Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 13, 2017, 02:31:56 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Other/Miscellaneous
| |-+  Off-Topic Discussion (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Rate The Last Movie You Saw
Pages: 1 ... 410 411 [412] 413 414 ... 1169 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Rate The Last Movie You Saw  (Read 1834051 times)
titoli
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #6165 on: June 04, 2009, 01:29:12 PM »

About Sports Movies: the best SM I've watched is Slap Shot, from 1977. George Roy Hill directed it, it stars Paul Newman, Strother Martin and other less known actors. It's a fucking blast! Hilarious, well written and directed, with one of the best performances ever from Paul Newman. I think it was even awarded as best SM ever somewhere. Entertainment rating: 10/10, classic rating 8.2/10.

I saw this in a cinema in Florence in 1980 and it was boring as hell. I think I saw it on tv too, same reaction.

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

View Profile
« Reply #6166 on: June 04, 2009, 01:36:47 PM »

Well, yeah, it's a comedy. And since you have no sense of humor, of course you'd find it boring.

That's what you get, Drink, for being such an annoying Melville fanboy.
titoli
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #6167 on: June 04, 2009, 03:26:22 PM »

Well, yeah, it's a comedy.

Well, yeah, sure.

Groggy
Bounty Killer

This post gets Agnew's stamp of approval!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6168 on: June 04, 2009, 04:03:12 PM »

They play a lot of hockey in Italy, Titoli? Cheesy

Saturday nights with Groggy
Groggy
Bounty Killer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6169 on: June 04, 2009, 04:08:26 PM »

Sense & Sensibility - 6/10 - I must admit to have enjoyed the novel (let's hear the board's "manly men" whine and taunt) but this film is nothing more than an adequate adaptation. The biggest problem, besides the sluggish pace, is that Emma Thompson is about fifteen-to-twenty years too old for Elinor; if I wasn't familiar with the novel I'd be wondering why she didn't end up with Alan Rickman, and Kate Winslet with Hugh Grant. Well-acted, nice script, some nice scenery, but no real reason to watch it unless one is a curious Austen fan (or a woman). One might also note Tom Wilkinson and Hugh Laurie in small roles.

T.H.
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #6170 on: June 04, 2009, 09:52:53 PM »

I liked slapsot as a kid but it really isn't anything I'd want to revisit anytime soon. Those Hansons were a crazy bunch though.

the "your son will have a cock in his mouth before you can say Jack Robinson" line is hilarious.

Claudia, we need you to appear in LOST COMMAND. It's gonna revolutionize the war genre. What did you think of the script?
Dust Devil
Bounty Killer

Smoke Tuco, so you can't bullshit!

View Profile
« Reply #6171 on: June 05, 2009, 07:22:03 AM »

I saw this in a cinema in Florence in 1980 and it was boring as hell. I think I saw it on tv too, same reaction.

OK, no problem, to each his own. But the funny part is you mentioned earlier you like North Dallas Forty, a movie that comes as a younger brother to Slap Shot. (Nick Nolte actually wanted so bad to be in SS but couldn't ice skate.)

No matter how cleverly you sneak up on a mirror, the reflection always looks you straight in the eye.
titoli
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #6172 on: June 05, 2009, 07:31:38 AM »

OK, no problem, to each his own. But the funny part is you mentioned earlier you like North Dallas Forty, a movie that comes as a younger brother to Slap Shot. (Nick Nolte actually wanted so bad to be in SS but couldn't ice skate.)

I don't know about brothers. I only know that I like one (which I saw 3-4 times) and I don't the other.   

Jill
Bounty Killer

This time I did

View Profile
« Reply #6173 on: June 05, 2009, 12:51:18 PM »

Gohatto (Taboo) - 7/10

Pretty movie, but I actually would have liked to SEE what happened at the end, not just some mysterious symbolism.

"Does this unit have a soul?"
Groggy
Bounty Killer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6174 on: June 05, 2009, 12:57:35 PM »

55 Days at Peking - 6-7/10 - I loved this movie as a kid, watching it every time it came on AMC or TCM, and if nothing else rewatching it as an adult, for the first time in years, is quite amusing. It's not bad but neither is it particularly good; it's ridiculously inaccurate and sanitized, history-wise and all the attempts at adding melodrama to the story (Ava Gardner's useless character and the American officer with the Chinese daughter) are laughable. It's easy to criticize the film's endorsement of imperialism and borderline racism, but in practice it plays more like a liberal United Nations fantasy of the world coming together to face a common threat - if only that were the case. Still, as spectacle it works resaonably well; the opening scene with the various countries' national anthems blaring all at once is wonderful, the art direction and set design are quite good, and the battle scenes are quite impressive. Heston is pretty stiff, aside from a nice scene with the Chinese girl, Gardner can't keep a Russian accent for more than two words; Niven does most of the heavy lifting, acting-wise, and there are some nice supporting turns from Flora Robson and Harry Andrews. Plus the DVD quality was pretty bad, but that's hardly the movie's fault. This is one of those old movies that really seems to scream for a remake; we know so much more now about the Boxer Rebellion that a good director, writer and cast could almost certainly make a far-better film than this entertaining but dated, inaccurate and highly sanitized account.

PS: I will note though, that this may very well be the first Hollywood film in which the word "shit" was uttered. It's also the first Hollywood movie to feature martial arts in a protracted sequence.

« Last Edit: June 05, 2009, 04:07:03 PM by Groggy » Logged

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

View Profile
« Reply #6175 on: June 05, 2009, 01:52:13 PM »

Il Grido (1957) - 6/10. Antonioni on the cusp of becoming Antonioni: a dubbed Steve Cochran plays Aldo, a hunky unemployed mechanic who moves about looking for work after his long-time lover, Irma (Alida Valli), kicks him out. Not a problem, however, as there seems to be no shortage of women willing to take him in and see to his comforts. This isn't good enough for old Aldo, though, who soon tires of each conquest before moving on. Is the peripatetic Aldo expressing his alienation from capitalist society? Or is he a testament to the eros-is-sick philosophy Antonioni would later avow? Neither, as it happens--he just misses Irma. L'Aventurra this ain't. The movie works pretty well as long as Aldo has his young daughter in tow--but once she's out of the picture a lot of the interest in Aldo and his predicament dissipates (the one major fault I see in mature Antonioni is the near total absence of children in the films--a fault his most faithful disciple, Wim Wenders, has been careful to avoid). And when Aldo finally tries to return to Irma, Antonioni really loses the plot. The ending is pathetic, in more ways than one. Antonioni would give up working class subjects after this film; apparently, the meanderings of the wealthy were just so much more meaningful.

That's what you get, Drink, for being such an annoying Melville fanboy.
The Peacemaker
Bounty Killer

OH SH*T!

View Profile
« Reply #6176 on: June 05, 2009, 02:14:48 PM »

Chisum -  10/10

Rip, roarin' western fun! About 65 % historically accurate too. John Wayne, as usual, is badass and supporting actors Ben Johnson, Forrest Tucker, and co. give equally good performances.

SPOILER AHEAD

The climax where Wayne and Tucker fight in a burning building and then wrestle each other off the balcony has to be one of the most awesome climaxes to any western.

T.H.
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #6177 on: June 05, 2009, 03:02:27 PM »

Il Grido (1957) - 6/10. Antonioni on the cusp of becoming Antonioni: a dubbed Steve Cochran plays Aldo, a hunky unemployed mechanic who moves about looking for work after his long-time lover, Irma (Alida Valli), kicks him out. Not a problem, however, as there seems to be no shortage of women willing to take him in and see to his comforts. This isn't good enough for old Aldo, though, who soon tires of each conquest before moving on. Is the peripatetic Aldo expressing his alienation from capitalist society? Or is he a testament to the eros-is-sick philosophy Antonioni would later avow? Neither, as it happens--he just misses Irma. L'Aventurra this ain't. The movie works pretty well as long as Aldo has his young daughter in tow--but once she's out of the picture a lot of the interest in Aldo and his predicament dissipates (the one major fault I see in mature Antonioni is the near total absence of children in the films--a fault his most faithful disciple, Wim Wenders, has been careful to avoid). And when Aldo finally tries to return to Irma, Antonioni really loses the plot. The ending is pathetic, in more ways than one. Antonioni would give up working class subjects after this film; apparently, the meanderings of the wealthy were just so much more meaningful.

You summed this one up rather nicely, Jenkins.

Chisum -  10/10

Rip, roarin' western fun! About 65 % historically accurate too. John Wayne, as usual, is badass and supporting actors Ben Johnson, Forrest Tucker, and co. give equally good performances.

Really? You gave an Andrew V. "Mitchell", er, McLaglen vehicle a ten? I guess I'll have to check this out.

« Last Edit: June 05, 2009, 03:08:59 PM by Tuco Harmonica » Logged

Claudia, we need you to appear in LOST COMMAND. It's gonna revolutionize the war genre. What did you think of the script?
stanton
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #6178 on: June 05, 2009, 03:49:56 PM »

Chisum -  10/10

SPOILER AHEAD

The climax where Wayne and Tucker fight in a burning building and then wrestle each other off the balcony has to be one of the most awesome climaxes to any western.

Sounds like a parody on an IMDB posting.

I would give Chisum a 4/10 with the feeling of probably overrating it.

Groggy
Bounty Killer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6179 on: June 05, 2009, 04:03:43 PM »

Chisum is one of Wayne's worst movies. A four might be generous.

Pages: 1 ... 410 411 [412] 413 414 ... 1169 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM