Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 19, 2017, 11:26:55 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Other/Miscellaneous
| |-+  Off-Topic Discussion (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Rate The Last Movie You Saw
Pages: 1 ... 430 431 [432] 433 434 ... 1162 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Rate The Last Movie You Saw  (Read 1763723 times)
noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6465 on: July 19, 2009, 05:05:23 AM »

Public Ennemies - 5.5/10

Watchable, once you're able to forget about the shaky cam. I agree on pretty everything that has been said here: shaky cam "ok" during the action scenes, stupid during the other ones; HD sometimes put to good use, but often homish looking (the trouble with HD is that you need less light than with other cameras... then, lazy or cheap productions work less on the lights, especially during day scenes, hence the cheap look of them); Bale is Bale; Depp is Depp (ie good); cotillard is put to very bad use as the classic romance (how can you do that with  one of the greatest actress alive??); the sound is terrible (some dialogues far higher than other ones, the scene in the restaurant is very difficult to hear due to the amount of sound around the dilogues; some sounds are incredibly low.... i had never heard such a bad mix on a hollywood flick); too much light in the forest; some good supporting cast (especially the guy that plays Nelson... he made me think to Cagney, that's funny how he mention the guy at some point) and there is no story/character developement at all: if you ask me, they could have edited the whole thing in a different order, it would not have changed anything. Their is not a single link between scenes. The only thing is that the guys that died before are not on the following scenes. End of story. Hence, you get bored from time to time.

On the other hand, their is no bad sequence at all, and a few good ideas. I really like the introduction scene of Bale, almost poetic.

Last point: WHY THE HELL DIDN'T THEY ENDED THE MOVIE ON THE CLOSE UP?Huh Why did they put a guy you don't care closing a door??? What's the point???

New music video: ZOMBIE APOCALYPSE https://youtu.be/p968oyMo5B0
www.ThibautOskian.com
Groggy
Bounty Killer

This post gets Agnew's stamp of approval!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6466 on: July 19, 2009, 06:25:20 AM »

The movie should have ended on Dillinger's death. There was some stuff they cut out of the film for reasons beyond me (the arrest of Karpis, Purvis's resignation) that would have worked a lot better than the stupid-ass "emotional" conclusion we have now. (And why have Stephen Lang's character do it instead of Purvis? That makes no sense.)

Nelson apparently did model himself after Cagney in real-life, so make of that what you will. Although someone noted the film he's quoting didn't come out until 1938.

Saturday nights with Groggy
Groggy
Bounty Killer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6467 on: July 19, 2009, 07:45:40 AM »

and Groggy, your bro would fit in well with us shaky cam, romance haters.

He likes Leone too, but I haven't been able to convince him to join.

Groggy
Bounty Killer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6468 on: July 19, 2009, 10:03:39 AM »

Am kinda/sorta watching The Patriot right now, and Roll Eyes at the idiotic "Brits are genocidal psychos" massacre scene.

Dust Devil
Bounty Killer

Smoke Tuco, so you can't bullshit!

View Profile
« Reply #6469 on: July 19, 2009, 12:24:29 PM »

The Fall, beautiful cinematography 7/10

What are we exactly talkin' 'bout here? The Fall (from 2006), or Legends of the Fall (from 1994) ?

I agree if the second one is in question, haven't seen the first one yet, but I'm planning to. Only a 7?

No matter how cleverly you sneak up on a mirror, the reflection always looks you straight in the eye.
Groggy
Bounty Killer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6470 on: July 19, 2009, 01:28:03 PM »

The Patriot - 7/10 - I did actually sit through the whole film in want of anything better to do. This is my second viewing but I don't think I'd seen it the whole way through in years. The story's pretty predictable, there's a good amount of wheeze and cheese, and the portrayal of the Brits as Nazis is laughable beyond belief, but as a handsomely-mounted period action film it works pretty well. Battle scenes and shootouts are really impressive when they don't fall into the overly-dramatic slow-motion and cheeseball moments (Gibson screaming NO! as his son is killed, Darth Vader would be proud). Performances run the gamut from good (Mel Gibson, Chris Cooper, Tom Wilkinson, Tcheky Karyo) to silly (Heath Ledger, Jason Isaacs) to just plain pathetic (any of the female characters). Still, it's not bad for what it is.

Colonel GŁnther Ruiz
« Reply #6471 on: July 19, 2009, 01:50:31 PM »

Am kinda/sorta watching The Patriot right now, and Roll Eyes at the idiotic "Brits are genocidal psychos" massacre scene.

I think its adorable when actors pretend their directors.   Grin

Kurug3n
Bounty Killer

Que pasa?

View Profile
« Reply #6472 on: July 19, 2009, 04:12:48 PM »

I think its adorable when actors pretend their directors.   Grin

Roland Emmerich is not a actor.

Ghostbusters-10/10

saw it at a midnight screening.just awesome.

Colonel GŁnther Ruiz
« Reply #6473 on: July 19, 2009, 04:20:01 PM »

Roland Emmerich is not a actor.

I was talking about Mel Gibson, but I forgot he didn't direct the Patriot.  I believe he conceptualized and produced it though.

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #6474 on: July 19, 2009, 04:52:48 PM »

What are we exactly talkin' 'bout here? The Fall (from 2006), or Legends of the Fall (from 1994) ?

I agree if the second one is in question, haven't seen the first one yet, but I'm planning to. Only a 7?

The fall 2006, Oh maybe I'll go 7.5 it was great cinematography but it was lacking something I can't put a finger on.

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
Dust Devil
Bounty Killer

Smoke Tuco, so you can't bullshit!

View Profile
« Reply #6475 on: July 19, 2009, 07:23:06 PM »

The fall 2006, Oh maybe I'll go 7.5 it was great cinematography but it was lacking something I can't put a finger on.

I've been hearing very good things about this movie but for some reason I've been hesitant to put it in the DVD player and watch. It's 2 hours long and I just don't feel like driving through unknown experimental territory while it's so damn hot. And this looks just like that: unknown experimental territory. I'd probably break the watch and never continue if I wouldn't like at first what I see, so I'll rather wait for the favorable moment. It's a whole different story with Ws, I can always watch them, even the shittiest. Anyway, thanks for the opinion. Smiley

« Last Edit: July 19, 2009, 07:24:18 PM by Dust Devil » Logged

No matter how cleverly you sneak up on a mirror, the reflection always looks you straight in the eye.
Whalestoe
« Reply #6476 on: July 19, 2009, 07:34:56 PM »

I've been hearing very good things about this movie but for some reason I've been hesitant to put it in the DVD player and watch. It's 2 hours long and I just don't feel like driving through unknown experimental territory while it's so damn hot. And this looks just like that: unknown experimental territory. I'd probably break the watch and never continue if I wouldn't like at first what I see, so I'll rather wait for the favorable moment. It's a whole different story with Ws, I can always watch them, even the shittiest. Anyway, thanks for the opinion. Smiley

I'd give The Fall an 8/10. Might rewatch it after my run. CJ is right. The cinematography alone is worth a viewing of the film.

uncknown
Gunslinger

What about me?

View Profile
« Reply #6477 on: July 19, 2009, 11:46:47 PM »

Public Ennemies - 5.5/10

Watchable, once you're able to forget about the shaky cam. I agree on pretty everything that has been said here: shaky cam "ok" during the action scenes, stupid during the other ones; HD sometimes put to good use, but often ho

say it aint so!!!!!!!! Angry
i was really looking forward to this but i just can not watch shakycam ffilms (i skipped THE INSIDER 'cause of it)/

"Other Morton's will come along  and they'll kill it off"

My article on the restoration of the The Big Gundown
http://thekinskifiles.blogspot.com/2009/01/cinemaretro-13-big-gundown.html
noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6478 on: July 20, 2009, 01:10:33 AM »

It's one of the most shaky cam you've ever seen Smiley

New music video: ZOMBIE APOCALYPSE https://youtu.be/p968oyMo5B0
www.ThibautOskian.com
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

View Profile
« Reply #6479 on: July 20, 2009, 12:20:31 PM »

The movie should have ended on Dillinger's death. There was some stuff they cut out of the film for reasons beyond me (the arrest of Karpis, Purvis's resignation) that would have worked a lot better than the stupid-ass "emotional" conclusion we have now. (And why have Stephen Lang's character do it instead of Purvis? That makes no sense.)
This was actually the only scene in the movie I liked, partly because it was with Lang rather than Bale, but also because it had a double pay-off which connected it to scenes that had come before: the revelation that the Lang character HAD understood Dillinger's dying words in the previous scene, and the final enunciation of the Bye Bye Blackbird idea. Finally, at the end, we get something that resembles a scene in a well-structured film. An illusion, of course, but a thirsty man in a desert will seek refreshment even from stones.

That's what you get, Drink, for getting out of bed this morning.
Pages: 1 ... 430 431 [432] 433 434 ... 1162 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM