Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 15, 2017, 04:50:16 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Other/Miscellaneous
| |-+  Off-Topic Discussion (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Rate The Last Movie You Saw
Pages: 1 ... 438 439 [440] 441 442 ... 1170 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Rate The Last Movie You Saw  (Read 1838823 times)
moviesceleton
Bounty Killer

The glance that makes holes in the silver screen

View Profile
« Reply #6585 on: August 08, 2009, 01:37:03 AM »

can you add anything else?
Well, I always have problems deciding what to think of Cronenberg's movies... I probably would have liked it better if it had stayed on a more realistic stage, i.e. the metamorphosis are too over the top for me (although I guess at least most of them are not "real"). And the substance is somewhat aged. If Cronenberg made the movie now, I bet he would attack the Internet instead of cable TV. The movie starts off very strong but then, at some point, it almost becomes a mess with all the different levels of reality. A bit too much stuff going on for one movie but in the end it's still a good sci-fi thriller. But Dead Ringers is better.   

"Once Upon a Time in America gets ten-minute ovation at Cannes"
Dust Devil
Bounty Killer

Smoke Tuco, so you can't bullshit!

View Profile
« Reply #6586 on: August 08, 2009, 07:32:31 AM »

13th Warrior - perhaps 7,5/10?

I was convinced I already mentioned this one here when I watched it for the first time, but it seems not...
Well, it's not a masterpiece of art that would blow me away on first viewing - I had rather mixed feelings about it on first viewing, though I certainly found it more enjoyable than the average rating on IMDb would suggest. If nothing else, it had the interesting premise of an Arab among Vikings.
It's not masterpiece of art, but it's the kind of thing that grows on me - I watched it again today and enjoyed it a lot, it somehow seemed much better balanced than I remembered it... So I expect to regularly come back to it and always enjoy. There are moments and things I do not like (such as the armour people mention on IMDb - it being from a later era; when you have an eye for such things, it really disturbs you), it certainly could have been better in many aspects, but whatever. I do not expect it to be Leone or Kurosawa.
(One thing that I disike more than the armour, though, is the snake on the Wendol mother. It doesn't look like the kind of snake to live in Scandinavia, so, for a while, you'd thing they're actually in Amazonia or a similar place... at least it evoked such feelings in me.)

Paradoxically, the Wendols are the weakest point of the movie; we're let to believe they have supernatural powers (or at least their leader), but in the end it turns out they're only Neanderthals. The assault on their cave(s) is far from satisfactory, end then it gets even worse - the movie doesn't end.

« Last Edit: August 08, 2009, 07:33:53 AM by Dust Devil » Logged

No matter how cleverly you sneak up on a mirror, the reflection always looks you straight in the eye.
T.H.
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #6587 on: August 08, 2009, 10:40:12 AM »

Well, I always have problems deciding what to think of Cronenberg's movies... I probably would have liked it better if it had stayed on a more realistic stage, i.e. the metamorphosis are too over the top for me (although I guess at least most of them are not "real"). And the substance is somewhat aged. If Cronenberg made the movie now, I bet he would attack the Internet instead of cable TV. The movie starts off very strong but then, at some point, it almost becomes a mess with all the different levels of reality. A bit too much stuff going on for one movie but in the end it's still a good sci-fi thriller. But Dead Ringers is better.    

The first half, maybe, but that movie falls apart once the actress character leaves the twins to shoot a film. After that, DR resorts to bad melodrama.

My only knock on Videodrome is that it's a bit rushed - the story should be more fleshed out.

Claudia, we need you to appear in LOST COMMAND. It's gonna revolutionize the war genre. What did you think of the script?
Kurug3n
Bounty Killer

Que pasa?

View Profile
« Reply #6588 on: August 08, 2009, 12:31:22 PM »

Thanks movieselection. Been meaning to see it for a while.

Once Upon A Time In America

Its been awhile since I last saw it and I forgot just almost what the film is about. RR was right about the cut between disk 1 and 2 and the only solution I could see if its released on Blu-Ray.

moviesceleton
Bounty Killer

The glance that makes holes in the silver screen

View Profile
« Reply #6589 on: August 09, 2009, 04:38:00 AM »

Cat People (1942) - 7/10
What's the big deal here? IMO, it's an OK/good movie with a couple of powerful scenes but definitely not a masterpiece. I remember liking the sequel better although I can't understand how, because I hadn't seen this one yet...

"Once Upon a Time in America gets ten-minute ovation at Cannes"
Groggy
Bounty Killer

This post gets Agnew's stamp of approval!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6590 on: August 09, 2009, 08:14:01 AM »

The big deal is that it's a masterpiece. One of the few horror films I genuinely love (Jaws and some of Hitchcock being the only others that comes to mind).

Saturday nights with Groggy
Dust Devil
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #6591 on: August 09, 2009, 08:16:35 AM »

The remake was stupid and dull. -- AVOID AT ALL COSTS --

No matter how cleverly you sneak up on a mirror, the reflection always looks you straight in the eye.
Groggy
Bounty Killer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6592 on: August 09, 2009, 10:15:32 AM »

The remake of Cat People is fucking awful. We watched both films in our film class and the gulf in quality between them is astonishing.

The Peacemaker
Bounty Killer

OH SH*T!

View Profile
« Reply #6593 on: August 09, 2009, 10:56:58 AM »

I know I'm probably gonna get slammed for this...but......

La Dolce Vita  -  3/10

I don't understand the hype behind this film. I've heard so many people claim it to be a hypnotic masterpiece yet I could barely retain my focus on the screen. For me it was incredibly boring, so much so I had to stop it 2 hours in. I tried to keep going but when I thought the agonizing film would end in 15 to 20 minutes I was shocked to see there was still another 50.  Shocked

I understand what Fellini was going for, but there was no need to make that film 3 hours long. There were too many scenes that felt like they were thrown in for the hell of it and did not progress the narrative any further. Besides the boring material and the pointless scenes I found much of the acting dated and corny.

I will attempt to watch this again in the near future. There was at least one thing that made the picture interesting...the lovely Anita Ekberg.   Wink

Dust Devil
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #6594 on: August 09, 2009, 11:34:31 AM »

The times are different, that's all there is to it.

T.H.
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #6595 on: August 09, 2009, 12:06:18 PM »

I know I'm probably gonna get slammed for this...but......

La Dolce Vita  -  3/10

I don't understand the hype behind this film. I've heard so many people claim it to be a hypnotic masterpiece yet I could barely retain my focus on the screen. For me it was incredibly boring, so much so I had to stop it 2 hours in. I tried to keep going but when I thought the agonizing film would end in 15 to 20 minutes I was shocked to see there was still another 50.  Shocked

I understand what Fellini was going for, but there was no need to make that film 3 hours long. There were too many scenes that felt like they were thrown in for the hell of it and did not progress the narrative any further. Besides the boring material and the pointless scenes I found much of the acting dated and corny.

I will attempt to watch this again in the near future. There was at least one thing that made the picture interesting...the lovely Anita Ekberg.   Wink

*****************SPOILERS******************

No offense, but you obviously don't understand what Fellini was going for. The plot is episodic, and each event says something about the character, about the world. La Dolce Vita is probably the gloomiest movie ever made, as far as theme. It basically states that life is meaningless and that you will be unhappy no matter what you choose. The ending is one of the best moments in cinema. Fellini gives you extentialism through excitement - through movie stars, the rich, the elite, the artists - it's great.

I also don't understand how anyone can think this movie is boring, it's honestly one of the most entertaining pictures I've ever seen.

But if I remember correctly, you don't like In a Lonely Place, so our tastes are way off considering these are two of my ten favorite movies.

The times are different, that's all there is to it.

I don't understand what you're trying to say.

« Last Edit: August 09, 2009, 12:07:42 PM by T.H. » Logged

Claudia, we need you to appear in LOST COMMAND. It's gonna revolutionize the war genre. What did you think of the script?
Dust Devil
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #6596 on: August 09, 2009, 12:25:34 PM »

I don't understand what you're trying to say.

He's 18. How many 18-year-olds could you find that like Fellini in general?

« Last Edit: August 09, 2009, 12:27:40 PM by Dust Devil » Logged

The Peacemaker
Bounty Killer

OH SH*T!

View Profile
« Reply #6597 on: August 09, 2009, 12:46:17 PM »

It has absolutely nothing to do with my age. I saw Visconti's The Leopard which is longer and perhaps slower than La Dolce Vita and I thought it was excellent, matter of fact I own the Criterion DVD. I felt more attached to the characters in that film whereas the ones in La Dolce Vita felt more like one dimensional cartoon characters ( I understand Fellini did this intentionally to show the shallowness of those who live "the sweet life" but I really felt it was over-kill ). In The Leopard I truly felt the feeling of isolation and nostalgia Fabrizio felt whereas Marcello in LDV felt the same emotions yet I found it difficult to connect to his character.

With all do respect, I find it a bit offensive that people believe I don't like the film because of my age. I understood the mood and themes Fellini tried to convey in the film but I felt that after about half way through the movie he was just beating it into his audience. I get it, the media is a circus, the papparazzi are pricks, and the rich and famous are shallow creatures who all live a meaningless existence behind a ceremonial facade. I don't need to endure 3 hours of slow, absurd sequences which go nowhere to comprehend the meaning of the film.

Groggy
Bounty Killer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6598 on: August 09, 2009, 02:14:32 PM »

Leprechaun in Space - 100/10 - Warwick Davis doing a John Wayne impersonation = mindfuck. "As Shakespeare said, Shit happens!"

Dust Devil
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #6599 on: August 09, 2009, 02:47:30 PM »

With all do respect, I find it a bit offensive that people believe I don't like the film because of my age. I understood the mood and themes Fellini tried to convey in the film but I felt that after about half way through the movie he was just beating it into his audience. I get it, the media is a circus, the papparazzi are pricks, and the rich and famous are shallow creatures who all live a meaningless existence behind a ceremonial facade. I don't need to endure 3 hours of slow, absurd sequences which go nowhere to comprehend the meaning of the film.

Listen, if I really wanted to offend you, be sure you would have no doubt what so ever it really was my intention. You wouldn't have to find anything, you would just read it and know I offended you. In short lines: there was obviously no intention of that kind coming from my side. In fact, I'm offended that after a considerable time being a member of this board I have to explain such things.

The funny part is that in the (bolded) part of your post you explained what I meant. The times are different, audiences changed. You come from a visual generation, you take these things he's talking about for granted, it is normal his inert expressionism of 50 years before doesn't have the same effect on you as on young people then, who were waiting for movies as one of the rare forms of entertainment available at the time. The same thing goes for Fellini: he was just a kid trying to tell his story.

« Last Edit: August 09, 2009, 02:48:43 PM by Dust Devil » Logged

Pages: 1 ... 438 439 [440] 441 442 ... 1170 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM