak fluent russian.
I'll pass up on these, thanx.

moviesceleton
Bounty Killer

The glance that makes holes in the silver screen

View Profile
« Reply #5821 on: April 16, 2009, 04:24:25 AM »

Gomorra (2008) - 8/10

"Once Upon a Time in America gets ten-minute ovation at Cannes"
marmota-b
Bounty Killer

It's perfect timing, large one...

View Profile
« Reply #5822 on: April 16, 2009, 11:39:46 AM »

Kautokeino-opprřret / The Kautokeino Rebellion - 8/10

The second of the two Saami films (from the same director, if I remember right) we watched on the course of Northern Saami I was on these two weeks. I can't help myself and think Ofelaš was slightly better... simpler and better. Even though I didn't understand it much, while we watched this one with Czech subtitles.

The story of Kautokeino Rebellion is a powerful story of powerless people - the Saami that were oppressed by Norwegian tradesmen, mostly alcohol sellers, in 19th century. The film also shows how the alcohol traders were supported by a priest on the basis of being Norwegian and therefore civilised, while the Saami were the wild indigenous people. (The priest's behavior made me totally sympathise with the Saami and wonder why on earth did they not revolt earlier. Especially in comparison with the two other priests who were in the film and behaved much more considerately.) In the end the Saami revolted against the tradesmen, which resulted in acts of violence they paid for... although the scale of the whole thing was actually much smaller than it sounds, which might be one of the letdowns of the film. Not that I'd want it to twist historical facts to make it more thrilling, not at all. I'd just want all that bulding up - a really good building up - to end in something more powerful cinematographically... the actual revolt was rather a short and quick scene in the film and it ended before I fully grasped the fact that it began. Even though the way it began, with some of the Saami appearing in the snow, was definitely a powerful image. Smiley
Also, I didn't like the music here as much as I liked that in Ofelaš. And I couldn't help but feel that the framework storytelling of a woman involved in the rebellion was rather cliché-ish...

However, all this ranting is mostly to explain why I think Ofelaš was better. And if you want to see a film with a lot of snow and a lot of reindeer...

There are two kinds of films in this world:those which stay,even when their genre is forgotten,and those which don't.
Tuco the ugly
« Reply #5823 on: April 16, 2009, 04:41:02 PM »

Your opinion coincides with those at IMDB. HP private eye in St. Petersburg, well...of course, lots of work I imagine. And he can speak fluent russian.
I'll pass up on these, thanx.

No problem.

titoli
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #5824 on: April 16, 2009, 06:59:43 PM »

The Fourth Protocol - 6\10. This movie made me think often of Oskar Homolka.

moviesceleton
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #5825 on: April 17, 2009, 01:54:02 AM »

The Great Silence (1968) - 8.5/10
The best non-Leone SW I've seen. Oh hell, it could be even 9/10.

Groggy
Bounty Killer

This post gets Agnew's stamp of approval!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5826 on: April 17, 2009, 01:09:48 PM »

Three Kings - 9/10 - A great war (or post-war, really) movie that is probably more relevant and interesting post-9/11 than it was when it first came out. Certainly it's miles better and more entertaining than most of the crap that's come out since 9/11 (Syriana, The Kingdom, Body of Lies). I do find it amusing though that the film is so critical of the US's refusal to go into Iraq and help the anti-Saddam movement after the First Gulf War...  Cheesy

Saturday nights with Groggy
moviesceleton
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #5827 on: April 17, 2009, 01:32:53 PM »

Shoot the Pianist (1960) - 8/10
The atmosphere is at times even hysterical although it didn't make me laugh. And the story is actually pretty epic for an 80-minute movie.

Kurug3n
Bounty Killer

Que pasa?

View Profile
« Reply #5828 on: April 17, 2009, 07:30:01 PM »

Crank 2 High Voltage

Too insane to rate

titoli
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #5829 on: April 17, 2009, 08:21:28 PM »

The Eagle Has Landed - Probably the worst Sturgess movie. And, in the same movie genre, only Eye of the Needle is worse. Boring as hell for more than a hour,it suddenly becomes Keystone Cops before it starts moving but without suspense, which is what makes these movies tick. Very bad performance by Duvall (the way he moves his hands, like Col. Kilgore would do, not certainly a german officer). Caine is absolutely unconvincing too. But Pleasance is the ultimate Himmler. And Sutherland is very good, but his scenes slow down the action. Agutter is ugly. But the surprise ending (which seems never to arrive in the 145' version I saw) makes me give it 4\10 instead of 3\10.

Silenzio
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #5830 on: April 17, 2009, 09:22:23 PM »

The atmosphere is at times even hysterical although it didn't make me laugh. And the story is actually pretty epic for an 80-minute movie.

For optimal viewing: watch the first minutes in italian with english subs (right up till the first scene with Kinski).  I find the dubbing is not very good in the first little bit and can kill the mood of the movie, but after that first little bit it all gets better.  I don't know, i always enjoyed the movie a lot more that way.

And i'd definitely agree on the 9/10.

Enjoyable but not the most memorable.  Check out Melville's Le Doulos as many members have recommended here.  You won't regret it.

noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5831 on: April 17, 2009, 09:26:22 PM »

Amazing post.

New music video: ZOMBIE APOCALYPSE https://youtu.be/p968oyMo5B0
www.ThibautOskian.com
T.H.
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #5832 on: April 17, 2009, 09:38:01 PM »

TWBB is to cinema as a 458 ft foul ball is to baseball.

Claudia, we need you to appear in LOST COMMAND. It's gonna revolutionize the war genre. What did you think of the script?
moviesceleton
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #5833 on: April 18, 2009, 06:16:13 AM »

For optimal viewing: watch the first minutes in italian with english subs (right up till the first scene with Kinski).  I find the dubbing is not very good in the first little bit and can kill the mood of the movie, but after that first little bit it all gets better.  I don't know, i always enjoyed the movie a lot more that way.
I take it that you are talking about The Great Silence. I watched it in Italian with Finnish subs. BTW, does anybody else think Kinski's voice is way gay?

moviesceleton
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #5834 on: April 18, 2009, 08:57:48 AM »

Paris, je t'aime (2006) - 7/10

Pages: 1 ... 387 388 [389] 390 391 ... 1169 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM