Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 20, 2017, 01:56:04 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Other/Miscellaneous
| |-+  Off-Topic Discussion (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Rate The Last Movie You Saw
Pages: 1 ... 431 432 [433] 434 435 ... 1162 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Rate The Last Movie You Saw  (Read 1764733 times)
Kurug3n
Bounty Killer

Que pasa?

View Profile
« Reply #6480 on: July 20, 2009, 02:37:06 PM »

Alien

9/10

Colonel GŁnther Ruiz
« Reply #6481 on: July 20, 2009, 06:24:18 PM »

Alien

9/10

Once I saw a DVD with both Alien and Predator on it for a few bucks and I remember thinking how much better a deal that was than buying and watching Alien vs Predator.   Tongue

PowerRR
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #6482 on: July 20, 2009, 09:13:52 PM »

Borat - 9/10
Mockumentary classic as far as I'm concerned.

Bruno - 8/10
Pretty fuckin funny too.

Les Vampires - 7.5/10
This fucks The Birth of a Nation up the ass. Technically superior in every possible way, and it came out the same year.

The Hangover - 7.5/10
Not a good film by any means (weak plot, uninteresting characters, some MTV-ish editing, yadda yadda yadda) but as far as comedy goes, it gets its job done pretty damn well.

Days of Heaven - 9/10
Third time's the charm - I hated it the first two viewings. Somehow my look upon it has drastically changed.

There's Something About Mary - 6/10
Underwhelming but worth viewing.

T.H.
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #6483 on: July 20, 2009, 11:42:32 PM »

Finally got around to The Yakuza Papers and a mixed bag of thoughts. From a moral standpoint, crime may have never have been represented as thoughtfully and delicately as seen in this series. The action is realistic but without sacrifing art or style's sake - the only unrealistic aspect of the the action scenes is they carry on longer than in real life, though it fits the movie perfectly. Overall, way too much exposition. While Fukasaku was probably making a point in that many faces appear and vanish in the yakuza, ultimately it isn't very satisfying spending 500 minutes examining characters you know very little about outside of how they handle conflict within their respective crime organizations.

The first and third volumes were by far the worst, but to their defense, they set up the most satisfying of the five: numbers 2 and 4. However, 1 and 3 have serious pacing issues due to the plot overload; its writing is stemmed too much in journalism, although that doesn't cripple the film because Fukasaku was an incredible talent. 5 is neither a proper payoff nor a major disappointment, it's simply satisfying enough, although you tend to realize where things were headed by the tone of the first four movies.

I'd give 1, 3 and 5 a 7/10 while 2 and 4 are high 8s. Overall,  7.5 or something.

To those yet to see a 70s Fukasaku film: I HIGHLY suggest you opt for Yakuza Graveyard, Sympathy for the Underdog, Street Mobster and Cops vs. Thugs. To make it quick, you get every positive quality this series has to provide (outside of the fact that in SFTU the characters are seen as heroic) without any of the aforementioned drawbacks. I need to see more of his work, starting with Graveyard of Honor.

To fans of Carlito's Way: De Palms had to have drawn inspiration from the shots used in action sequences in which the characters stand upright in the frame horizontally - the opening and closing moments of CW.  

Claudia, we need you to appear in LOST COMMAND. It's gonna revolutionize the war genre. What did you think of the script?
Whalestoe
« Reply #6484 on: July 21, 2009, 12:04:20 AM »

Days of Heaven - 9/10
Third time's the charm - I hated it the first two viewings. Somehow my look upon it has drastically changed.

About time, fool.

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

View Profile
« Reply #6485 on: July 21, 2009, 01:21:19 PM »

Days of Heaven - 9/10
You'll get over that.

That's what you get, Drink, for getting out of bed this morning.
Kurug3n
Bounty Killer

Que pasa?

View Profile
« Reply #6486 on: July 21, 2009, 01:38:43 PM »

Aliens- 8/10

Well I wondering now how Alien3 works out and whether I should see it or not.

Groggy
Bounty Killer

This post gets Agnew's stamp of approval!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6487 on: July 21, 2009, 02:26:17 PM »

Scarface - 7-8/10 - Very entertaining but not in the same league of class, gravitas or depth as The Godfathers or Scorsese's best mob flicks. I liked the film most of the way but the final shootout was ridiculously out-of-synch with the rest of the film. Nice direction and a fine script, but rather sloppy plot and character development. Al Pacino is great and pretty much carries the film, the rest of the cast is rather non-descript in my opinion. It's been ages since I've seen the Hawks-Muni Scarface so I don't think I can fairly compare the two.

Saturday nights with Groggy
Colonel GŁnther Ruiz
« Reply #6488 on: July 21, 2009, 07:22:03 PM »

Aliens- 8/10

Well I wondering now how Alien3 works out and whether I should see it or not.

See it.  Its uneven but interesting and I like it better than Aliens.

Colonel GŁnther Ruiz
« Reply #6489 on: July 21, 2009, 07:35:21 PM »

Scarface - 7-8/10 - Very entertaining but not in the same league of class, gravitas or depth as The Godfathers or Scorsese's best mob flicks. I liked the film most of the way but the final shootout was ridiculously out-of-synch with the rest of the film. Nice direction and a fine script, but rather sloppy plot and character development. Al Pacino is great and pretty much carries the film, the rest of the cast is rather non-descript in my opinion. It's been ages since I've seen the Hawks-Muni Scarface so I don't think I can fairly compare the two.

True, Pacino carries the movie but I am saddened that Scarface was the point were a great actor became an overdone ham.   Sad

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #6490 on: July 21, 2009, 07:39:20 PM »

Watch the original then with Paul Muni & George Raft.  Afro

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
Colonel GŁnther Ruiz
« Reply #6491 on: July 21, 2009, 07:43:15 PM »

I never saw the original though I've wanted to.   Embarrassed

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #6492 on: July 21, 2009, 07:45:32 PM »

Netflix possibly.

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
Colonel GŁnther Ruiz
« Reply #6493 on: July 21, 2009, 07:50:24 PM »

Netflix possibly.

Its on my queue but I have dozens of movies on there.  Someday...

Groggy
Bounty Killer

This post gets Agnew's stamp of approval!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6494 on: July 21, 2009, 07:54:52 PM »

I saw it on (I think) AMC years ago, back when that channel was good. Liked it but don't remember much aside from Boris Karloff getting machine-gunned at the bowling alley, and the ending. I did like that De Palma's film was dedicated to Hawks but the resemblances are fairly superficial.

Saturday nights with Groggy
Pages: 1 ... 431 432 [433] 434 435 ... 1162 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM