Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 22, 2017, 01:27:20 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Other/Miscellaneous
| |-+  Off-Topic Discussion (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Rate The Last Movie You Saw
Pages: 1 ... 425 426 [427] 428 429 ... 1162 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Rate The Last Movie You Saw  (Read 1768189 times)
Dust Devil
Bounty Killer

Smoke Tuco, so you can't bullshit!

View Profile
« Reply #6390 on: July 11, 2009, 01:08:16 PM »

Huh? How can you cover Tom Noonan and not mention his role in Last Action Hero? Ease off on the drug use, DD.

I wrote what I could remember at the moment, I don't have time to search through the net every time I'm about to write a post on the forum. Besides, in my defense, LAH must be the only Arnie movie I watched maybe once or twice in my life, and can't remember a single thing from it. That's definitely symptomatic.

No matter how cleverly you sneak up on a mirror, the reflection always looks you straight in the eye.
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

View Profile
« Reply #6391 on: July 11, 2009, 03:07:10 PM »

I wrote what I could remember at the moment, I don't have time to search through the net every time I'm about to write a post on the forum. Besides, in my defense, LAH must be the only Arnie movie I watched maybe once or twice in my life, and can't remember a single thing from it. That's definitely symptomatic.
Symptomatic of too many drugs. Grin

That's what you get, Drink, for getting out of bed this morning.
Dust Devil
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #6392 on: July 11, 2009, 04:03:04 PM »

Judging from you, not enough drugs is a more probable explanation of my case.

« Last Edit: July 11, 2009, 04:05:14 PM by Dust Devil » Logged

No matter how cleverly you sneak up on a mirror, the reflection always looks you straight in the eye.
Groggy
Bounty Killer

This post gets Agnew's stamp of approval!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6393 on: July 11, 2009, 05:30:07 PM »

Son of Rusty - 100/10 - Greatest film ever made bar none!

Saturday nights with Groggy
Colonel GŁnther Ruiz
« Reply #6394 on: July 11, 2009, 09:24:21 PM »

Fistful of Dollars:  I just bought this finally (I already have FAFDM, GBU, OUATITW, and DYS).  Its been five or six years since I last watched FoD and damn its good!  By far the simplest of Leone's six greats but a fantastic film.  I won't try to improve on anything thats been written by much smarter people than I so instead I'll talk about the things I noticed this time around.

1).  The Baxters are a dysfunctional bunch.  Sheriff John is the official leader of the gang but he's a worm and it becomes apparent that his wife is the real boss (even Ramon recognizes this).  (I remember this from Yojimbo, too)  Interesting to watch John's resentment (you want to prove me wrong, its always the same) and his wife slapping her son across the face in front of everyone in town for allowing himself to be captured.  Yet when she finds her husband and son are dead, she is obviously grief-stricken.  Leone seemed to have sympathy for the lesser villains in his movies (Diala, Morton, Villaga).

2).  I always wondered if the Rojos could wipe out the Baxters so easily, why didn't they do it much earlier.  This time I figured it out:  the artillery and explosives they seized from the dead soldiers.  Thats why Ramon ambushed first the Americans, then the Mexicans--to have the money and power to finally destroy the Baxters.  He wanted to wait for both governments to conclude their investigations first but the hunt for Joe and Marisol forced his hand.  Sorry for being so slow.   Embarrassed

3).  Don Miguel Rojo is the first of the three brothers that we are introduced to but soon Estaban and especially Ramon take center stage and Miguel becomes just another Rojo goon.  He even dies along with three other men with no special attention being paid to him.  Ramon gets a cool death and Estaban is shot and falls out a window.  Poor Miguel is the Sancho Perez of Fistful.   Smiley

My old rating:  7/10 (was I crazy?)
My new rating:  8.5 or 9/10

Dust Devil
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #6395 on: July 11, 2009, 09:33:18 PM »

The big sky definitely did you some good, boy.

« Last Edit: July 11, 2009, 09:39:27 PM by Dust Devil » Logged

Colonel GŁnther Ruiz
« Reply #6396 on: July 11, 2009, 11:04:26 PM »

The big sky definitely did you some good, boy.

Afro

Colonel GŁnther Ruiz
« Reply #6397 on: July 12, 2009, 10:57:27 AM »

FOD is a film that, for me, gets worse and worse with each viewing (which Guru Jinkies says shouldn't be the case with a good film). I loved it as a kid but I can barely tolerate it now, if it weren't for Clint, Ennio and some cool shootouts it would be just another cheapjack Spaghetti Western.

Nuts to you.   Tongue

I still have a few problems with FoD and it remains the weakest of Leone's Magnificent Six, but that just tells you how great he was.

Groggy
Bounty Killer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6398 on: July 12, 2009, 05:41:52 PM »

For the Love of Rusty - 101/10 - Even better than Son of Rusty, if only for the scene where Rusty brutally mauls a carny!

The Firecracker
Bounty Killer

Rub me the wrong way, and I'll go off in your face

View Profile
« Reply #6399 on: July 12, 2009, 10:50:06 PM »

Son of Rusty - 100/10 - Greatest film ever made bar none!

Be serious.

The Official COMIN' AT YA! re-release site
http://cominatyanoir3d.com/
Groggy
Bounty Killer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6400 on: July 13, 2009, 06:22:42 AM »

Hey, I ammended my opinion above. Son of Rusty is great, but not often do you see a children's film with a Gestapo police dog-turned-family pet mauling a carny to death.

Groggy
Bounty Killer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6401 on: July 13, 2009, 07:58:41 AM »

Who's the joker what deleted my FOD post? Can't take contrary opinions, eh? Fuck you.

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

View Profile
« Reply #6402 on: July 13, 2009, 12:11:15 PM »

The Baxters are a dysfunctional bunch.  Sheriff John is the official leader of the gang but he's a worm and it becomes apparent that his wife is the real boss (even Ramon recognizes this).  (I remember this from Yojimbo, too) 
Just curious, but how would you rate FOD viz a viz Yojimbo?

That's what you get, Drink, for getting out of bed this morning.
T.H.
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #6403 on: July 13, 2009, 12:40:13 PM »

if it weren't for Clint, Ennio and some cool shootouts it would be just another cheapjack Spaghetti Western

How many of these "cheapjack" movies have you seen?

I'm no spag. expert but I've seen enough to have some respect for the sub-genre.

Claudia, we need you to appear in LOST COMMAND. It's gonna revolutionize the war genre. What did you think of the script?
Groggy
Bounty Killer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6404 on: July 13, 2009, 01:49:15 PM »

Yes, my comment is clearly meant as a slam on the entire SW subgenre rather than run-of-the-mill mass-produced crap Spaghettis.

I haven't seen all that many as most of the board's denizens are well-aware. I'd rather not get drawn into this argument again if you don't mind, least of all on an apparent misreading of my words.

« Last Edit: July 13, 2009, 02:00:57 PM by Groggy » Logged

Pages: 1 ... 425 426 [427] 428 429 ... 1162 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM