Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 11, 2017, 02:12:05 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Other/Miscellaneous
| |-+  Off-Topic Discussion (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Rate The Last Movie You Saw
Pages: 1 ... 424 425 [426] 427 428 ... 1169 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Rate The Last Movie You Saw  (Read 1831637 times)
Groggy
Bounty Killer

This post gets Agnew's stamp of approval!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6375 on: July 08, 2009, 02:21:45 PM »

Two For the Road - 6/10 - The only real reasons to see this movie are Audrey Hepburn and Albert Finney. Finney is very good and Hepburn is charming and lovely as always (at least when not sporting her hideous Twiggy haircut), and they have great chemistry together - it's a shame they didn't get together in a better film. The film's non-linear narrative is just confusing and disjointing, creating a cold and distant atmosphere around the whole thing, the story never really gains much cohesion (besides that Audrey and Albert are having marital problems at some point in one of the three stories we see) and worst of all, the movie moves at a snail's pace. Plus the '60s chic is hideously dated from a modern perspective, though that's arguably a minor complaint.

Saturday nights with Groggy
Colonel GŁnther Ruiz
« Reply #6376 on: July 08, 2009, 03:35:02 PM »

Tom Noonan was and still is a very gifted actor with both skills and presence for those devious wicked characters that steal the show, though he never really got a chance to be in something big after this.

I was just thinking--Leone would have loved him.

moviesceleton
Bounty Killer

The glance that makes holes in the silver screen

View Profile
« Reply #6377 on: July 09, 2009, 02:41:44 AM »

The Fog (1980) - 7.5/10
It's nice see, for a change, a horror movie where you have adult and rational characters instead of blond college girl bimbos. Visuals are bad (do the ghosts carry backlights with them where ever they go?), which affects the scariness to some extent, and the plot is your typical ghoststory, but there are honestly good characters and very good atmosphere.

"Once Upon a Time in America gets ten-minute ovation at Cannes"
T.H.
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #6378 on: July 09, 2009, 09:08:15 AM »

Two For the Road - 6/10 - The only real reasons to see this movie are Audrey Hepburn and Albert Finney. Finney is very good and Hepburn is charming and lovely as always (at least when not sporting her hideous Twiggy haircut), and they have great chemistry together - it's a shame they didn't get together in a better film. The film's non-linear narrative is just confusing and disjointing, creating a cold and distant atmosphere around the whole thing, the story never really gains much cohesion (besides that Audrey and Albert are having marital problems at some point in one of the three stories we see) and worst of all, the movie moves at a snail's pace. Plus the '60s chic is hideously dated from a modern perspective, though that's arguably a minor complaint.

There are some nice moments but you're completely right about the pacing, terrible. I struggled to finish this one and you certainly lose interest in the respective plights of the characters. And there was that whole unnecessary francise element to it. Charmers like A THOUSAND CLOWNS can get away with the New Wave postruring but it cripples TftR.

a 6 is about right.

*William Daniels is always worth watching too.

« Last Edit: July 09, 2009, 02:49:26 PM by tuco benedicto pacifico juan maria ramirez » Logged

Claudia, we need you to appear in LOST COMMAND. It's gonna revolutionize the war genre. What did you think of the script?
Groggy
Bounty Killer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6379 on: July 09, 2009, 12:30:49 PM »

HMS Defiant - 8/10 - Released the same year as Billy Budd, and set in the exact time period, but more focused on the action/adventure aspect of naval life than quandries of law and justice, which is all for the better I think. I liked Billy Budd well-enough but it wasn't the most cinematic of movies, and was mostly worth watching for the great cast; this movie opts for rip-roaring adventure and pretty much nails it. Alec Guinness is good if a bit stiff, Dirk Borgarde steals the show with his Iago-esque first mate, nice supporting cast too (one of Anthony Quayle's best roles). Nice naval battles and scenery throughout, marred only by the occasional very obvious backdrop/matte painting. Only big complaint is that the last half hour or so seemed rather rushed - this movie could have done with a bit more time to flesh out the story and consequences of the mutiny. Otherwise, very well-done.

« Last Edit: July 09, 2009, 12:35:43 PM by Groggy » Logged

Groggy
Bounty Killer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6380 on: July 09, 2009, 12:39:40 PM »

And Tom Noonan was and still is a very gifted actor with both skills and presence for those devious wicked characters that steal the show, though he never really got a chance to be in something big after this.

I'll always remember Noonan for his very chilling portrayal of a cold-blooded serial killer on The X-Files, who claimed to have killed Mulder's sister.

Groggy
Bounty Killer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6381 on: July 10, 2009, 02:03:10 PM »

Once Upon a Time in America - Am real tempted to bump my rating down from a 10 to a 9 because no matter how many times I watch this movie I find the 1968 scenes very hard to get into.

PowerRR
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #6382 on: July 10, 2009, 02:07:05 PM »

Once Upon a Time in America - Am real tempted to bump my rating down from a 10 to a 9
Yea? Well I'll probably knock Lawrence of Arabia's rating down from a 9 to a 4 just to spite you.

Groggy
Bounty Killer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6383 on: July 10, 2009, 02:24:06 PM »

Yea? Well I'll probably knock Lawrence of Arabia's rating down from a 9 to a 4 just to spite you.

Go ahead. Make my day.

Dust Devil
Bounty Killer

Smoke Tuco, so you can't bullshit!

View Profile
« Reply #6384 on: July 10, 2009, 05:11:35 PM »

Conan the Destroyer (1984) - 3.26/10

I bet @titoli really enjoyed the romance elements in this movie.

No matter how cleverly you sneak up on a mirror, the reflection always looks you straight in the eye.
Dust Devil
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #6385 on: July 10, 2009, 05:19:25 PM »

I'll always remember Noonan for his very chilling portrayal of a cold-blooded serial killer on The X-Files, who claimed to have killed Mulder's sister.

I seem to remember that episode but like through a fog. I started watching all the episodes up to the middle of the 4th season a couple of months ago, but had to break the operation and never got the time to resume, I most probably missed that one.

He was also good in two stinkers: RoboCop 2 (as RoboCop's enemy - the psycho crimelord turned corporate cyborg Cain) and Knockaround Guys (as the creepy dirty sheriff in a small town in the middle of nowhere). And I remember him also having a tiny but pivotal-like role in Penn's The Pledge (as a pedophile priest).

« Last Edit: July 10, 2009, 05:23:32 PM by Dust Devil » Logged

No matter how cleverly you sneak up on a mirror, the reflection always looks you straight in the eye.
Dust Devil
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #6386 on: July 10, 2009, 05:29:00 PM »

New Rose Hotel (1998) - 3/10

Unbelievably bad, but Walken is the man.

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

View Profile
« Reply #6387 on: July 11, 2009, 10:47:01 AM »

I seem to remember that episode but like through a fog. I started watching all the episodes up to the middle of the 4th season a couple of months ago, but had to break the operation and never got the time to resume, I most probably missed that one.

He was also good in two stinkers: RoboCop 2 (as RoboCop's enemy - the psycho crimelord turned corporate cyborg Cain) and Knockaround Guys (as the creepy dirty sheriff in a small town in the middle of nowhere). And I remember him also having a tiny but pivotal-like role in Penn's The Pledge (as a pedophile priest).
Huh? How can you cover Tom Noonan and not mention his role in Last Action Hero? Ease off on the drug use, DD.

That's what you get, Drink, for being such an annoying Melville fanboy.
moviesceleton
Bounty Killer

The glance that makes holes in the silver screen

View Profile
« Reply #6388 on: July 11, 2009, 10:59:42 AM »

Mystery of the Wax Museum (1933) - 7/10

"Once Upon a Time in America gets ten-minute ovation at Cannes"
Groggy
Bounty Killer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6389 on: July 11, 2009, 12:45:00 PM »

That was Paper Hearts, an early Season Four episode. I've only seen it twice but it definitely left an impression, one of the few without (much of) a supernatural plot.

I think he had a small role in Heat but for the life of me I can't remember his part.

Pages: 1 ... 424 425 [426] 427 428 ... 1169 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM