Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 16, 2017, 06:11:29 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Other/Miscellaneous
| |-+  Off-Topic Discussion (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Rate The Last Movie You Saw
Pages: 1 ... 423 424 [425] 426 427 ... 1170 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Rate The Last Movie You Saw  (Read 1839847 times)
Amaze
Bounty Killer

I don't see any method at all, sir.

View Profile
« Reply #6360 on: July 05, 2009, 03:23:20 PM »

The Princess Bride (1987) 3/6
I think this is a great movie for children, for me not so much. But it was decent, I made it to the end.

Kurug3n
Bounty Killer

Que pasa?

View Profile
« Reply #6361 on: July 05, 2009, 04:24:23 PM »

I think this is a great movie for children, for me not so much. But it was decent, I made it to the end.

I cant.

Dust Devil
Bounty Killer

Smoke Tuco, so you can't bullshit!

View Profile
« Reply #6362 on: July 05, 2009, 05:33:29 PM »

Inherit the Wind (1960) - 9/10
I missed the first half an hour or so but it didn't bother that much. This is quite possibly the best court room drama I've seen (no, I haven't seen 12 Angry Men). The dialogue is amazing, performances are great and somehow the movie manages to be cinematic although it's basically (like?) a filmed play. 

My 3000th post here, BTW... Time to get a life.

Check the remake if you can. Better than the original, IMVHO.

No matter how cleverly you sneak up on a mirror, the reflection always looks you straight in the eye.
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

View Profile
« Reply #6363 on: July 05, 2009, 06:58:52 PM »

Huh, I like this film a lot. There's plenty to laugh about. Wallace Shawn is always amazing.

That's what you get, Drink, for being such an annoying Melville fanboy.
Colonel GŁnther Ruiz
« Reply #6364 on: July 05, 2009, 07:17:48 PM »

Huh, I like this film a lot. There's plenty to laugh about. Wallace Shawn is always amazing.

I haven't seen Princess Bride since I was ten or eleven.  All I remember was Andre the Giant (I was a big wrestling fan as a kid).  Speaking of Wallace Shawn, does anyone else like My Dinner with Andre?  I usually don't like artsy fartsy films but I connected with that one.

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #6365 on: July 05, 2009, 10:11:58 PM »

I liked it (MDWA)

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
moviesceleton
Bounty Killer

The glance that makes holes in the silver screen

View Profile
« Reply #6366 on: July 06, 2009, 02:11:56 AM »

The Magnificent Seven (1960) - 8.5/10
Both action and character development scenes work very well. I can't really compare this with Seven Samurai since I saw it only once, years ago, on a extremely bad DVD-R recorded from a TV broadcast.

"Once Upon a Time in America gets ten-minute ovation at Cannes"
Amaze
Bounty Killer

I don't see any method at all, sir.

View Profile
« Reply #6367 on: July 06, 2009, 07:06:39 AM »

Any movie with Eli as a bandit is automatically great Smiley

Groggy
Bounty Killer

This post gets Agnew's stamp of approval!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6368 on: July 06, 2009, 07:20:10 AM »

That just makes Eli's scenes great. The film itself isn't anything special.

Saturday nights with Groggy
moviesceleton
Bounty Killer

The glance that makes holes in the silver screen

View Profile
« Reply #6369 on: July 06, 2009, 01:43:36 PM »

Klassikko (2001) - 8/10
Among the best Finnish films of this decade.

"Once Upon a Time in America gets ten-minute ovation at Cannes"
Kurug3n
Bounty Killer

Que pasa?

View Profile
« Reply #6370 on: July 06, 2009, 01:55:07 PM »

Very interesting from start to finish.Whether or not its a great film is up in the air.

titoli
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #6371 on: July 07, 2009, 09:48:52 AM »

Glory (1989) - At IMDB some people say this is the best war movie ever. I wonder what the other ones they saw are. This movie's greatest asset is no love story; it also has a good last battle scene (unusual, staged along the american beach: it could have been Italy or Normandy). For the rest is the usual heap of Hollywood clichťs. The Denzel W.'s character could have been a good excuse to enlarge the picture to a reflexion on racism, but that it is exactly what this movie is not. I have little against Broderick, but I would have preferred Michal J. Fox in the part. 6\10 

Groggy
Bounty Killer

This post gets Agnew's stamp of approval!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6372 on: July 07, 2009, 01:27:52 PM »

The Sand Pebbles - 8/10 - 5th viewing I think?

Saturday nights with Groggy
Colonel GŁnther Ruiz
« Reply #6373 on: July 07, 2009, 06:31:48 PM »

Manhunter:  The first Hannibal Lecter movie.  Silence of the Lambs was pretty good (if overrated) but Hannibal was trash.  Its nice that this one is pre-Silence and thus has less hype, less Lecter.  The Cannibal was never a character I liked very much though Brian Cox is interesting (and better than Hopkins).  The two big problems are that Will Peterson ain't much of an actor (sometimes he's hilariously bad) and the storyline with his wife is boring.  The first hour is hard to get through.  Its gets better when the killer enters the movie.  Tom Noonan gives without a doubt the best performance in the movie.  His serial killer is very creepy (a scene where he tortures a reporter sticks with you) but also very human.  A young Joan Allen is also good, making the most out of a small part.  The final showdown between Peterson and Noonan is rather silly but cool (and a nice use of In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida).  Overall I'd say that Silence is still better but I would still recommend Manhunter (at least for one viewing).  6/10

« Last Edit: August 09, 2009, 03:23:02 PM by Il Colonnello » Logged
Dust Devil
Bounty Killer

Smoke Tuco, so you can't bullshit!

View Profile
« Reply #6374 on: July 07, 2009, 06:49:22 PM »

Manhunter:  The first Hannibal Lecter movie.  Silence of the Lambs was pretty good (if overrated) but Hannibal was trash.  Its nice that this one is pre-Silence and thus has less hype, less Lecter.  The Cannibal was never a character I liked very much though Brian Cox is interesting (and better than Hopkins).  The two big problems are that Will Peterson ain't much of an actor (sometimes he's hilariously bad) and the storyline with his wife is boring.  The first hour is hard to get through.  Its gets better when the killer enters the movie.  Tom Noonan gives without a doubt the best performance in the movie.  His serial killer is very creepy (a scene where he tortures a reporter sticks with you) but also very human.  A young Joan Allen is also good, making the most out of a small part.  The final showdown between Peterson and Noonan is rather silly but cool (and a nice use of In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida).  Overall I'd say that Silence is still better but I would still recommend Manhunter (at least for one viewing).  6/10

I sort of agree with your rating and short review. And Tom Noonan was and still is a very gifted actor with both skills and presence for those devious wicked characters that steal the show, though he never really got a chance to be in something big after this.

In general, Manhunter failed where The Silence of the Lambs just a few years later proved to be great: interaction between the two leads, and design/cinematography. That made a huge difference, as the script of TSOTL wasn't exactly something to write home about.

« Last Edit: July 07, 2009, 06:50:45 PM by Dust Devil » Logged

No matter how cleverly you sneak up on a mirror, the reflection always looks you straight in the eye.
Pages: 1 ... 423 424 [425] 426 427 ... 1170 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM