Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 19, 2017, 02:20:19 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Other/Miscellaneous
| |-+  Off-Topic Discussion (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Rate The Last Movie You Saw
Pages: 1 ... 389 390 [391] 392 393 ... 1162 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Rate The Last Movie You Saw  (Read 1763103 times)
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

View Profile
« Reply #5850 on: April 20, 2009, 06:31:12 PM »

Sue Lyons grows more annoying as the film goes along.
I may be wrong, but I think that's kind of the point (Kubrick's, not necessarily Nabokov's). Part of Humbert Humbert's tragedy is that the object of his affection is unworthy of him. In the movie, HH comes to that belated realization, although he continues to believe that Lolita once possessed an attractiveness she has since lost. He blames Quilty for the loss, thus his final move to revenge himself on his rival. But, needless to say, HH is delusional--Lolita has never been anything more than a construction in his own mind. Dolores Hayes, the real person, was always an annoying brat.

I don't disagree with your overall assessment. I almost never sit through the whole movie anymore: I usually just watch the prologue and then a few select scenes.

Hey, if you think Sue Lyons is annoying in this film, you should check her out in Night of the Iguana.

That's what you get, Drink, for getting out of bed this morning.
titoli
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #5851 on: April 20, 2009, 07:14:08 PM »

À bout de souffle I remembered it was better, but maybe the italian dubbing was responsible for that. Still a great movie. great music. Jean Seberg is beyond wonderful.

noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5852 on: April 20, 2009, 11:33:37 PM »

Lolita - 6/10 - I've never read the novel and really I don't care. WAY too long; I don't see how there's enough material here to spread out over two and a half hours, and the movie drags like nobody's business. Well-directed by Kubrick but not terribly cinematic. James Mason was fabulous and he was reason alone to stick out the film's interminable 153 minutes. Shelley Winters was great although made a sadly early exit. Peter Sellers on the other hand is simply annoying and Sue Lyons grows more annoying as the film goes along. Glad I got through it at least once, though.

The usual explaination for the overlength feeling is the movie's structure: it's a 5 acts movie; which means it is 2 movies: the regular structure, up to the point where he seducts her, and then another movie begins (what happened before becoming an overlong first act).

I don't know if it is true but i've read quite a few time that it's the only movie that Kubrick wished he had not done (may be with Spartacus, but it is not the same).

« Last Edit: April 20, 2009, 11:35:18 PM by noodles_leone » Logged

New music video: ZOMBIE APOCALYPSE https://youtu.be/p968oyMo5B0
www.ThibautOskian.com
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #5853 on: April 21, 2009, 07:33:54 AM »

Don't buy the 2-movies-in-one idea (the prologue, which is the ending moved forward, makes that impossible), but I'm open to the 5-act structure idea. I'll have to see what Thomas Allen Nelson has to say about that . . .

moviesceleton
Bounty Killer

The glance that makes holes in the silver screen

View Profile
« Reply #5854 on: April 21, 2009, 10:47:49 AM »

Munich (2005) - 8.5/10
I'm not sure if I like the montage at the end... But anyway it's an intelligent and great movie.

"Once Upon a Time in America gets ten-minute ovation at Cannes"
noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5855 on: April 21, 2009, 02:23:02 PM »

Munich (2005) - 8.5/10
I'm not sure if I like the montage at the end... But anyway it's an intelligent and great movie.

SPOILER

During the love scene? The most ridiculous montage ever. Made everybody laugh in most cinemas. Strange they didn't edit it after a test screening (that was easy, since the flash back itself is very powerful and greatly done: they only had to cut the 3 or 4 shots of him in the bed).

END SPOILER

Appart from that and the main actor, I love the movie, very underrated IMO.
Have you noticed how Spielberg spoiled all of his movies of the 2000's during the last minutes? It began with Saving Private Ryan (ok, 1998), which has a stupid hollywoodian and patriotic ending; then, with AI, it's more a structural problem (20 successive endings); Minority Report (SPOILER: sundenly, the wife comes and everything turns out great; some people even said the end was all a dream END SPOILER); Catch Me If You Can (what the heck with that postcard and cliché vision of France? We don't have snow, this is not winter everyday, and our jails don't look like middle age dongeons); The Terminal sucked as a whole; War of the World has a hollywood ending whereas the whole movie is almost a manifesto against hollywood action movies; wee've already been talking baout Munich; and the last scene of Indiana Jones 4 is the greatest betrayal of all time of the audience.

All of these movies, appart from Indinana Jones and The Terminal, being very very good movies (at least very interesting) up to that point.

www.ThibautOskian.com
Groggy
Bounty Killer

This post gets Agnew's stamp of approval!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5856 on: April 21, 2009, 05:19:06 PM »

Munich is quite possibly my favorite Spielberg film. I didn't have a problem with the montage at the end myself, but I guess that's a valid complaint.

Saturday nights with Groggy
moviesceleton
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #5857 on: April 22, 2009, 12:10:02 AM »

Have you noticed how Spielberg spoiled all of his movies of the 2000's during the last minutes? It began with Saving Private Ryan (ok, 1998), which has a stupid hollywoodian and patriotic ending; then, with AI, it's more a structural problem (20 successive endings); Minority Report (SPOILER: sundenly, the wife comes and everything turns out great; some people even said the end was all a dream END SPOILER); Catch Me If You Can (what the heck with that postcard and cliché vision of France? We don't have snow, this is not winter everyday, and our jails don't look like middle age dongeons); The Terminal sucked as a whole; War of the World has a hollywood ending whereas the whole movie is almost a manifesto against hollywood action movies; wee've already been talking baout Munich; and the last scene of Indiana Jones 4 is the greatest betrayal of all time of the audience.

All of these movies, appart from Indinana Jones and The Terminal, being very very good movies (at least very interesting) up to that point.
I give you Saving Private Ryan. But there's absolutely nothing wrong with the ending of A.I.; it almost makes me cry every time. Can't remember Minority Report clearly. I guess your complaint about Catch Me If You Can is valid as you are French but it didn't bother me. The Terminal is always in danger of being sucky but it manages not to be. Can't remember how War of the Worlds ends exactly but what I do remember is that the whole movie sucks like Paris Hilton. And the wedding... Tongue

That's my two cents Smiley

Tuco the ugly
« Reply #5858 on: April 22, 2009, 12:37:46 PM »

Swimming with Sharks (1994) - 6.27/10

Somewhat good.

Jill
Bounty Killer

This time I did

View Profile
« Reply #5859 on: April 22, 2009, 01:26:05 PM »

Billy Budd (1962, directed by Peter Ustinov) 9.8/10

So, first I read the book, then I watched the opera, then I just had to get the movie... I'm addicted now.

First of all, the movie is a must-see for all who love good ol' Robert Ryan! He's playing one of cinema history's greatest villains here. A silent, smiling sadist. Terrific. This is not the tormented Deke Thornton, this is the very DEVIL.  Evil Master-at-Arms John Claggart, respectively, aka the lovechild of Iago and Frank.

This dudes hates the naive, pretty, angelic Billy (very young and very adorable Terence Stamp - just perfect) so wildly that it's suspicious. He doesn't really have a reason, for the boy good-hearted and understands him and dares to see a human being in our bad guy. However, the tragedy is unstoppable, for Melville was a pessimist. (And subtext is there.)

Captain Vere, the noble-hearted man trapped between law and justice is Peter Ustinov himself. He is a big surprise for one who used to think of him as Lentulus Batiatus. Here he's a stern, serious philosopher, and has a very big authority and dignity. Well, that's what a I call a great actor.

The supporting characters are are well-casted, so, the film is perfect in its genre, and a faithful, artifical adaptation. Absolutely worth watching. At least for show-stealer Ryan.

"Does this unit have a soul?"
The Firecracker
Bounty Killer

Rub me the wrong way, and I'll go off in your face

View Profile
« Reply #5860 on: April 22, 2009, 01:47:59 PM »

It's cool to dislike SPR now for some reason but I don't see why.
The ending in the cemetery is a total cliche but I really don't care too much.
I don't remember AI all that much but I do remember liking its take on Pinocchio (whether or not that is what Kubrick had in mind I really don't care).
Catch Me If You Can I've seen a bit of and liked what I've seen but I have no real motivation to watch the whole thing.
War Of The Worlds was pretty awesome for the first hour. The moment they meet up with Tim Robins the movie is spoiled for me and the less said about the ending, the better.
The Terminal was a suprisingly good comedy but it suffers from being about half an hour too long.

and the last scene of Indiana Jones 4 is the greatest betrayal of all time of the audience.

Which scene? The last one at the wedding?
I think you're talking about the reveal of the aliens, right?

The Official COMIN' AT YA! re-release site
http://cominatyanoir3d.com/
Groggy
Bounty Killer

This post gets Agnew's stamp of approval!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5861 on: April 22, 2009, 03:33:25 PM »

Nixon - 9/10 - WTF has happened to Oliver Stone since the '90s?

Saturday nights with Groggy
noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5862 on: April 22, 2009, 03:37:41 PM »

It's cool to dislike SPR now for some reason but I don't see why.
The ending in the cemetery is a total cliche but I really don't care too much.
I don't remember AI all that much but I do remember liking its take on Pinocchio (whether or not that is what Kubrick had in mind I really don't care).
Catch Me If You Can I've seen a bit of and liked what I've seen but I have no real motivation to watch the whole thing.
War Of The Worlds was pretty awesome for the first hour. The moment they meet up with Tim Robins the movie is spoiled for me and the less said about the ending, the better.
The Terminal was a suprisingly good comedy but it suffers from being about half an hour too long.

Which scene? The last one at the wedding?
I think you're talking about the reveal of the aliens, right?

Spoilers all over the place:

SPR: as I said, i'm criticising the ending. I love the movie.
War Of The Worlds: why don't you like the tim robins scene?? I love it! that's the greatest strength of the movie: Tom has to do things that are more and more immoral to protect his family. Steal a car, let a guy die, don't let refugees go into the car, and finally killing someone.
Indiana Jones: the wedding scene. I HATE it.

www.ThibautOskian.com
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #5863 on: April 22, 2009, 06:42:56 PM »

First of all, the movie is a must-see for all who love good ol' Robert Ryan! He's playing one of cinema history's greatest villains here. A silent, smiling sadist. Terrific. This is not the tormented Deke Thornton, this is the very DEVIL.  Evil Master-at-Arms John Claggart, respectively, aka the lovechild of Iago and Frank.

You've sold me! I'm ordering the DVD today.

moviesceleton
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #5864 on: April 23, 2009, 09:58:50 AM »

La grande illusion (1937) - 9/10

Pages: 1 ... 389 390 [391] 392 393 ... 1162 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM