Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 18, 2017, 10:47:33 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Other/Miscellaneous
| |-+  Off-Topic Discussion (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Rate The Last Movie You Saw
Pages: 1 ... 433 434 [435] 436 437 ... 1162 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Rate The Last Movie You Saw  (Read 1761166 times)
T.H.
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #6510 on: July 23, 2009, 07:20:33 PM »

If I want to nit pick it, the final confrontation where Tracy throws the Molotov Cocktail doesn't seem right.  Gasoline doesn't burn that slow, there has got to be a secret to the real Molotov Cocktail, there is no way that a rag soaked in gas is not going go whoosh and immediately ignite the contents of the bottle, and there has to be a way to keep the flame lit while throwing the bottle.  In the film it looks like the flame and burn rate you get with diesel oil.

BDaBR is a personal favorite but I agree that the final confronation, as a whole, could have been better executed. I find it entertaining but the movie deserved a better ending.

and yeah, Badlands is a great movie. From a plot standpoint, much better than DoH but I love that one as well.

Claudia, we need you to appear in LOST COMMAND. It's gonna revolutionize the war genre. What did you think of the script?
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #6511 on: July 23, 2009, 08:05:37 PM »

Urban Dictionary info:

A Molotov cocktail (or petrol bomb) is a crude incendiary weapon which consists of a glass bottle semi-filled with flammable liquid, usually gasoline (petrol) or alcohol (generally methanol or ethanol), the mouth of the bottle is stoppered with a cork or other type of airtight bung (rubber, glass, or plastic), and a cloth rag fixed securely around the mouth. The weapon is used by first soaking the rag in a flammable liquid immediately prior to using it, lighting the rag and throwing the bottle at the target. The bottle shatters on impact, spilling the flammable liquid over the target which is then ignited by the burning rag.

Sometimes, if available, self-inflammatory materials (such as white phosphorus), could also be used to guarantee the bottle's explosion as it hits the target surface. Tar, palm oil or other thickening agents are often added to the composition in order to make the burning fluid stick to the target rather than run off. Finnish soldiers often used hand soap suds as their form of palm oil in their Molotov Cocktails. Modern variations of the Molotov cocktail also contain laundry detergent, liquid dish soap, or crushed up styrofoam cups. The Molotov cocktail is closely related to the same principle of Napalm bombs. Napalm is a contraction of the words naphtha (the flammable part of petrol) and palm oil. Sometimes acid is added to the mix to increase the damaging potential of the liquid, and to increase the chances for it to penetrate fire-resistant surfaces. Molotov cocktails are easy to make and are the standard weaponry of guerrilla warfare and violent rioters.

Despite the crudeness it is tricky for an amateur to make an effective Molotov cocktail. The main failure is in over-filling the bottle. A full bottle will not ignite quickly when it breaks on impact (but has a longer burning potential). For a device to explode rapidly on impact the bottle is only one half to two-thirds full of mixture. One difficulty of mention is not paying attention to carefully wiping the bottle down to remove all traces of the internal flammable liquid from the external parts of the bottle prior to lighting the rag. Another is to mistakenly use the ignition rag to stopper the bottle. Other difficulties come with the proper fixing of the stopper in the mouth of the bottle (it must be airtight to prevent fumes from escaping), the proper fixing of the rag (use metal wire to securely fasten it. Also, a short rag is better), the possibility of mishandling after the rag is ignited, and the use of inappropriate bottles, such as short-necked, wide-mouthed, too fragile or too tough.

The name "Molotov cocktail" is derived from Vyacheslav Mikhailovich Molotov, a Russian communist who was the Foreign Minister and Secretary of War of the Soviet Union during World War II. The soldiers of the Finnish Army successfully used Molotov cocktails against Red Army tanks in the two conflicts (Winter War and Continuation War) between Finland and the Soviet Union, and coined the term to mock Molotov (Soviet planes do not drop bombs but food to help starving Finnish people, he claimed in radio broadcasts).

Molotov cocktails were even mass-produced by the Finnish military, bundled with matches to light them. They had already been used in the Spanish Civil War, sometimes propelled by a sling.

These weapons saw widespread use by all sides in World War II. They were very effective against light tanks, and very bad for enemy morale. The following is a first-hand description of their effects, written during the Warsaw Ghetto Uprising in 1943:

"The well-aimed bottles hit the tank. The flames spread quickly. The blast of the explosion is heard. The machine stands motionless. The crew is burned alive. The other two tanks turn around and withdraw. The Germans who took cover behind them withdraw in panic. We take leave of them with a few well-aimed shots and grenades. "
- Eyewitness Reporting for the Żydowska Organizacja Bojowa (Jewish Fighting Organization), 19 April 1943
During the 1948 Arab-Israeli War, members of the Israeli Kibbutz Dgania managed to stop a Syrian tank assault by using Molotov cocktails.

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
PowerRR
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #6512 on: July 23, 2009, 08:13:59 PM »

DoH > Badlands > TRL

i like all of them a lot. gotta check out New World, lot of people say it sucks but I have faith in it.

Kurug3n
Bounty Killer

Que pasa?

View Profile
« Reply #6513 on: July 23, 2009, 08:36:47 PM »

Urban Dictionary info:

A Molotov cocktail (or petrol bomb) is a crude incendiary weapon which consists of a glass bottle semi-filled with flammable liquid, usually gasoline (petrol) or alcohol (generally methanol or ethanol), the mouth of the bottle is stoppered with a cork or other type of airtight bung (rubber, glass, or plastic), and a cloth rag fixed securely around the mouth. The weapon is used by first soaking the rag in a flammable liquid immediately prior to using it, lighting the rag and throwing the bottle at the target. The bottle shatters on impact, spilling the flammable liquid over the target which is then ignited by the burning rag.

Me and my friends tried to make 1. But it didnt work.

T.H.
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #6514 on: July 23, 2009, 08:46:33 PM »

Me and my friends tried to make 1. But it didnt work.

Not a good idea.

Thanks for sharing the info, joe.

Claudia, we need you to appear in LOST COMMAND. It's gonna revolutionize the war genre. What did you think of the script?
Groggy
Bounty Killer

This post gets Agnew's stamp of approval!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6515 on: July 24, 2009, 12:40:31 PM »

Gandhi - 8/10 - 2nd viewing.

Saturday nights with Groggy
Kurug3n
Bounty Killer

Que pasa?

View Profile
« Reply #6516 on: July 24, 2009, 02:53:57 PM »

Not a good idea.

Im not going to deny it was a really stupid and dangerous idea but I also can't deny it was pretty fun trying to make it.

Predator-8/10

titoli
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #6517 on: July 24, 2009, 03:44:36 PM »

La strada (1954) - I always thought this was the best played movie I know. Quinn (and his italian voice, Arnoldo Foŕ) always struck me, as nobody else ever did in movies, as real. It was a fortune Oscar wasn't awarded at the time to players in foreign movies: it would have been demeaning to what this folks (Quinn, Masina and Basehart) accomplish here (that's why the Oscar to Morricone didn't make me happy). You may not like the movie (those things happen) but nobody can deny the hugeness of the performances (as Quinn himself, in a letter to Fellini and his wife, acknowledged).

titoli
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #6518 on: July 24, 2009, 03:52:05 PM »

Nights of Cabiria (1957) - I still can't understand why many people seem to consider this the best '50's Fellini. Probalby because they're strangers. I still don't rank it as high as I vitelloni, La strada or Il bidone (let alone La dolce vita or 8 & 1\2). It has good scenes but it does too much violence on the characters to keep the plot moving and demonstrate things (especially the sudden transformation of Perier is untolerable). Some great (but not very great) scenes (like the night with the film star or the pilgrimage) and little more. Masina can't play a prostitute convincingly.

moviesceleton
Bounty Killer

The glance that makes holes in the silver screen

View Profile
« Reply #6519 on: July 25, 2009, 04:52:48 AM »

The Fall, beautiful cinematography 7/10
The fall 2006, Oh maybe I'll go 7.5 it was great cinematography but it was lacking something I can't put a finger on.
I'd give The Fall an 8/10. Might rewatch it after my run. CJ is right. The cinematography alone is worth a viewing of the film.
You guys fail to see brilliance of the movie. There's so much more than just the amazing cinematography. It's a story about the magical bond between a storyteller, a listener and a story which becomes more than the sum of its parts. What it was lacking in CJs opinion is actually the correct environment for watching the movie (I assume you watched it on DVD): a cinema with fellow viewers. What the movie talks about is the magic which develops in that very environment while the audience is watching a movie (e.g. The Fall). I've promised myself I will never watch The Fall on DVD.

The movie is not perfect - there are some weaknesses in the story and some scenes are obviously there just for aesthetic reasons. Still The Fall is among the top ten movies of the 00s, IMO.   

"Once Upon a Time in America gets ten-minute ovation at Cannes"
Dust Devil
Bounty Killer

Smoke Tuco, so you can't bullshit!

View Profile
« Reply #6520 on: July 25, 2009, 10:59:32 AM »

I got The Fall, hopefully will watch it soon.

If not, I'm expecting a certain amount of money coming my way from Escondido, CA.

« Last Edit: July 25, 2009, 11:10:15 AM by Dust Devil » Logged

No matter how cleverly you sneak up on a mirror, the reflection always looks you straight in the eye.
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

View Profile
« Reply #6521 on: July 25, 2009, 11:53:37 AM »

Badlands

really liked it! =D
Badlands is good. Love the director's cameo.

That's what you get, Drink, for getting out of bed this morning.
PowerRR
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #6522 on: July 25, 2009, 01:49:41 PM »

Badlands is good. Love the director's cameo.
Who did Malick play?

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

View Profile
« Reply #6523 on: July 25, 2009, 03:30:13 PM »

The numbnuts who comes to the door while the couple are ransacking the house.

That's what you get, Drink, for getting out of bed this morning.
Groggy
Bounty Killer

This post gets Agnew's stamp of approval!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6524 on: July 25, 2009, 05:57:37 PM »

My Dog Rusty - 101/10 - Blind guy accidentally killing his adorable little dog by dropping a vase on him = win.

Rewatched parts of Lord Jim (the James Mason parts) on TCM this morning, hope to give the film a second look in the near-future.

Saturday nights with Groggy
Pages: 1 ... 433 434 [435] 436 437 ... 1162 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM