Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 18, 2017, 06:12:53 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Other/Miscellaneous
| |-+  Off-Topic Discussion (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Rate The Last Movie You Saw
Pages: 1 ... 395 396 [397] 398 399 ... 1162 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Rate The Last Movie You Saw  (Read 1761721 times)
Groggy
Bounty Killer

This post gets Agnew's stamp of approval!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5940 on: May 01, 2009, 12:36:58 PM »

Rough Riders - 9/10 - 2nd viewing

Saturday nights with Groggy
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

View Profile
« Reply #5941 on: May 01, 2009, 04:24:19 PM »

Trail Street (1947) - 5/10. Randolph Scott and Robert Ryan together again for the first time! Too bad it's on account of the evil cattlemen afflicting the virtuous farmers. When was Hollywood ever going to get around to making a film about saintly cattlemen and satanic farmers? This flick also has a couple of love interests, the goody-goody girl and the saloon tart who turns out to be the more principled of the two. Yeah, that formula got worked a bit. And did I mention the main situation has to do with a couple of locked-up hooligans and the gang that's determined to break them out? Featuring the obnoxious "Gabby" Hayes in the Walter Brennan/Arthur Hunnicutt role. There's also a sub-plot about Robert Ryan discovering that Winter wheat is the miracle crop that's going to save Kansas and make it the bread-basket of the nation. The only truly inventive bit of visual narration has him coming upon the discovery suddenly and unexpectedly. Otherwise, the film is pedestrian in the extreme.

"A frame within the frame! Wait until my friend Sergio sees this!"

That's what you get, Drink, for getting out of bed this morning.
Tuco the ugly
« Reply #5942 on: May 02, 2009, 06:22:37 AM »

Trixie (2000) - 2.5/10

Bah, I don't know what this is, honestly.

Kurug3n
Bounty Killer

Que pasa?

View Profile
« Reply #5943 on: May 02, 2009, 12:22:30 PM »

Bug-9/10

what a fucking trip

Tuco the ugly
« Reply #5944 on: May 02, 2009, 02:20:51 PM »

U.S. Marshals (1998) - 5/10

Kurug3n
Bounty Killer

Que pasa?

View Profile
« Reply #5945 on: May 02, 2009, 07:06:19 PM »

Coffee and Cigarettes

Dont really know what to rate it.

Tuco the ugly
« Reply #5946 on: May 02, 2009, 07:31:44 PM »

What's New Pussycat (1965) - 2/10

A comedy that is all but funny.

Groggy
Bounty Killer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5947 on: May 03, 2009, 09:39:42 AM »

My Darling Clementine - 8/10 - 2nd viewing many years in between. I liked it a lot more than the first time; although elements of it are dated and hokey (and it's one of the most historically inaccurate films ever), it's quite possibly the best example of the archetypical Western myth out there. Plus the cast, Ford's stylish, noir-esque direction, and the plethoa of iconic Western moments, it's definitely a much better film than I gave it credit for in my first viewing.

moviesceleton
Bounty Killer

The glance that makes holes in the silver screen

View Profile
« Reply #5948 on: May 03, 2009, 02:53:19 PM »

Baisers volÚs (1968) "Stolen Kisses" - 6.5/10

"Once Upon a Time in America gets ten-minute ovation at Cannes"
T.H.
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #5949 on: May 03, 2009, 05:06:43 PM »

Several good points. Yes, every director works differently, and sometimes directors even change their working methods over the course of their careers, so each project has to be assessed separately. The auteurist idea is useful, though, because particular directors do seem to be responsible for bodies of work that cohere in terms of ideas and themes.

I'll take a shot at your list, although I'd appreciate it if you didn't hold me to what I say. I'm more or less thinking out loud.

I distinguish between Anthony Mann pictures and Anthony-Mann-with-John-Alton pictures. Alton has to be considered a co-auteur, at least. The Mann/Alton pictures represent a coherent body of work with a unified worldview and consistent aesthetic values. I don't know any other way to put it.

Robert Wise is a very good craftsman on the order of Wyler and Zinnemann. He tends to be an adapter of other people's work, and therefore, no consistent worldview emerges from his oeuvre.

Teshigahara, it seems to me, successfully adapts the work of novelist Kobo Abe without significantly altering it.

John Ford made so many films that pegging him is no simple task. I suspect we can find examples of hard, soft, and non-auterism over the course of his career.

Jarmusch strikes me as an auteur: regardless of whether he uses Robby Muller or Christopher Doyle as his cameraman, the things that make a Jarmusch film distinctively Jarmusch-like invariably emerge. Collaboration within a group is just one of the techniques a director may use to achieve his distinctive vision.

Bunuel seems to have made two different kinds of film: those adapted from sources in other media, and wholly original works generated with the help of screenwriters. I much prefer the former to the latter. Anyway, you can really tell the difference.

This is more or less a thought exercise; I won't be working up any of this for publication.

I pretty much agree with you, well, not on the Bunuel preference. thanks for giving your input and I'll compromise and say that I accept the AT to a certain degree.

Claudia, we need you to appear in LOST COMMAND. It's gonna revolutionize the war genre. What did you think of the script?
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

View Profile
« Reply #5950 on: May 03, 2009, 06:16:53 PM »

What say we use the AT when it's useful, and not when it's not?

That's what you get, Drink, for getting out of bed this morning.
T.H.
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #5951 on: May 03, 2009, 09:44:11 PM »

What say we use the AT when it's useful, and not when it's not?

I'm down with that.

Claudia, we need you to appear in LOST COMMAND. It's gonna revolutionize the war genre. What did you think of the script?
titoli
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #5952 on: May 04, 2009, 09:45:02 AM »

Star Wars : The Prequel Trilogy

I  7\10
II 6\10
III 6\10

moviesceleton
Bounty Killer

The glance that makes holes in the silver screen

View Profile
« Reply #5953 on: May 04, 2009, 10:24:38 AM »

Star Wars : The Prequel Trilogy

I  7\10
II 6\10
III 6\10
The insanity. How is the first episode better than the third (other than it has the best sword fight in the history of cinema)?

"Once Upon a Time in America gets ten-minute ovation at Cannes"
Groggy
Bounty Killer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5954 on: May 04, 2009, 11:37:33 AM »

Enchanted - 7/10 - Silly but fun. And Amy Adams is absolutely irresistibly adorable.

Pages: 1 ... 395 396 [397] 398 399 ... 1162 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM