Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 20, 2017, 07:28:22 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Other/Miscellaneous
| |-+  Off-Topic Discussion (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Rate The Last Movie You Saw
Pages: 1 ... 432 433 [434] 435 436 ... 1162 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Rate The Last Movie You Saw  (Read 1765160 times)
PowerRR
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #6495 on: July 22, 2009, 09:31:01 AM »

GUYS this is urgent

i'm about to take a monster shit

and maybe watch Synecdoche, NY? or Beetle Juice?

and some kid that used to live in my town just joined the circus and raped a 13 year old girl, wtf?

noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6496 on: July 22, 2009, 09:53:01 AM »

Synecdoche, NY.

I've seen none of them but i really wanted to see this one.

New music video: ZOMBIE APOCALYPSE https://youtu.be/p968oyMo5B0
www.ThibautOskian.com
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #6497 on: July 22, 2009, 08:37:17 PM »

Waterloo Bridge, Vivien Leigh, Robert Taylor "meller" alert. Two lovers, he goes off to war she sees death notice in paper, turns whore trolling Waterloo Bridge & Station a year or two later he shows up alive. 6/10, Vivian looks great as ho.

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
PowerRR
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #6498 on: July 22, 2009, 08:45:26 PM »

Synecdoche, New York - 6/10
The Thin Red Line - 8/10

Kurug3n
Bounty Killer

Que pasa?

View Profile
« Reply #6499 on: July 22, 2009, 09:05:26 PM »

Can you give a more indepth review ?

T.H.
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #6500 on: July 22, 2009, 09:59:13 PM »

Do you think I would like this one?

Claudia, we need you to appear in LOST COMMAND. It's gonna revolutionize the war genre. What did you think of the script?
PowerRR
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #6501 on: July 23, 2009, 12:20:08 AM »

Actually I shouldn't have even given this a rating - I turned it off after about an hour and twenty minutes. I dunno, it wasn't a bad film - it was actually pretty good (technically). Just not at all up my alley. The protagonist wasn't at all likable - but that's not the problem - the characters and plot just weren't interesting for me in the least bit and I simply had no reason to continue watching the movie.

So I guess I can't really recommend it or not recommend it, though it is definitely a unique movie that's worth a shot, just not something I'm personally interested in. So yea, check it out. I think you might like it unfrzn, though I could be wrong.

PSH was definitely VERY good in the lead though, strong performance for sure.

I dunno, I guess its just too metaphorical and shit and lately I just haven't been wanting to think at all. So I watched...

Beetle Juice
I dunno, 7/10? Fuck ratings man. It humored me for an hour and a half, the claymations were cool and stuff. Good movie.

« Last Edit: July 23, 2009, 12:22:19 AM by rrpower » Logged
Whalestoe
« Reply #6502 on: July 23, 2009, 01:23:52 AM »

Do you think I would like this one?

Watch it.

Groggy
Bounty Killer

This post gets Agnew's stamp of approval!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6503 on: July 23, 2009, 01:00:29 PM »

Bad Day at Black Rock - 7-8/10 - Fairly mixed feelings about this one. Well-directed and a great cast, with some really great moments (I love Tracy kicking the crap out of Borgnine in the bar), but I have a lot of problems too. The whole story seemed rather contrived to me; anyone else feel that if Tracy had just explained his business in town things might have gone more smoothly? Are there only the ten people we see in the entire town? (Perhaps this is the sort of town that only exists in the movies.) I can sort of buy the town is guilty and wants to cover up the murder explanation but the movie doesn't execute it very well; it seems like an Idiot Plot to me. I liked it well-enough, and it's probably my favorite Sturges film to date, but not a masterpiece to me.

Saturday nights with Groggy
T.H.
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #6504 on: July 23, 2009, 01:45:47 PM »

Bad Day at Black Rock - 7-8/10 - Fairly mixed feelings about this one. Well-directed and a great cast, with some really great moments (I love Tracy kicking the crap out of Borgnine in the bar), but I have a lot of problems too. The whole story seemed rather contrived to me; anyone else feel that if Tracy had just explained his business in town things might have gone more smoothly? Are there only the ten people we see in the entire town? (Perhaps this is the sort of town that only exists in the movies.) I can sort of buy the town is guilty and wants to cover up the murder explanation but the movie doesn't execute it very well; it seems like an Idiot Plot to me. I liked it well-enough, and it's probably my favorite Sturges film to date, but not a masterpiece to me.

Do you have the same feelings for FaFDM and West? To answer the question, he probably would have been killed or attempted to be killed if he confronted the townsfolk. Tracy's character recognizes that there is something wrong with the town (which the lack of townsfolk only enhances) and he is treated terribly; it's perfectly natural for him to investigate the matter. How would this improve the movie, anyway? Are you going to criticize any film that features a lead whose motives aren't revealed until the third act?

There is nothing "dumb" about the plot, and the fact that there are only a dozen citizens is a nice departure from similar films which give  superfluous characters unnecessary screen time. BDaBR's tense atmosphere negates any potential plot problems, which,  I've never encountered any. I don't care if you don't like the movie, but I found your criticisms to be lacking.

Claudia, we need you to appear in LOST COMMAND. It's gonna revolutionize the war genre. What did you think of the script?
Groggy
Bounty Killer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6505 on: July 23, 2009, 02:34:00 PM »

I'm not saying the movie itself would be better. I'm merely complaining of it as a contrivance. Inasmuch as the townspeople want him dead pretty much right off the bat, it would be a moot point. What I meant was why didn't he say "I'm looking for so-and-so, to give him a medal his son had won in the war?" Nobody in the town is smart enough to show him the house, tell him what "happened" and let him be on his way? Granted they couldn't have guessed he was a tough-guy jujitsu master but on the other hand having another corpse turn up in their town isn't exactly a way to . I guess there wouldn't be a movie then.

Idiot Plot is an Ebert-coined term where the whole plot hinges on characters not saying the right thing. There wouldn't be a movie if Robert Ryan showed him the Komoko ranch, told him about his being sent to the camp, and sent him on his way. Instead they have to act like guilty assholes and immediately arouse his suspicions. That's pretty much the definition of the Idiot Plot.

I did like the movie, hence the rating. I guess I'm not allowed to level any criticism at a movie I like.

T.H.
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #6506 on: July 23, 2009, 03:51:37 PM »

I'm not saying the movie itself would be better. I'm merely complaining of it as a contrivance. Inasmuch as the townspeople want him dead pretty much right off the bat, it would be a moot point. What I meant was why didn't he say "I'm looking for so-and-so, to give him a medal his son had won in the war?" Nobody in the town is smart enough to show him the house, tell him what "happened" and let him be on his way? Granted they couldn't have guessed he was a tough-guy jujitsu master but on the other hand having another corpse turn up in their town isn't exactly a way to . I guess there wouldn't be a movie then.

They want him out of the town, first and foremost. One of this film's many themes is guilt. To be blunt, it simply isn't that easy. If I were ever part of  a murder cover-up, I highly doubt that I would ever be collected enough to handle a mysterious man entering a desolate town. Their paranoia is a major catalyst for the plot to unfold.

Idiot Plot is an Ebert-coined term where the whole plot hinges on characters not saying the right thing. There wouldn't be a movie if Robert Ryan showed him the Komoko ranch, told him about his being sent to the camp, and sent him on his way. Instead they have to act like guilty assholes and immediately arouse his suspicions. That's pretty much the definition of the Idiot Plot.

This logic can be used for possibly thousands of movies.

Another thing to consider, if they lied to Tracy and sent him on his way, he'd dig deeper and eventually come back, and how can you criticize characters living in guilt and fear to not react to situations by striking fear into someone - seems natural to me.

I did like the movie, hence the rating. I guess I'm not allowed to level any criticism at a movie I like.

All I said that I found your criticisms to be lacking or unwarranted. I didn't mean to offend you or anything.

Groggy
Bounty Killer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6507 on: July 23, 2009, 04:21:23 PM »

Nah, I'm not remotely offended.

I don't mind the plot to extent that it ruins the film, it just seems to me rather a contrived storyline. Great movies have been made on far slenderer bits of story though.

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #6508 on: July 23, 2009, 05:43:19 PM »

If I want to nit pick it, the final confrontation where Tracy throws the Molotov Cocktail doesn't seem right.  Gasoline doesn't burn that slow, there has got to be a secret to the real Molotov Cocktail, there is no way that a rag soaked in gas is not going go whoosh and immediately ignite the contents of the bottle, and there has to be a way to keep the flame lit while throwing the bottle.  In the film it looks like the flame and burn rate you get with diesel oil. 

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
PowerRR
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #6509 on: July 23, 2009, 05:59:33 PM »

Badlands

really liked it! =D

Pages: 1 ... 432 433 [434] 435 436 ... 1162 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM