Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 19, 2017, 05:57:38 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Other/Miscellaneous
| |-+  Off-Topic Discussion (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Rate The Last Movie You Saw
Pages: 1 ... 434 435 [436] 437 438 ... 1162 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Rate The Last Movie You Saw  (Read 1763357 times)
Whalestoe
« Reply #6525 on: July 25, 2009, 08:35:29 PM »

I got The Fall, hopefully will watch it soon.

If not, I'm expecting a certain amount of money coming my way from Escondido, CA.

Haha, whatever. How much? I'll send 5 bucks if you don't like it.

Dust Devil
Bounty Killer

Smoke Tuco, so you can't bullshit!

View Profile
« Reply #6526 on: July 26, 2009, 11:24:58 AM »

Haha, whatever. How much? I'll send 5 bucks if you don't like it.

10 bucks, plus what the shrink charges me.

No matter how cleverly you sneak up on a mirror, the reflection always looks you straight in the eye.
Kurug3n
Bounty Killer

Que pasa?

View Profile
« Reply #6527 on: July 26, 2009, 02:12:16 PM »

Pink Floyds The Wall 8/10

Midnight screening. Another Brick In The Wall and What Shall We Do Now are my favorite parts.

Groggy
Bounty Killer

This post gets Agnew's stamp of approval!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6528 on: July 26, 2009, 03:49:45 PM »

March or Die - 7/10 - Good, not great, adventure flick set during the Moroccan Rif War of 1921. Takes a lot of time setting the scene; the movie has a sort of art/history vs. humanity theme similar to The Train but not nearly as well-developed. The Hackman/Terrence Hill conflict is pretty cliche and not fully realized for some reason, and the movie leaves interesting supporting characters (the upper-class Brit, the Tsar's hulking ex-bodyguard a pair of German soldiers who switched sides on Armistice Day) underdeveloped. The romance subplot with Catherine Denevue is superfluous and tacked on. The final battle between the Foreign Legionnaires and the Rifs is one of the best battle scenes I've ever seen, period - heck, the horribly suspenseful build-up, with Hackman in an inexplicable stupor as an army of 2,000 Berbers is bearing down on his men, is alone worth watching. Hackman is great, Hill is okay, rest of the cast is pretty much underdeveloped (I quite like Ian Holm as the evil Arab though, seems to be channeling Eli Wallach at times). Looks like a very low-budget production overall but manages to maintain a good scope and sense of excitement. I also note this is a very early Jerry Bruckheimer production.

« Last Edit: July 26, 2009, 05:50:54 PM by Groggy » Logged

Saturday nights with Groggy
Groggy
Bounty Killer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6529 on: July 26, 2009, 05:12:48 PM »

Dillinger (1945) - 4/10 - Finally got around to finishing it (thanks to IMDB), all I have to say is: what a load of drek. The only scene remotely accurate is the jailbreak, everything else is cheeseball cliche B-movie gangster stuff (but nobody runs through an overlit nocturnal forest so that's good). Entire scenes are cannibalized from other movies, most notably a robbery scene from You Only Live Once, which certainly isn't an endorsement either. Lawrence Tierney is good I guess but he's not playing Dillinger so much as Johnny Generic Hollywood Gangster, a mean-faced crook who's not only a bank robber but a cold-blooded killer who emotionlessly shoots down his partners and two old people. The rest of the cast is pretty bad, even the usually-great Elisha Cook Jr. Little more than a curio, I fear; if anything my rating might be overly generous.

« Last Edit: July 26, 2009, 05:16:53 PM by Groggy » Logged

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #6530 on: July 26, 2009, 05:20:22 PM »

Dillinger (1945) - 4/10 - Finally got around to finishing it (thanks to IMDB), all I have to say is: what a load of drek. The only scene remotely accurate is the jailbreak, everything else is cheeseball cliche B-movie gangster stuff (but nobody runs through an overlit nocturnal forest so that's good). Entire scenes are cannibalized from other movies, most notably a robbery scene from You Only Live Once, which certainly isn't an endorsement either. Lawrence Tierney is good I guess but he's not playing Dillinger so much as Johnny Generic Hollywood Gangster, a mean-faced crook who's not only a bank robber but a cold-blooded killer who emotionlessly shoots down his partners and two old people. The rest of the cast is pretty bad, even the usually-great Elisha Cook Jr. Little more than a curio, I fear; if anything my rating might be overly generous.

Never seen it. But how could it cannibalize You Only Live Once in 1945?

« Last Edit: July 26, 2009, 05:29:22 PM by cigar joe » Logged

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
Groggy
Bounty Killer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6531 on: July 26, 2009, 05:47:19 PM »

The movie came out in 1937.

http://us.imdb.com/title/tt0029808/

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #6532 on: July 26, 2009, 05:51:42 PM »

I though you meant the Bond film.

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
Groggy
Bounty Killer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6533 on: July 26, 2009, 05:52:43 PM »

That would have been difficult. Wink

Groggy
Bounty Killer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6534 on: July 27, 2009, 07:07:36 AM »

BTW CJ, nobody in the Tierney Dilinger that I remembered did any smoking.

titoli
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #6535 on: July 27, 2009, 01:26:22 PM »

I though you meant the Bond film.

That is a life more.

Groggy
Bounty Killer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6536 on: July 27, 2009, 01:55:28 PM »

Barry Lyndon - Will seek out the appropriate thread for my thoughts on a second viewing.

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

View Profile
« Reply #6537 on: July 28, 2009, 11:39:13 AM »

Lawrence Tierney is good I guess but he's not playing Dillinger so much as Johnny Generic Hollywood Gangster, a mean-faced crook who's not only a bank robber but a cold-blooded killer who emotionlessly shoots down his partners and two old people.
That's entertainment, as far as I'm concerned. Tierney pretty much played every role the same, as a psycho. My fave is his role in Born to Kill.

That's what you get, Drink, for getting out of bed this morning.
Groggy
Bounty Killer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6538 on: July 28, 2009, 02:10:39 PM »

Lord Jim - 7/10 - 2nd viewing. Still think the second half is pretty draggy aside from James Mason's scenes. I'm not sure that I like O'Toole's performance; he's pretty much reprising his role as Lawrence without the sense of humor, and not nearly as well.

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

View Profile
« Reply #6539 on: July 28, 2009, 04:12:15 PM »

Lord Jim - 7/10 - 2nd viewing. Still think the second half is pretty draggy aside from James Mason's scenes. I'm not sure that I like O'Toole's performance; he's pretty much reprising his role as Lawrence without the sense of humor, and not nearly as well.
Fair enough, although I think Jim is the better written character. His sense of responsibility extends to the point where he is willing to surrender his life to atone for his mistakes. Lawrence, by contrast, treats his Arabian adventures as little more than a lark. When things don't work out, he just goes home. His death, when it comes, is random and meaningless.

That's what you get, Drink, for getting out of bed this morning.
Pages: 1 ... 434 435 [436] 437 438 ... 1162 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM