Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 11, 2017, 09:22:33 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Other/Miscellaneous
| |-+  Off-Topic Discussion (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Rate The Last Movie You Saw
Pages: 1 ... 440 441 [442] 443 444 ... 1169 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Rate The Last Movie You Saw  (Read 1832067 times)
T.H.
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #6615 on: August 10, 2009, 02:12:44 PM »

How so?

It's one of the most pretentious, psuedo-intellectual movies I've ever seen.

Claudia, we need you to appear in LOST COMMAND. It's gonna revolutionize the war genre. What did you think of the script?
Kurug3n
Bounty Killer

Que pasa?

View Profile
« Reply #6616 on: August 10, 2009, 02:39:15 PM »

It's one of the most pretentious, psuedo-intellectual movies I've ever seen.

What are you talking about?

T.H.
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #6617 on: August 10, 2009, 03:03:58 PM »

It presnets itself as an intellectual movie, social commentary, what have you, when in fact it says nothing and takes itself way too seriously. Stating that Richard Kelly is a hack would be an insult to all the hacks in cinemaland.

Claudia, we need you to appear in LOST COMMAND. It's gonna revolutionize the war genre. What did you think of the script?
Kurug3n
Bounty Killer

Que pasa?

View Profile
« Reply #6618 on: August 10, 2009, 03:09:06 PM »

It presnets itself as an intellectual movie, social commentary, what have you, when in fact it says nothing and takes itself way too seriously. Stating that Richard Kelly is a hack would be an insult to all the hacks in cinemaland.

Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin

Whalestoe
« Reply #6619 on: August 10, 2009, 03:54:57 PM »

Afro

Groggy
Bounty Killer

This post gets Agnew's stamp of approval!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6620 on: August 10, 2009, 04:11:00 PM »

The Sting - 7/10 - A fun if rather slight caper flick by the people who brought you Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid. At the very least it lacks the self-conscious smarmy "hipness" that made me dislike Butch Cassidy after several viewings. Redford is great and steals the movie away from Newman; Robert Shaw is excellent and Charles Durning's crooked cop provides his share of laughs. Nice score although the attempts to make it look like an old-timey film weren't always success. (It kind of lost me with the use of silenced revolvers though.) Still, a nice waste of a couple hours, though I don't know if I'd watch it again.

Saturday nights with Groggy
Dust Devil
Bounty Killer

Smoke Tuco, so you can't bullshit!

View Profile
« Reply #6621 on: August 10, 2009, 07:35:49 PM »

Shattered Glass (2003) - 7.8/10

No great doors being opened, but the actors deliver in this nifty little drama.

No matter how cleverly you sneak up on a mirror, the reflection always looks you straight in the eye.
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #6622 on: August 11, 2009, 05:20:25 AM »

T.H. this gives me two dirty thoughts:

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
Kurug3n
Bounty Killer

Que pasa?

View Profile
« Reply #6623 on: August 11, 2009, 12:05:45 PM »

Man On Fire- 8.9/10

Tony Scott made a really great revenge movie.

T.H.
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #6624 on: August 11, 2009, 01:04:18 PM »

T.H. this gives me two dirty thoughts:

lol that's the greatest picture ever.

Groggy
Bounty Killer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6625 on: August 11, 2009, 02:56:53 PM »

The Unforgiven - 8/10 - On a first viewing, I don't understand this film's poor reputation. I might have to see it again but it's at least as good if not better than the similarly-themed The Searchers, and at the very least lacking the obnoxious Ford humor which plagues that film. Audrey Hepburn seems miscast but does a terrific job (if nothing else this is one of her most beautiful roles); Burt Lancaster is good if unspectacular; Lillian Gish, John Saxon and Audie Murphy steal the film. The movie does a nice job analyzing its subject matter, though it reverts to convention in the final battle with the Kiowas - but at least it's well-handled. The movie's biggest flaw is lacking a performance and central character equal to John Wayne as Ethan Edwards, but all things considered it can be forgiven.

T.H.
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #6626 on: August 11, 2009, 03:12:08 PM »

The Unforgiven

I've had so many opportunities to see this and never have. I really should watch this one.

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

View Profile
« Reply #6627 on: August 11, 2009, 04:19:30 PM »

The Unforgiven .... but all things considered it can be forgiven.
Hahahahaha. You journalist, you!!!

That's what you get, Drink, for being such an annoying Melville fanboy.
Groggy
Bounty Killer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6628 on: August 12, 2009, 07:33:38 AM »

Manhattan Melodrama - 7/10 - Pretty good gangster flick, very much a product of its time but worth watching. It's entertaining enough to be more than just a curios - good acting, nice direction even if the story is pretty cornball. And that Myrna Loy is something.

Groggy
Bounty Killer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6629 on: August 12, 2009, 12:36:05 PM »

The Deer Hunter - 4/10 - What a piece of drek. Starts as an interminable slice of life film with endless scenes of meatheads goofing on each other, then an endless wedding scene which would put Visconti and Coppola to sleep, and never picks up for more than a few minutes in a clip after that. The Vietnam scenes are laughable, going out of their way to demonize the VC in a way that would make WWII propaganda films blush with shame (throwing grenades in a shelter full of babies) and full of cartoonish, badly-executed scenes that go nowhere. It doesn't have anything insightful to say about Vietnam, human nature or war in general beyond the very general and obvious "War is hell" message. The scenes of De Niro trying to readjust to civilian life is reasonably interesting, but then comes the Saigon climax which seems air-lifted in from another movie. Furthermore, Cimino doesn't seem to know how to edit anything; when Leone (for instance) draws something out it's for a purpose, here there seems little reason but to pad the run time and Cimino's directorial style is as kitchen-sink as one could get. Acting is good given the material they have to work with, and Meryl Streep looks surprisingly attractive. Its status as a brilliant masterpiece is utterly ridiculous. Based on this (and its reputation) I can't even imagine how godawful I would find Heaven's Gate.

« Last Edit: August 12, 2009, 12:53:54 PM by Groggy » Logged

Pages: 1 ... 440 441 [442] 443 444 ... 1169 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM