Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 18, 2017, 07:59:56 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Other/Miscellaneous
| |-+  Off-Topic Discussion (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Rate The Last Movie You Saw
Pages: 1 ... 419 420 [421] 422 423 ... 1162 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Rate The Last Movie You Saw  (Read 1761841 times)
Colonel GŁnther Ruiz
« Reply #6300 on: June 28, 2009, 05:05:02 PM »

That's an interesting interpretation. I think to make it simple, Vito views "the family" as, well, a family, while Michael views the family as the organization. I think the first movie also makes the point that Vito doesn't want to get into drug rackets. This, granted, seems even more dubious when we know he's running prostitution, but again within the gangster universe Coppola presents he's certainly a better man than Barzini or Tattaglia or Solozzo. Presumably Michael has no such qualms about the family business.

I do like Godfather III on its own merits (I'd give it a 6 or 7 if I was generous) but it's not in the same league as the first two.

I think that we come at the movies from diffrent directions and thats cool.  Mind you I love Godfather I and really admire parts of Godfather II.   Smiley

Godfather III on other hand is a movie that I can't abide.  In my view Michael was always a prick who gradually unmasked himself.  His quest for redemption is boring and ironically makes him seem like an even bigger jerk.  It doesn't help that killing Sofia Coppola encourages cheers rather than sobs from the audience.

« Last Edit: July 16, 2009, 05:39:46 PM by Colonel Douglas Mortimer » Logged
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

View Profile
« Reply #6301 on: June 28, 2009, 05:23:00 PM »

Dreamgirls - 6/10 - Another mediocre, bland musical helped by a few good songs and a great cast. Jennifer Hudson is one helluva singer, but her character rather annoying; easily more impressive are Beyonce, Eddie Murphy and Jamie Foxx. I don't know why I keep watching these films that I know I won't particularly enjoy. There's a part of my brain that I fucking need to learn to ignore.
Especially when there are hundreds of films from the French and Japanese cinemas you have yet to discover. You're wasting time, dude.

That's what you get, Drink, for getting out of bed this morning.
Groggy
Bounty Killer

This post gets Agnew's stamp of approval!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6302 on: June 28, 2009, 05:55:23 PM »

Especially when there are hundreds of films from the French and Japanese cinemas you have yet to discover. You're wasting time, dude.

If Family Video carried those movies and I had unlimited Netflix access, I might agree with you.

Saturday nights with Groggy
The Firecracker
Bounty Killer

Rub me the wrong way, and I'll go off in your face

View Profile
« Reply #6303 on: June 28, 2009, 06:10:45 PM »

and a climactic duel in the third.

That one isn't all that good either. Part 3 was playing on IFC a few nights back.

The Official COMIN' AT YA! re-release site
http://cominatyanoir3d.com/
moviesceleton
Bounty Killer

The glance that makes holes in the silver screen

View Profile
« Reply #6304 on: June 29, 2009, 04:06:47 AM »

La collectionneuse (1967) "The Collector" - 7/10
I just found out it's part of a series of movies. Should I see the other ones?

"Once Upon a Time in America gets ten-minute ovation at Cannes"
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #6305 on: June 29, 2009, 06:47:47 AM »

They're only vaguely related, and by theme, not storyline. If you liked this one you should enjoy the others. Claire's Knee and My Night With Maud are the two that have received the most critical attention.

marmota-b
Bounty Killer

It's perfect timing, large one...

View Profile
« Reply #6306 on: June 29, 2009, 08:38:48 AM »

Roman Holiday
I'm actually not rating this, because I don't feel like doing it... but I'm giving the Czech dubbing straight 10 out of 10. The best dubbing I've ever heard. Perfectly natural, believable, acting, moving... you name it.
What I hate most about the film world is the fact you do not usually learn who dubbed whom. There are no lists of dubbing roles in internet movie databases. But I'd love to know...

There are two kinds of films in this world:those which stay,even when their genre is forgotten,and those which don't.
Groggy
Bounty Killer

This post gets Agnew's stamp of approval!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6307 on: June 29, 2009, 01:47:03 PM »

Jeremiah Johnson - 8/10 - Excellent Western of a sort not often seen; nice to see Hollywood exploring territory other than the usual cowboys-and-Indians, settlers and pioneers, gunslingers and bandits stuff. Fairly realistic and manages to avoid most genre cliches, and the ending was unexpected in a good way. Redford is good but Will Geer and Stefan Gierasch steal the show in my opinion. Gorgeous cinematography makes great use of a variety of landscapes, from woods to snow to desert, a wonderfully rustic score, and I can't think of a better team of screenwriters than Milius and Anhalt. Not quite clear on why my DVD had an Overture/Intermission though, since the film clocks at well under two hours...

Saturday nights with Groggy
The Firecracker
Bounty Killer

Rub me the wrong way, and I'll go off in your face

View Profile
« Reply #6308 on: June 29, 2009, 02:04:21 PM »

Jeremiah Johnson - 8/10 - Excellent Western of a sort not often seen; nice to see Hollywood exploring territory other than the usual cowboys-and-Indians, settlers and pioneers, gunslingers and bandits stuff. Fairly realistic and manages to avoid most genre cliches, and the ending was unexpected in a good way. Redford is good but Will Geer and Stefan Gierasch steal the show in my opinion. Gorgeous cinematography makes great use of a variety of landscapes, from woods to snow to desert, a wonderfully rustic score, and I can't think of a better team of screenwriters than Milius and Anhalt. Not quite clear on why my DVD had an Overture/Intermission though, since the film clocks at well under two hours...

Agreed and perhaps I'd rate it higher.
My only gripe is the montage of Redford seeking revenge on the Indians. Nearly kills the mood of the film.

The Official COMIN' AT YA! re-release site
http://cominatyanoir3d.com/
titoli
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #6309 on: June 29, 2009, 04:11:38 PM »

The Vikings (1958) - The title and the face of Douglas on the movie poster inspired me some kind of fear when I was a kid. But I saw it only in the '80's on tv and found it up to my expectations. now I've watched the dvd and I can say that it ranks among the most violent movies made in Hollywood. It is more frightening than most horror movies, though there's no sign of blood and most of the fight scenes are risible. But the hawk scene where Douglas loses his eye (and then becomes a make-up artist masterpiece), the ax-throwing scene, the chase in the fog, the Borgnine death and the final duel (and the funeral) are thrilling as few. I think this is Douglas best ever performance: his over-the-top acting is absolutely suited to the over-the-top character. Curtis is too old for the part and no credible foil for Douglas. Borgnine is good because of the long hair and beard. Sets are fine (the viking banquets are memorable). The story though it is weak so I give it just a 7\10 but it is a must be seen at least once movie.

T.H.
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #6310 on: June 29, 2009, 04:31:03 PM »

They're only vaguely related, and by theme, not storyline. If you liked this one you should enjoy the others. Claire's Knee and My Night With Maud are the two that have received the most critical attention.

I'll vouch for it.

Claudia, we need you to appear in LOST COMMAND. It's gonna revolutionize the war genre. What did you think of the script?
moviesceleton
Bounty Killer

The glance that makes holes in the silver screen

View Profile
« Reply #6311 on: June 30, 2009, 01:51:43 AM »

Ocean's Eleven (2001) - 8.5/10
OK, I admit that it probably didn't deserve this sixth or seventh viewing but it just is a damn entertaining heist movie and there wasn't anything else on the telly.

"Once Upon a Time in America gets ten-minute ovation at Cannes"
Dust Devil
Bounty Killer

Smoke Tuco, so you can't bullshit!

View Profile
« Reply #6312 on: June 30, 2009, 05:51:03 AM »

Four Rooms (1995) - 3/10

3/4 idiotic and dull, but the final (QT's) room/story is very good.

No matter how cleverly you sneak up on a mirror, the reflection always looks you straight in the eye.
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #6313 on: June 30, 2009, 08:00:39 AM »

Especially if you've seen the Alfred Hitchcock Presents episode "Man From the South."

Amaze
Bounty Killer

I don't see any method at all, sir.

View Profile
« Reply #6314 on: June 30, 2009, 09:44:50 AM »

I saw both 4 rooms and the hitchcock episode many many years ago. QT's story was basically a remake with QT dialogue yes?

Pages: 1 ... 419 420 [421] 422 423 ... 1162 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM