Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 20, 2017, 03:56:35 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Other/Miscellaneous
| |-+  Off-Topic Discussion (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Rate The Last Movie You Saw
Pages: 1 ... 416 417 [418] 419 420 ... 1162 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Rate The Last Movie You Saw  (Read 1764926 times)
PowerRR
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #6255 on: June 22, 2009, 02:34:16 PM »

I'd make fun of you for being a prude but I happen to agree about Begins.

Groggy
Bounty Killer

This post gets Agnew's stamp of approval!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6256 on: June 22, 2009, 02:35:21 PM »

A prude?

Saturday nights with Groggy
Colonel GŁnther Ruiz
« Reply #6257 on: June 22, 2009, 03:59:45 PM »

I had problems with Burton's two Batman movies but his best moments (such as the nightmarish scene where Wayne loses his parents) are better than anything from Nolan's Begins or Knight.

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

View Profile
« Reply #6258 on: June 22, 2009, 04:04:15 PM »

A prude?
Yeah, RR, WTF?

That's what you get, Drink, for getting out of bed this morning.
Colonel GŁnther Ruiz
« Reply #6259 on: June 22, 2009, 04:16:09 PM »

Well no, I couldn't really agree with that.

I'm thinking of Blade Runner, The Duellists, Black Hawk Down, Hannibal, etc.  Alien was at least entertaining, a good dark house ride.   Smiley

PowerRR
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #6260 on: June 22, 2009, 04:32:15 PM »

i just like to be a big 'ole asshole nowadays.

Heat - 8.5/10
Feels unfinished at the end but a very good crime thriller/drama.

Broken Blossoms or the Yellow Man and the Girl
- 3.5/10
Holy fucking boring!!! Intolerance is a great film and The Birth of a Nation is at least historically significant, but this all around sucks. The ideal silent romance is without a doubt Sunrise, not this crap.

« Last Edit: June 22, 2009, 04:33:49 PM by rrpower » Logged
Whalestoe
« Reply #6261 on: June 22, 2009, 05:07:24 PM »

I'm thinking of Blade Runner, The Duellists, Black Hawk Down, Hannibal, etc.  Alien was at least entertaining, a good dark house ride.   Smiley

What's the matter with Blade Runner?

Colonel GŁnther Ruiz
« Reply #6262 on: June 22, 2009, 05:18:09 PM »

What's the matter with Blade Runner?

Beautiful imagery but as with most Scott films it feels hollow.  Masters like Leone knew that human drama is needed to give pretty pictures any meaning.

Amaze
Bounty Killer

I don't see any method at all, sir.

View Profile
« Reply #6263 on: June 22, 2009, 06:09:51 PM »

The shootouts of course are among the best of their kind.

love that shootout outside the bank. have you seen it with surround sound? gives me a woody  Afro

Atlas2112
Bounty Killer

formerly Gay Patrick Stewart

View Profile
« Reply #6264 on: June 22, 2009, 08:06:02 PM »

Dirty Harry: 7/10

Gods and Generals: 8/10
(a low 8 )

titoli
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #6265 on: June 23, 2009, 09:40:20 AM »

No I haven't any better?

Maybe not as good as I soliti ignoti, but very good: some Gassman's jokes on football are memorable.

moviesceleton
Bounty Killer

The glance that makes holes in the silver screen

View Profile
« Reply #6266 on: June 23, 2009, 11:06:46 AM »

Broken Blossoms or the Yellow Man and the Girl
- 3.5/10
Holy fucking boring!!! Intolerance is a great film and The Birth of a Nation is at least historically significant, but this all around sucks. The ideal silent romance is without a doubt Sunrise, not this crap.
Dear Mr. Power, you are wrong. Sunrise sucks ass.

"Once Upon a Time in America gets ten-minute ovation at Cannes"
T.H.
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #6267 on: June 23, 2009, 02:07:19 PM »

How Green Was My Valley - I finally got around to seeing this and what an awful movie. It's superb technically but the plot is a mess: characters and events happen at random, new characters slide right in sans introduction. Nothing materializes, no momentum is built, bad things happen because it's a drama. An excutiatingly long two hours, I must say.

5/10. What a stinker. No wonder I held off for so long.

TOO MUCH PLOT.

Claudia, we need you to appear in LOST COMMAND. It's gonna revolutionize the war genre. What did you think of the script?
Groggy
Bounty Killer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6268 on: June 23, 2009, 02:22:45 PM »

El Cid - 7/10 - This is the third Bronston epic that I've seen so far, and by far the best, but I think I can put my finger on my main issue with his films. Stuff like Lean's films, and even movies like Gone With the Wind and Ben-Hur that I'm not a huge fan of, are focused primarily on narrative and characters; perhaps because of their directors having come up through small-scale dramas, perhaps because of their works' literary basis, but even with the weaker of these films tend to have worthwhile performances and characterizations, at least up to a point, allowing a non-Jenkins viewer to get somewhat involved with their story (at least until it goes to pot in the Wyler/Flemming films). Bronston's films are more in the tradition of Cecil B. DeMille's movies, lots of spectacle and pageantry but not much in the way of substance or characterization, and thus feel rather empty and distant. Such it is with El Cid. Aside from Heston, who is always at his best playing a larger-than-life protagonist, the cast is bland and characters drawn with the broadest of strokes. Sophia Loren isn't much of an actress (I don't find her all that attractive either, to be honest) and Herbert Lom has a really lame and useless villain part. The movie is refreshingly fast-paced for much of its length, but the middle section with Heston and Loren in exile goes on for far too long. On the other hand, the film mostly succeeds as a spectacle film, with lots of rousing battle scenes and impressive costumes and sets (the Emir of Valencia's palace also turns up in The Wind and the Lion and I think Lawrence of Arabia), and the movie has some really powerful moments throughout, though I'm torn whether to think the ending is really cool or an anti-climactic let-down. And Miklos Rosza's score is great. Very good and entertaining, but missing something, like most of Bronston's films.

« Last Edit: June 23, 2009, 02:24:03 PM by Groggy » Logged

Groggy
Bounty Killer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6269 on: June 23, 2009, 02:25:17 PM »

How Green Was My Valley - I finally got around to seeing this and what an awful movie. It's superb technically but the plot is a mess: characters and events happen at random, new characters slide right in sans introduction. Nothing materializes, no momentum is built, bad things happen because it's a drama. An excutiatingly long two hours, I must say.

5/10. What a stinker. No wonder I held off for so long.

TOO MUCH PLOT.

This more or less exactly mirrors my own feelings on The Quiet Man, but it's been ages since I've seen HGWMV, so I'm afraid I can't comment on that one directly.

(6,000th post.)

Pages: 1 ... 416 417 [418] 419 420 ... 1162 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM