Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 22, 2017, 12:27:36 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Other/Miscellaneous
| |-+  Off-Topic Discussion (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Rate The Last Movie You Saw
Pages: 1 ... 401 402 [403] 404 405 ... 1162 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Rate The Last Movie You Saw  (Read 1767284 times)
moviesceleton
Bounty Killer

The glance that makes holes in the silver screen

View Profile
« Reply #6030 on: May 12, 2009, 01:44:17 PM »

Generation Kill (2008) - 10/10
Simply a-fucking-mazing. Possibly the best TV series ever made.

"Once Upon a Time in America gets ten-minute ovation at Cannes"
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

View Profile
« Reply #6031 on: May 12, 2009, 02:51:01 PM »

Generation Kill (2008) - 10/10
Simply a-fucking-mazing. Possibly the best TV series ever made.
Uh, I hate to seem pedantic, but isn't this thread about, you know, movies?

That's what you get, Drink, for getting out of bed this morning.
titoli
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #6032 on: May 12, 2009, 03:09:55 PM »

Donnie Brasco - 7\10

PowerRR
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #6033 on: May 12, 2009, 03:55:03 PM »

Uh, I hate to seem pedantic, but isn't this thread about, you know, movies?
Oh NO! SOMEBODY HAS BROKEN THE STRICT CODE OF LAW!!! BAN HIM!!! DELETE THE IMPURE THREAD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #6034 on: May 12, 2009, 06:00:40 PM »

Fine. No thread topic shall be respected. Let chaos reign.

moviesceleton
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #6035 on: May 13, 2009, 02:04:57 AM »

Fine. No thread topic shall be respected. Let chaos reign.
I presume your dream job would be arranging index cards Roll Eyes I was going to post in the correct thread about the series but I didn't feel like typing anything more than two sentences at the moment. I'll elaborate in the appropriate thread when/if I feel like it.

moviesceleton
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #6036 on: May 13, 2009, 03:21:57 AM »

Cléo de 5 à 7 (1962) - 7/10

T.H.
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #6037 on: May 13, 2009, 10:35:41 AM »

Cléo de 5 à 7 (1962) - 7/10

did you love the first hour but thought it fell off once she visited her filmmaker friend? maybe one of the most disappointing third acts that I've ever seen.

Claudia, we need you to appear in LOST COMMAND. It's gonna revolutionize the war genre. What did you think of the script?
moviesceleton
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #6038 on: May 13, 2009, 10:58:09 AM »

did you love the first hour but thought it fell off once she visited her filmmaker friend? maybe one of the most disappointing third acts that I've ever seen.
Something like that. At some point towards the end I found myself thinking: "Is this the same movie I began watching?"

Any idea why it's "from 5 to 7" although the movie ends at 6.30? Anyway, it didn't feel like an uninterrupted hour and a half to me.

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #6039 on: May 13, 2009, 11:22:34 AM »

Something like that. At some point towards the end I found myself thinking: "Is this the same movie I began watching?"

Any idea why it's "from 5 to 7" although the movie ends at 6.30? Anyway, it didn't feel like an uninterrupted hour and a half to me.
My understanding is that Varda was playing a mind game with her audience, promising them a 2 hour film and then surprising them with only 90 minutes. I hadn't observed this myself, but in one of the supplements to the latest video edition to the film, someone goes through and shows how Varda played fair: all the clocks show the correct time for continuity purposes, even when the clocks are too obscure to be noticed by the viewer.

I agree that the first half is better than the second. There is so much invention at the beginning: the color inserts during the card reading; the trip to the hat shop; the taxi ride; the visit by the songwriters to the apartment; the weird streetlife scenes; the visit to the nude model; the visit to the cinema and the viewing of the ersatz silent film staring Godard and Anna K. Great, great, stuff. By the time of the soldier in the park, though, the film is really running out of gas. It gets talky and not very interesting. Then the ending is kinda anticlimactic. Not terrible, but the second half certainly doesn't live up to the promise of the first.

titoli
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #6040 on: May 13, 2009, 12:05:49 PM »

Spartan (2004) - 4\10

titoli
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #6041 on: May 13, 2009, 12:09:14 PM »

Breach (2007)  - 6\10

T.H.
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #6042 on: May 13, 2009, 01:10:20 PM »

My understanding is that Varda was playing a mind game with her audience, promising them a 2 hour film and then surprising them with only 90 minutes. I hadn't observed this myself, but in one of the supplements to the latest video edition to the film, someone goes through and shows how Varda played fair: all the clocks show the correct time for continuity purposes, even when the clocks are too obscure to be noticed by the viewer.

I agree that the first half is better than the second. There is so much invention at the beginning: the color inserts during the card reading; the trip to the hat shop; the taxi ride; the visit by the songwriters to the apartment; the weird streetlife scenes; the visit to the nude model; the visit to the cinema and the viewing of the ersatz silent film staring Godard and Anna K. Great, great, stuff. By the time of the soldier in the park, though, the film is really running out of gas. It gets talky and not very interesting. Then the ending is kinda anticlimactic. Not terrible, but the second half certainly doesn't live up to the promise of the first.

The soldier bit just drags and drags and drags and drags - then they ride in a bus for thirty minutes or something. This has to be the worst dropoff that I've seen. I can't even think of anything that compares. I've seen countless movies with less than stellar conclusions but never have I seen a movie so inventive be turned into muck so quickly.

Claudia, we need you to appear in LOST COMMAND. It's gonna revolutionize the war genre. What did you think of the script?
Groggy
Bounty Killer

This post gets Agnew's stamp of approval!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6043 on: May 13, 2009, 05:21:24 PM »

Miss Pettigrew Lives For A Day - 7/10 - Fun piece of fluff, with Amy Adams adorable as usual, and fine supporting performances by Frances McDormand and Ciaran Hinds. Not much more to say.

The Man Who Would Be King - 8/10 - 3rd viewing.

Saturday nights with Groggy
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #6044 on: May 13, 2009, 09:30:08 PM »

Breezy (1973) - 6/10. Old guy nails young talent in this Eastwood-directed feature. Bill Holden is the cradle robber who has forgotten how to love. Kay Lenz is the ditsy girl with the great knockers--which she displays every chance she gets--who brings him back to life. There's even a homely dog. Hey, don't take my word for it: http://www.hulu.com/watch/65514/breezy

Pages: 1 ... 401 402 [403] 404 405 ... 1162 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM