Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 11, 2017, 04:36:43 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Other/Miscellaneous
| |-+  Off-Topic Discussion (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Rate The Last Movie You Saw
Pages: 1 ... 404 405 [406] 407 408 ... 1169 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Rate The Last Movie You Saw  (Read 1830941 times)
uncknown
Gunslinger

What about me?

View Profile
« Reply #6075 on: May 15, 2009, 02:43:56 PM »

FWIU, the movie is very different from the book. So different, in fact, that Ken Kesey, the novel's author, vowed never to watch it. I believe he kept that vow until his death.

Actually, the main difference is that in the novel Nurse Ratched really is depicted as a monster (warning to groggy). In the film that is toned down and her more human
personality improves the story dramatically

"Other Morton's will come along  and they'll kill it off"

My article on the restoration of the The Big Gundown
http://thekinskifiles.blogspot.com/2009/01/cinemaretro-13-big-gundown.html
uncknown
Gunslinger

What about me?

View Profile
« Reply #6076 on: May 15, 2009, 02:46:26 PM »

Please explain, oh great one, what I missed. Some bullshit metaphor equating the mental hospital with American society? How deep.

If you think i am going to argue the merits of one of the greatest films of all-time with a bandito  who calls it "unwatchable..bullshit", then
you sir are insane!

« Last Edit: May 15, 2009, 03:43:06 PM by uncknown » Logged

uncknown
Gunslinger

What about me?

View Profile
« Reply #6077 on: May 15, 2009, 02:48:38 PM »

Please explain, oh great one, what I missed. Some bullshit metaphor equating the mental hospital with American society? How deep.

I am willing to bet a fistful of dollars that groggy listens to Rush Limbaugh at least three hours a day
 Grin

uncknown
Gunslinger

What about me?

View Profile
« Reply #6078 on: May 15, 2009, 02:57:55 PM »

FYI McMurphy was imprisoned for statutory "rape" .This  was a charge notorious for being used against Chuck Berry and other anti-establishment personalities (esp.in show biz).

Groggy
Bounty Killer

This post gets Agnew's stamp of approval!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6079 on: May 15, 2009, 06:54:40 PM »

If you think i am going to argue the merits of one of the greatest films of all-time with a bandito  who calls it "unwatchable..bullshit", then
you sir are insane!

No point arguing with the Almighty Uncknown! Roll Eyes

I am willing to bet a fistful of dollars that groggy listens to Rush Limbaugh at least three hours a day

Then you'd lose, because I've never listened to Limbaugh once in my whole life.

FYI McMurphy was imprisoned for statutory "rape" .This  was a charge notorious for being used against Chuck Berry and other anti-establishment personalities (esp.in show biz).

That was his first arrest. The rest were for beating the shit out of people. Perhaps you need to pay attention.

Saturday nights with Groggy
moviesceleton
Bounty Killer

The glance that makes holes in the silver screen

View Profile
« Reply #6080 on: May 16, 2009, 03:03:55 AM »

Can you give us more on this?
Well it's a symbolic and pretentious story about a girl becoming a woman. There are some interesting ideas but far too few for a two-hour picture. And the ending features a ridiculous phallus symbol. This could have been an interesting mystery story but it wasn't.

"Once Upon a Time in America gets ten-minute ovation at Cannes"
uncknown
Gunslinger

What about me?

View Profile
« Reply #6081 on: May 16, 2009, 02:28:20 PM »

One last thing Grogg...

On one level the film is a comedy
there are lotsa hysterical bits...
didn't you at least have some laughs watching it?

BTw i was mistaken about Limbaugh. i meant to say Sean Hannity and Michael Savage Grin

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

View Profile
« Reply #6082 on: May 16, 2009, 03:47:26 PM »

The Limits of Control (2009) - 7/10. A man journeys and waits; we journey with him and wait to see what he is waiting for. Then it's over. Actually, I liked much of this. I went in knowing there wasn't much of a story, which isn't a problem for me. I've been through almost all of Wim Wenders' films, and there's not much plot in many of those (as a matter of fact, TLoC feels almost like a parody of a Wenders film). But if a filmmaker is going to dispense with story, he has to give us something else in return. By and large, Jarmusch obliged: he has a wonderful sense of design and knows how to compose interesting images. He and Christopher Doyle provided so many wonderful shots of Spain I almost feel I've been there. And he commissioned an excellent soundtrack (many pieces were done by "Boris"--I must say I'm not familiar with the gentleman). He also assembled an interesting cast, although most of the name actors provide little more than cameos. But Jim was not, unfortunately, content to observe; he apparently felt the need to deliver a message, or, in this case, three. One we get over and over from the mouths of a variety of characters, something along the line of "He who would make himself bigger than others must go to the cemetery to see that life is dirt." Uh huh. And then, on the back of a pick-up late in the film, we see the Spanish for (I'm partly guessing) "Life is Meaningless." O-kaaaay. Jim keeps shooting the truck from behind, so that we see that message again and again. Is that supposed to be funny? Finally, if you wait through all the credits at the end (as I did) you will receive Jim's final communication: NO LIMITS NO CONTROL (I'm sure the Completion Bond company was glad to read that). Uh, gee, Jim, I enjoyed the pretty pictures and everything, but . . . would you STFU?!! Most people would probably rather watch Jim's previous film anyway, so I'm recommending everyone do that: http://www.hulu.com/watch/55477/broken-flowers

« Last Edit: May 16, 2009, 03:55:15 PM by dave jenkins » Logged

That's what you get, Drink, for being such an annoying Melville fanboy.
moviesceleton
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #6083 on: May 17, 2009, 02:09:10 AM »

Finally, if you wait through all the credits at the end (as I did) you will receive Jim's final communication: NO LIMITS NO CONTROL (I'm sure the Completion Bond company was glad to read that).
If this means what I think it does, it explains why IMDb had the movie listed as "No Limits, No Control" for a week or so. Anyway, thanks for the review Afro I hope I'll get to see it next month.

moviesceleton
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #6084 on: May 17, 2009, 02:24:37 AM »

Falling Down (1993) - 6.5/10
I remember liking it more when I saw it first when I was like ten or so.

Groggy
Bounty Killer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6085 on: May 17, 2009, 01:37:36 PM »

BTw i was mistaken about Limbaugh. i meant to say Sean Hannity and Michael Savage Grin

I have at least watched Hannity's show a few times, but I don't think wanting to smash his jaw in is the response he's trying to generate.

titoli
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #6086 on: May 17, 2009, 01:38:44 PM »

Stars Wars - the Trilogy

IV : 9\10
V : 7\10
VI : 8\10

Groggy
Bounty Killer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6087 on: May 17, 2009, 02:26:31 PM »

My Fair Lady - 6/10 - Second viewing, the primary affect of which is to make me wish to rewatch the infinitely-superior 1938 Pygmalion.

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

View Profile
« Reply #6088 on: May 17, 2009, 04:11:26 PM »

My Fair Lady - 6/10 - Second viewing, the primary affect of which is to make me wish to rewatch the infinitely-superior 1938 Pygmalion.
Afro. I think Lerner and Loewe really botched the music.

That's what you get, Drink, for being such an annoying Melville fanboy.
Groggy
Bounty Killer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6089 on: May 17, 2009, 04:21:45 PM »

Besides my general dislike of the musical genre (which CAN be overcome by good enough material), MFL has three major flaws:

- Audrey Hepburn is absolutely wrong as Eliza. She isn't convincing for a second as the Cockney gutter snipe, she's merely a glamorous princess waiting for a costume change. The fact that all of her songs are dubbed is just the icing on the cake. A younger Roman Holiday/Sabrina-era Hepburn in a straight adaptation of Pygmalion might have made an ideal Eliza, but not a thirty-three year old fashion goddess in a musical where she can't even sing. I love Audrey to death but she has nothing on Wendy Hiller's Eliza.

- Annoying supporting characters are significantly changed or needlessly given more screentime. Freddie, who in the original play and the '38 film is a complete dickhead, is portrayed as simply a soppy romantic. Alfred Doolittle is extremely annoying (though to be fair I've never really cared for Stanley Holloway) and his songs do nothing but bring the story to a screeching halt. What do we get out of these changes? Three lengthy and tedious musical numbers and 15-20 minutes added onto an already interminable film. At the risk of being redundant the '38 film knew who its two protagonists were and crafted a story primarily around them, with the supporting cast used sparingly. Here, their enhanced screen time is at best a distraction, at worst an annoyance.

- As opposed to the biting, witty social satire of Pygmalion, MFL is basically a fluffy cornball romance for old ladies and the more soppy individuals (male or female) out there. There are a few glimmers of Shavian wit that shine through here and there, but they're mostly drowned under the foamy protective coating of top 40 songs destined to be covered six hundred thousand times, changes in characters as noted above, colorful costumes and scenery, and of course the contrived happy ending (which, though borrowed from the 1938 film, is still horribly out-of-place and false).

The movie does have its virtues - the art direction and costume design are without peer, Rex Harrison is wonderful, SOME of the songs are good (but if that were my concern I'd buy the soundtrack album) and at least some though not enough of Shaw's wit comes through - but basically there's no reason to watch it unless one is a fan of musicals, sappy romances or Audrey Hepburn.

« Last Edit: May 17, 2009, 04:31:52 PM by Groggy » Logged

Pages: 1 ... 404 405 [406] 407 408 ... 1169 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM